knight5651

My burgundy 16v (RESPRAY SOON)

Hi everyone, I've recently started using the forum again as I've picked up my second corrado. Unfortunatly my first one was written off in a accident I had and I've wanted another one ever since.

So about the car, its a 1991 1.8 16v, shes just clocked 126k but still pulls like a train :) There is a private plate on the car at the moment I may keep it I'll see, maybe someone might recognize it?

I'm happy with the car as its all solid in the right places, theres just a few areas on the body work that could do with some attention, I'll be dealing with those soon enough when the weather picks up!!

Since owning her the only thing I've done except a good clean is lower the front slightly more as it didn't quite look right. The mods so far that came with the car are coilovers, they look like JOM ones but I'm not 100% on that, and a set of alloys painted white, the wheels fit in the aches quite nicely so they will be staying for now. And the rear badges have been painted fluorescent yellow which isn't quite to my taste lol.

Anyway so heres a couple of pics so far, hope you all like.

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Edited by knight5651

Fantastic.. Another DBP looks good with the early grill and small bonnet.

i like that.. its desperate for new plates though, will improve the overall look no end. cheap from ebay too £10 pair!

Id love to see it with a black front grill badge, smoked side repeaters, body coloured rear badges and wheels too, but then it would be my car not yours.. sorry. i'll go back to just liking it!

Cheers for the comments so far :) I'll be sorting the badges soon enough, the chap I had the car off said the wheels also used to be that colour!!! And I like the early bonnet and grill too it's growing on me, it could do with another grill though..... One that I don't have to cable tie in place lol

i like that.. its desperate for new plates though, will improve the overall look no end. cheap from ebay too £10 pair!

Id love to see it with a black front grill badge, smoked side repeaters, body coloured rear badges and wheels too, but then it would be my car not yours.. sorry. i'll go back to just liking it!

I defiantly agree with you on the plates, it's been added to my to do list. I can't decide what to do with the badges :( I'm going to colour code the 'corrado' badge but not sure if to fit a original silver Vw one to the back, but I'm liking the sound of the black grill badge. You've got a few good ideas so we'll see.

Nice looking car. I've been looking for a picture of a Corrado with the early style slim bonnet to see what it looks like. I have to say that it looks good and alot sleeker than the later style bonnets/front end. Reminds me of the mk2 Scirocco...

If it was me, I would leave the badges chrome, as it offsets the rest of the body colour nicely. But I agree with BristolBaron about smoking the side repeaters.

Nice looking car. I've been looking for a picture of a Corrado with the early style slim bonnet to see what it looks like. I have to say that it looks good and alot sleeker than the later style bonnets/front end. Reminds me of the mk2 Scirocco...

If it was me, I would leave the badges chrome, as it offsets the rest of the body colour nicely. But I agree with BristolBaron about smoking the side repeaters.

Yeah my other corrado had the later front end but I think I prefer the early one, don't know why lol its just grown on me :)

Edited by knight5651

Right then... I think it's time to finally update this as I have a plan for the corrado. She's been off the road for nearly 6 months now just sitting there gathering dust, it turned into an ongoing project and I just lost interest. After trying to break the car for parts, sell it and scrap it I've had a change of heart and decided to keep it :)

This time I've decided to do it right a hopefully only once!! She's going in for a full respray, engine bay, door shuts, the lot. I've spoken the the body shop and agreed that I'll get the car stripped down to a rolling shell to try and save on the £££. The engines already out so now I've made a start on the exterior, trying to do bits as and when I can, weather permitting!! I'll post up a few pics of my progress soon.

glad to hear you changed your mind but whats up with the paint?!!!!! looks great as it is!!

Cheers :) The pics do make the body work look better than it is unfortunately.... Underneath and around the arches are spot on but it's got a few dents here and there as the years have gone on but the main one is right at the front on the drivers side wing, it could defiantly do with some attention.

The main reason for the respray though is it looks like someone in the past has been over it with a machine polisher and not very well!!! The swirl marks are unreal, despite my best efforts they just won't cut/polish out :( that coupled with the start of some lacquer peel has left her looking worse for wear.

Good decision on not breaking it bud! Looks nice, i will keep an eye on the thread.... sounds promising.

If you ever need a hand with anything, give me a shout im only down the road

Cheers for the positive feedback guys. the shells pretty much stripped down now, just the windows to deal with... I'll try and get some pics up before the weekend too :)

Good decision on not breaking it bud! Looks nice, i will keep an eye on the thread.... sounds promising.

If you ever need a hand with anything, give me a shout im only down the road

Nice one g60 jack that would be great! same back to you.

I made some more progress getting the C stripped down today, manged to get the front bumper assembly off. Not as easy as I'd hoped, nearly every bolt/screw I had to touch was corroded.... plus the weather wasn't exactly in my favor!!!

This is how shes been looking for quite a while now, looking abit worse for wear :(

501.jpg

Here's a before and after pic of my mornings work lol:

500.jpg

503.jpg

I took the splitter off the bumper and gave it a clean up too, nice to see theres no cracks at all. Just the odd scuff.

504.jpg

Next on my to do list is remove the front panel and finish removing everything from the bay. Hopefully it will stop raining soon :D While I'm at it I might separate the metal bumper supports from the bumper skins so I can give them a wire brush and paint with some hammerite to freshen them up. Theres no real need to but seen as the rest of the cars going in for paint I may as well + I don't want to skip corners.

I made some more progress getting the C stripped down today, manged to get the front bumper assembly off. Not as easy as I'd hoped, nearly every bolt/screw I had to touch was corroded.... plus the weather wasn't exactly in my favor!!!

This is how shes been looking for quite a while now, looking abit worse for wear :(

501.jpg

Here's a before and after pic of my mornings work lol:

500.jpg

503.jpg

I took the splitter off the bumper and gave it a clean up too, nice to see theres no cracks at all. Just the odd scuff.

504.jpg

Next on my to do list is remove the front panel and finish removing everything from the bay. Hopefully it will stop raining soon :D While I'm at it I might separate the metal bumper supports from the bumper skins so I can give them a wire brush and paint with some hammerite to freshen them up. Theres no real need to but seen as the rest of the cars going in for paint I may as well + I don't want to skip corners.

Nice one mate. Good to see that an early one is being saved and has interest in it!:thumbleft: not gonna be many early ones left soon.

I have to 2 early models and love them with the smaller bonnets and narrow wings and like the grills and switch gear inside too, hopefully it will pay off for you too especially if you decide to keep her a little while as soon i dont think you will find many decent early models, i know that prices have been hit hard recently but hopefully in a few more years the amount that have been brokon will have dropped and the good ones that are left will increase in price so dont think your wasting your time. Finger crossed.

Great colour to was available in g60 spec too i believe will look great with fresh paint! dark plum pearl love it! gotta to be one of the best colours!

yep smoke side repeaters would look good! moderately lowered on some stock style g60 bbs or rx2's would look awsome agree rear badges need to be back to original and oem chrome vw badges too will give some contrast against drker body work.

good luck! keep up the good work.