Jim

Losing the love..?

I started to get fed up of the Corrado a bit when it was my daily since every so often, something else would go wrong - perhaps your latest problems are giving you a negative view at the moment?

Other than the sound of imminent bottom end death on yours (or maybe not :-) ), I'm in a similar position to you Jim, where I have the Corrado as a second car, parked in a garage several miles away, and a more reliable, more economical, cheaper to run and quite fun (albeit older) daily, however at the moment I'm feeling good about having two great cars. I can choose to put the Golf away for a week and use the Corrado instead for a bit. I still love driving the Corrado, looking at it and the curious glances you get, even though I get many of the same kicks from the MK2.

Incidentally, when I bought my Corrado, I was using a MK2 16v as a daily and the plan was to continue to do so with the C as a second car, but before long, the MK2 was in storage, and the Corrado was a daily, as it was so much more comfortable and better to drive. I got rid of the Golf eventually, and ran the Corrado on its own as a daily for a year, before deciding it was time for something more economical, reliable etc., and got an Audi A4 TDI, and garaged the Corrado. But after a couple of months I found myself in the C more and more as the Audi was so uninspiring, so ended up swapping it for... another MK2 which is what I started with in the first place.

G28 went down this week, more money!!!

The satisfaction for me is when you've finished fitting that broken/warn bit. It's like a project that's never finished.

What does bother me though is bodywork, but i've finally accepted that I will never get it to the standard I want (i.e. as new) as it's nearly 20 years old :lol:

I know exactly this feeling. The last time I really had 'fun' in a corrado was 2007.

I'm nearly up to 5 years of hard graft, sorting things as and when I can afford to make improvements.

The scary thing is i'm very very close to havign the car exactly how I want it, to the point where I'm happy to put up a build thread and show it of [oh and it's not the same one I had in 07.. ] but once i've done so I'm now already thinking of selling.

The scary thing is, even in my head, thinking I'll sell the car and go back to something nice but suitable for leaving outside the house, I come back to a VR6. sh!t.. I'm trapped.

I'm a CNUT and need help :(

I'm twelve years and still hopelessly in love ! I still give it adoring looks,park it where I can keep an eye on it at work.look forward to driving it ,especially cold frosty

Mornings,

Really don't know why the girlfriend gets jealous !

G28 went down this week, more money!!!

The satisfaction for me is when you've finished fitting that broken/warn bit. It's like a project that's never finished.

What does bother me though is bodywork, but i've finally accepted that I will never get it to the standard I want (i.e. as new) as it's nearly 20 years old :lol:

yeah, i've kind of accepted the same,t hat i won't have it as mint as say A1 VR6's, but then part of me also thinks i'd like to be out there driving it every day and would struggle to keep it that chip/dint free. Saves the heartbreak of getting the 1st stone chip all over again. As long as its not rusting, i'm happy.

yeah, i've kind of accepted the same,t hat i won't have it as mint as say A1 VR6's, but then part of me also thinks i'd like to be out there driving it every day and would struggle to keep it that chip/dint free. Saves the heartbreak of getting the 1st stone chip all over again. As long as its not rusting, i'm happy.

Nice one, A1 VR6's rado has been used at least once or twice a week including all over the winter, I just make sure I wash and wax it every weekend. only a small mark on the rear arch from some t**t but that will be repaired, no stone chips gained though.

Jim, get the car out and give it a good blast then a really good wash and polish, make sure you get to Elsecar and the love will be back!!!!

Jim,

Every time mine as much as squeaks, she's being sold as I am out of love.

A trip over to Stealth, moan at the Guys, rant on about the car, little tweak here or there and the love is back. OK, she's not cheap - but what car is?

You have been around the scene long enough to watch over and over - how many times folk sell their C's and then are re-buying another after a few short months. Your's may be bugging you due to its storage location and sounding odd as you are not driving it daily.

Possibly consider why you are not using it as your daily - it takes a lot of mileage and repair costs to make it as expensive as driving and owning two cars. Why are you exactly keeping it as a second car ?

Its just the winter, grey skies and not meeting up with other Corrado friends.

We all suffer in winter and the Corrado is just something to blame this week . More Sunshine needed - or Vitamin D.

Come over to mine - we will go for a blast, that will bring the smile back to your face.

Besides - you think if you sell the Corrado anyone is going to let you join in our Convoys, Shows, Events or infact even talk to you at all ?

Of course you will still be allowed to my house to fix my PC but then dinner is provided !!!!!

I would even let you polish my Corrado !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would just say no rush/rash decisions.

---------- Post added at 9:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:39 PM ----------

Nice one, A1 VR6's rado has been used at least once or twice a week including all over the winter, I just make sure I wash and wax it every weekend. only a small mark on the rear arch from some t**t but that will be repaired, no stone chips gained though.

Jim, get the car out and give it a good blast then a really good wash and polish, make sure you get to Elsecar and the love will be back!!!!

ChrisL - you beat me to it - re the blast !!

Jim - you going to Elsecar ?

Cheers guys... and thanks Wendy ;)

Yep - coming up to Elsecar :)

Come over to mine - we will go for a blast, that will bring the smile back to your face.

You mean scare me to death more like! ;)

What is the reason for loosing the interest in your Corrado?

Is it being an old car? Maybe not with all the modern gimicks?

Is it because it notoriously breaks down and consumes spareparts faster than VW can make them? (not that they care a rats arse to make any)

Is it because the roofline is way too high even after lowering is so much that the attention you get from pedestrians, is every single time you pass a speedbump, and the frontspoiler says "CCCRRRReeeezzccckkkk"?

Is it because a 944 is better looking from the outside?

Or because a Esprit is 12 centimeters lower?

Is is because a new Mini can overtake it?

Or because something embarrasing is happening every time you try to show off in the Corrado - like something falling off, or steam rises?

Don't know.

What I do know is that everyone else making a car will have to do a divine job to make a better car and one that is more fun to drive.

And because every time I leave the Corrado after a blast, I turn around a take a look at it, before I enter the house ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

ps: 17,460 posts from you is not exactly loosing the love to your Corrado.

Edited by Redfox

ps: 17,460 posts from you is not exactly loosing the love to your Corrado.

I think Jim likes the community more than the car ;)

can understand your reasoning jim seeing you have a little daily car that is cheap to run, but been there done that with some nicer all round cars than the corrado, but yeh i'm back with another one they just get under your skin, the 540i i had was quicker/quiter and an all round soooo much better car than a corrado, but did i ever turn around and look at the BM when i was walking away from it?? no, did i really bother when it was dirty and need a wash?? not really, and when was the last time a bloke in a 5 series BM was told i love that car always wanted one?? never.

but hey its your car and your money, so just do what you want.

I reckon you should have got a new scirocco Jim, instead of the corrado and fiat, providing you could take the stick from Eric :)

I think part of the reason some people lose the love is that they get to a point with the car where the ongoing maintenance overtakes the improvements being made. e.g. when you first buy one then you have a long list of improvements. That might be an engine conversion, respray, adding leather, etc. And once that's done it then becomes a matter of living with an old car which breaks and needs fixing (if you can find the parts).

That's also why I think that the community is important; it makes the car a much bigger thing in your life and not just a mode of transport.

But the lack of any local parking would hack me right off I must admit.

Surely it is a little boredom too and an urge to own masses of other cars.

Cheaper all round to hire them for the odd weekend.

How we feeling today Jim ?

Little happier with all the love you have been given ?? !!!

Still think you should come out for a blast at the weekend !!!!

I could drive the Fiat and you your Corrado - probabaly about similar pace then ............................... !!!

Slight difficulty of me driving the Fiat and the Corrado to your place - can only drive one car at a time! ;)

Would be good to take the Corrado out and stretch is legs.. perhaps on Sunday morning or something Wendy? Would make a good little Sprinter article.

The Fiat isn't a long car but it's as wide as and MUCH taller than the Corrado! I could drive around wearing a fricking stovepipe hat cause there's so much headroom!

The Fiat isn't a long car but it's as wide as and MUCH taller than the Corrado! I could drive around wearing a fricking stovepipe hat cause there's so much headroom!

Prove it !

We want a picture of you wearing a stovepipe hat driving the Fiat ! lol

Get rid of it then :D

Heh.

Its just winter Jim, even my cherished 16vG60 is still sat in the garage covered in a layer of dust and gunge from the last time I used it, but I am looking forward to driving it again.

I do really need to sell the nugget, VR6 and the GT6 this year though as I have just too many cars!

Prove it !

We want a picture of you wearing a stovepipe hat driving the Fiat ! lol

Challenge accepted... ;)

I know all about loosing the luv for the 'C' Feeling. Have owned rado's since 1992. last one i bought new in 1996. it's only done 40K been garaged since new and sat in my garage for the last 8 year's doing nothing.. no tax no mot and insured on a laidup policy :(... too many other interests....

before anyone says something No it's not for sale.... it's staying until she dies.....

it's only done 40K been garaged since new and sat in my garage for the last 8 year's doing nothing.. no tax no mot and insured on a laidup policy :(... too many other interests....

before anyone says something No it's not for sale.... it's staying until she dies.....

i think your car has died of boredom being sat in the garage not doing anything, poor car must feel like a caged animal in a zoo.

brave attempt, but its really not up to you.

corrados choose us, not the other way round :)