vr-man

I've pulled my handbrake off!

My handbrake went suddenly slack the other day. I assumed something was amiss with the cables but on inspection under the plastic I found I had ripped out one of the fixing bolts. The car has done almost 190K now and maybe a heavy hand over all that time will fatigue the metal plate which is not all that chunky. Currently planning to get a strengthening plate welded on around the bolt.

Anyone else had this problem? I wonder what you did for a repair.

Yea done exactly the same thing, just welded the piece back on. Didn't really want to get into surgery on the car

Did any of you put on another piece of metal or did you simply weld the bolt to what was left of the plate?

I got a new thread welded back on. By welding the bolt over the top on the mech, it could create problems when if trying to remove the cables, or it would on the Golf anyway. Just seemed a bit of a bodge welding the lot down if you know what I mean.

Same here, although I'll have to get it done again as the local garage didn't weld it flat, so it pulls the trim up with it. They also managed to cut my leather passenger seat. Not a good day at the office!