VR6Pete

Gruven Parts alloy radiator neck fitment

Having some issues after fitting my alloy radiator neck! Cannot get it to seal properly despite using bigger washers and also trying another seal from VW... It doesn't seal properly on the side nearest the radiator fins! Coolant just keeps bubbling out when getting upto temperature.

Has anyone had any similar issues with these or could offer any install tips? I dare not tighten it anymore in fear of ruining my new radiator :)

I'm gonna try refitting the original neck again today to see if the fit is any better!

The alternative would be probably try a thicker O-ring perhaps?

Cheers

Pete

Agree with Mark, put it back in Gruvens court.

When you say bigger washers where are you fitting these? The standard rad neck doesn't use washers, it's just the o-ring that provides the seal.

I don't want to put a further downer on this but when I saw a Gruven rad neck at the Stealth rolling road day last year it looked very badly finished, just hope the workmanship doesn't extend to the seal/mating faces.

I've got a slightly bigger seal somewhere if you get stuck.

Cheers for the replies.

The VW seal sits slightly looser on the neck than the seal gruven provided... I might have another slightly thicker one and see if that sorts it if not i may drop you a PM Dave. I do have an after market hella radiator so don't know if that has anything to do with it...

mine fitted perfectly, with the o-ring it came with, it has never leaked and i've been really pleased with it.

Was a genuine VW rad and it was a few years back now.

DSC00663.jpg

I've had a closer look at the o-ring today (in the light)

bcdd104e-eb70-3e74.jpg

bcdd104e-eb80-dc2c.jpg

Slightly misshapen not sure how that has happened...

Size is a 218 O-Ring which my mate had spares, took a little pushing down into the radiator top unlike the other one which just went in a little too easily if you ask me... Not had chance run the car yet so fingers crossed it sorts it...

Just aux water pump to sort next as its leaking coolant everywhere :) don't want to pay £120 though!!

Half price for a Meyle one from VWspares: 62.94 inc VAT. OEM fit but they've put the price up since I got one ;)

Daves16v: didn't you make your own metal rad neck? Would definitely be interested if you wanted to do another!

Stone

Probably just my seal to be fair! Will find out when I'm next able start the car up :)