Sam.l

Replacing dash clock bulbs.

Following an unsuccessful search on the forum i was hoping someone could shed any light on replacement of the dash clocks bulbs/lights. One of them has gone out over the fuel gauge and was wondering whether it was a simple fix and what bulb would be needed and a quick how-to if possible! Any help would be appreciated :-)

thanks in advance,

Sam.

iirc there are three small bulbs along the top, quite easy to replace really, and the bulbs were availiable from VW when i did mine.

Just remove the whole instrutment cluster and fit them from the back

http://www.dubdesignindustries.com/installation/gaugeinstall.pdf is a nice guide to getting the dash clocks out mate, the bottom left and middle pics on the 1st page, where the 3 holes are by the blue strip is where the 3 dash lights go. They're twist and pull ones, like these but can't remember what type they are http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulbs-Lamps-x-6-Dash-Board-Audi-VW-Seat-Skoda-/320851730959?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab440e20f#ht_500wt_1287

Plus if u want u can use different coloured bulbs, or use a different coloured strip (Corrado uses green, with white coloured bulbs)

Edited by V-Dubstar

great thanks a lot guys. I tried doing a search but didn't manage to uncover anything! will have a go this weekend methinks. Thanks again :-)

---------- Post added at 6:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:11 PM ----------

Are the bulbs available at halfords at all? or if a dealer part does anyone have a part number? im guessin i probably wont need one though?

great thanks dragon green! will get hold of some and hopefully get on it this week.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Just had a read through the how-to and it seems to explain how to change bulbs in the clocks themselves i.e the lcd screen on the left. I was wondering are the part numbers the same for all the bulbs in the instrument cluster as it is the lights over the top that light up the entire cluster that have gone in mine. Any info would be great, thanks in advance!

Hi, I have a light out over my dash also, I'm going to try vw Tomorrow for a bulb, I think these can be changed with out roving the whole clocks? The clear screen comes away and you can see/access the bulbs to replace. Is my memory correct or am I wrong here? Haha, also are they twist and pull or just pull? Don't want to damage them. Might change all 3 while its apart :) thanks

Remove the binnicle surround, remove two screws (one either side of the clocks) and it'll tilt forward. The lamps are accessed from the back, so just quarter twist and remove. Easy peasy! :thumbleft:

I won't have to mess about with the speedo cable etc.. Mine is a 1.8 16v (kr) I have taken off the clear plastic front b4. Know you can see the bulbs then easily (3 along the top) just don't want to be disconnecting bits. Will never work again :-( lol.

I'm currently thinking of buying a C and when we test drove it it seemed most the dash bulbs were out! it seemed illuminated slightly from above but not at all from behind the clocks even the digital mileage etc was out. Do you guys think its just multiple bulbs out or could it be something else?

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread a little

could be either. They are a screw fit (90deg turn) iirc they're 509T bulbs. They do eventually burn out but can be easily replaced.