P3rks

VR6 Mocal Oil Cooler

I'm looking at buying a Mocal kit for my VR6, I've been doing the research but there is no definitive thread.

I'm planning on going the external oil cooler fitted behind the grill and in front of the radiator, with braided hoses, a thermostatic sandwich plate and fully removing the existing oil cooler.

Questions:

Will a 16x235mm Oil cooler be ok?

Is the the extension bolt I need to fasten the sandwich plate to the retaining cap/engine: http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p3400/VOLKSWAGEN-VR6-EXTENSION-BOLT/product_info.html I plan on fully removing the existing oil cooler.

How do I know if my current retaining bolt/cap is the type which can be split? I know it's the early type which is needed but is there any visual check I can do before I remove mine?

Any idea on how long the hoses need to be and if I require straight or 90 degree fixings

Where can I buy a full kit?, or is buying separate parts better? (read cheaper)

Thanks. :thumbleft:

I have a Mocal oil cooler kit sitting on the garage floor taking up space as it happens. It's a kit Stealth racing build to place the cooler in the nearside corner of the bumper. We found putting it in front of the radiator seriously over cools the oil in the winter months.

OOO.. Whats the details of the kit and whats it come with?

PM me if you want?

I have a Mocal oil cooler kit sitting on the garage floor taking up space as it happens. It's a kit Stealth racing build to place the cooler in the nearside corner of the bumper. We found putting it in front of the radiator seriously over cools the oil in the winter months.

Like me I think you put something in front to cover it during the winter didnt you? I used a piece of cardboard.

Here's a few pictures for reference, i kept the origional water to oil cooler in the system, using a thermosatic sandwitch plate with pirtek rubber hoses and an 11 row x 235mm cooler. I made a cover with 4 large holes in, and i just cover the holes up one by one as the ambiant temperature drops and vise versa.

Matt

Here's a few pictures for reference, i kept the origional water to oil cooler in the system, using a thermosatic sandwitch plate with pirtek rubber hoses and an 11 row x 235mm cooler. I made a cover with 4 large holes in, and i just cover the holes up one by one as the ambiant temperature drops and vise versa.

Matt

Looks a good set up, what temps were you running?

Is that a Rotex I spy there? :thumbleft:

Last August I seeing 86-92 Deg C on a motorway run compared to 94 - 102 Deg C with no cooler. On track I would see 112 Deg C tops compared to 128 Deg C without cooler the previous year at the ring. I run 10w50 Morris X-RPM competition oil, it's good quality oil. The compressor is a vortech V9-F