Benjevw

Aux water pump question

Right I got given the "correct" pump from GSF and after removing my original unit noticed that its different!

The new 1 is shorter ,therefore not sitting in the holders properly, and also the plug on tops different.

5e0713b6-6996-596c.jpg

5e0713b6-69af-9794.jpg

Old unit with 2 plastic guides

5e0713b6-69d2-edab.jpg

New unit with 1 plastic guide.

5e0713b6-69fb-96e2.jpg

I managed to get the part number off the old pump and it comes up as a Bosch part , and after a quick search found its quite pricey

0 392 020 051

I did a search but couldn't find much on the subject. Was wondering if there's a pump from any other vw that fits ? Or do you have to alter the plug? . Or if someone could point me in the right direction incase I've missed the thread. Just need to get it back on now so I can get her on the road :)

Cheers guys

Edited by Benjevw

i had to buy my replacement pump from VW, around £80 from memory, as couldn't find the correct type from the usual GSF, EPC etc

you could try ford as they used the vr6 in the galaxy.

I replaced mine a few months back and it looks just the same as your new one, Is yours an early or late VR?

Part number from vagcat is 251965561B for the pump.

Cheers aide I'll try ford and Vw tomorra mornin.

Its a K plate 93 . I'm guessing it's early ? Are they different depending on year then?

Cheers for the quick replys guys

Picked up a new 1 from Vw thismornin . 120 f##king pounds!!

That's me broke for the month :(

Cheers for the comments peeps

Ben

bit late now, but you could've swapped the impeller housing onto the old motor body, it's a magnetic drive, so really easy to do.

Matt

Yea a tad too late now lol cheers anyway fellas. I was thinkin about modifying the plug but just incase it didn't work didn't want to lose out on getting my money back for it.

The correct Vw/Etka part number is the 1 from vagcat stated earlier.

Cheers

I bought the same replacement pump from GSF and they also supplied me with main steeler part no for the different plug, which cost few quid!

Oh rite! My GSF don't seem to know a lot lol . The guy at Vw wasn't really botherd about helping me either. Said it would take a couple of days to order in but after I asked him to double check he found it in stock! I knew There was a reason I didn't go there first!

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Electric-Water-Pump-0392020024/dp/B004RI5Z7O

As it says in the description, avoid the fake non-bosch ones (which the GSF one looks to be) as they are utter sheeeeeeite!

But £120 for that little thing is utterly scandalous. Perhaps one off the 1.8T or R32 would be cheaper? Same bloody thing, just a different connector on the top.

If there's no vibration or noise at all from it, sounds like it's dead, or the circuit controlling it is dead.

The problem with magnetic drive pumps is they get silted up with metallic crud. Take the impeller housing off (3 screws) and see if it still spins freely.

It's a brand new pump, that's why I swapped it! What's it run from? Been having non-specific coolant issues (gauge misreading, rad fans coming on extremely rarely and only on stage 3) so I wonder if my fan controller's died.

Ah right.

The yellow temp sender controls the pump and the dash gauge. Pins 1 & 4 do the pump. 2 & 3 do the temp gauge.

The pump is driven from the Fan control unit, via a black/red wire in the small 10 way plug. So I would begin your investigation by seeing if you get 12V across the pump plug with the ignition on and / or when up to temp and engine off. If no juice, suspect the yellow sender first.

Thanks for that. I changed the yellow sender around Oct-Nov and the gauge behaviour changed - it used to rest on the endstop (from cold or while driving) up to ~70 (hot). When massively overheating (oil reporting 132º!) it hit around 90. Now it's slightly higher but behaving similarly - 75-80º when driving above 40mph and rising to around 100º when stationary in traffic. Probably doesn't help that there are a couple of leaks in the system somewhere (hoping to sort them with my new hose kit at the weekend) but I thought it would have been OK since it seemed to be responding to driving conditions a bit more. I did replace it with a second-hand one so maybe that was duff too? Looking at Vagcat it now seems to be 701 919 369D which is black/brown - an update? :shrug:

Also I'm a bit suspicious of the third sender - Vagcat describes it as "thermal switch / for switching off air conditioner / and/or / electric fan" or "thermal switch / for vehicles with / electric fan / 3 stages / ANHAENGERBETRIEB,TROPENAUSF.O. / 4 speed automatic gearbox" - so would it shut off the rad fans if faulty? Weirder and weirder...

Stone

Also meant to say the third switch I think turns the fans on if the air is too hot under the bonnet.

120 quid? You have to be kidding me? Lol my aux pump starting p*ssing coolant out today so looking for a new one. I do remember getting a genuine one from GSF in the past but that was a few years at least! Don't really want pay 120 for one though?! :(

Well it's 105 I think but with vat it came to 125 almost. I forgot my corrado membership card too so couldn't even get a discount :( I'm sure the GSF one that I got could've been modded a little but Jst wanted it fixed tbh.

Looking at Vagcat it now seems to be 701 919 369D which is black/brown - an update?

Besides the Yellow sensor Temp.Gauge /stage 1 fan run on/Aux pump, originally Yellow - 701 919 369C but replaced now by Black/Blue Ring -701 919 369D – 4 pin.

Blue is the ECU temp sender is ECU temp. input 025 906 041A – 2 pin,

Also I'm a bit suspicious of the third sender - Vagcat describes it as "thermal switch / for switching off air conditioner / and/or / electric fan" or "thermal switch / for vehicles with / electric fan / 3 stages / ANHAENGERBETRIEB,TROPENAUSF.O. / 4 speed automatic gearbox" - so would it shut off the rad fans if faulty? Weirder and weirder...

Nope wouldn't shut the fans off.

If not got Factory Aircon, its the third stage fan sensor only (don't half know that on when it goes off, might as well start hoovering the place as it really shifts air. Only way I know to trigger on the road is to tank it for a long while on a very hot day and immediately stop with a very hot engine. Or use the car on a track circuit.) That's the Black/Green Ring sensor and the 50 amp plate fuse in the Fan Controller is associated with it. Black/Green is fitted (2 pin) if no factory AirCon. or towing a trailer or if an autobox set-up.

4 pin Brown if factory AirCon was fitted. It adds a cut out switch for the AirCon. It will only be found on LH Drive Corrados. Its linked to the Engine ECU as a signal input from the Engine ECU on 1994 Corado's but not 1991 to 1993. Too hot and the Aircon is disabled.

GSF said they could order 1 in from Bosch but didn't find out the price in the end as the fone wasn't workin :/

Could possibly be cheaper, I don't wanna find out now tho :(

I'd purchase one directly from a Bosch dealer if at all possible,you 'should' get the best price. However if it's the same as the S2/S4/ 10VT Five pot turbo unit, which I suspect it is then you could try Pete at quattro corner on 0121 476 0034, if you have a part No to quote him he'll be able to say straight away if he can help.