Sign in to follow this  
VW Corrado 16V

"Never drive your car on 1st gear over 5000 turnover&qu

The man that sold me my car (1.8i 16V) told me that I must never drive it on 1st gear over 5000 turnover. When I drive it like that I'm gonna crash the engine. That is typically for all Corrados.

Is that true? Unless the pointer come to red zone I think there is not such a problem? But I know that 1 st gear is only to start.

Why only 16V Corrados are with 8000 turnover?

turnover - a motor with revolutions

I've never heard that before.... :?

I used to rev my 1.8 16V to the red line in every gear when I was going for it! ;) Never had a problem with it... As long as you let the car warm up properly so the oil's nice and warm before you start taking it up high on the rev counter, you should be fine... 8)

Yeah I agree with henny, I always rag my 16v to the redline when its nicely warmed up, you have to if you want it tom go fast! 16v engines live for high revs, hence the relatively high redline!!! you wont damage it unless its cold mate!

Yep, I agree with the above too, high revving is normal for all 16v engines surely. Feels like you are thrashing them a bit, but they really come to life at higher revs, especially 5000plus rpm. Warm the engine up fully then go for a good high rev blat and you should feel the difference when the motor really starts spinning! Dont redline it though, obviously!

Mind you, first gear at 5000RPM, why would you want to do that?! I'm talking about 5000RPM in 3rd/4th etc. as you accelerate....>

what a load of sh1te. it doesn't matter what gear you in.

ring it's neck in every gear, it's the only way to drive a 1.8 16v anyway.

ring it's neck in every gear, it's the only way to drive a 1.8 16v anyway.

not so, i enjoy sticking to the speed limit, taking thorough care of my engine through careful considerate driving. LMFAO.

hell yeah, slap the red line - it's what it's there for. :D :D :D

definatly the only way to drive them :twisted: as kvwloon said though, dont redline it...especially while overtaking renault laguna drivers who laugh at the look of panic on your face :oops: I really could do with a shift light.

The bad (?) thing about the VR is it's sooo smoooth you don't really notice if you're approaching the redline... I've bounced off the rev limiter a coupla times myself cos the engine wasn't making any noticeable complaint-type noises. My old Vauxhall would have had me jumping outa my skin by 5000rpm, let alone 6,700...!

The VR's limiter is set at 6700??? Still haven't managed to hit it yet, although I haven't been far of it :mrgreen:

timo

I think it depends which car you have. The early ones had a different limit to laters.

But there's not much power left above 6200 anyway, so it's no advantage...

true, never really give it much stick anyway. Its away getting head rebuild and chipped. I will be able to change gear sooner now due to a tad more torque 8)

timo

My VR used to rev to 7200 before it hit the limter.

I always thought it was set at 6600, so I was racing it up to that. then, when I went past it It htough, "hang about!" so I took it up to 7000 and beyond in the first 3 gears, and knocked half a second off my times!

I change at 5500 most times so it falls nicely back into the 4500rpm peak torque range. As mentioned already, not much point going over 6000rpm unless you're PhatVR6 :lol:

blimey!! Dont like to rev it that hard. Plus, you can watch the fuel guage going down at a fast rate! :mrgreen:

Cant wait till the weekend. Get my car back in exchange for a large sum of dosh :?

Its gonna be a long week

timo

I change at 5500 most times so it falls nicely back into the 4500rpm peak torque range. As mentioned already, not much point going over 6000rpm unless you're PhatVR6 :lol:

Aii, I was just thinking the same thing 8)

timo

definatly the only way to drive them :twisted: as kvwloon said though, dont redline it...especially while overtaking renault laguna drivers who laugh at the look of panic on your face :oops: I really could do with a shift light.

Should have seen the look of panic on my face yesterday, 5000 plus revs on a large roundabout, slipping into third...then realised in my haste had somehow very nearly gone in to reverse!....yeouwch..:oops: :shock: