DriverVR6

Finally taken some pictures of my VR6

Sorry DriverVR6, hope you don't mind the link. http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?57481-The-Rising

That's a smart soloution to a most irritating problem DriverVR6. I have two dead plate panels. Think I'll "steal" your idea and make a similar one. May I ask what glue you are using? I find the loctite 10 second glue not withstanding vibrations/potholes etc, so maybe something else? Anyway, a good idea, and the way VW should have made it in the first place.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Hello Redfox, I used Araldite Rapid as I had it to hand, but I think you could use any strong glue. I think superglue 3 or similar would work well as it bonds very quickly and you don't have to hold the bolts steady for ages like I did using Araldite.

I bought all the stuff on Monday to do the lubrication and coolant service, but yesterday it was pouring with rain and today it's snowing!!

Managed to get the service done today. No issues and everything went as planned.

I used Champion EON2 spark plugs the last time. They have worked a treat, no misfires or fouling at all, and 100% reliable. So I went for the same spark plugs again this time. Only downside to them is that they are not available individually and only come in a pack of 4 plugs. So last time I had to buy 2 packs, so I ended up with 8 plugs in total. So this time I had to buy 1 pack of 4, and used the 2 plugs I had left over from the previous purchase, lol.

i also use these plugs with no issues at all, plus at £4.55 for four at halfords with the trade card they are very cheap.

I've always gone for single electrode sparkplugs whenever possible, for all the cars I have owned. I find that multi-electrode sparkplugs are fine if you just want to stick them in and forget about them. However, for power/performance, you can't beat a good set of properly gapped single electrode plugs.

You are on to something there DriverVR6, because I have read tests of spark plugr for my Laverda (motorcycle) that shows that a single electrode plug make better power. But to ensure this, you have to mark the gap of it on top of the whole spark plug. This ensures that you, when your drive it down and fasten it, can know how it is turned, where the gab is pointing. This should be pointing towards the inletvalve. This may also mean that you have to but a lot of plugs to ensure this. I do it and it seems to work - more Hp - more fun.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Karl, I set mine at 0.8mm. Standard spec is 0.7mm.

You should only increase the plug gap if your ignition system is in A1 condition, or you'll just get misfiring. I increased plug gap on a Golf GTI once and it was terrible! Turned out to be a "weak" coil.

---------- Post added at 1:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:11 PM ----------

Right, I've taken the 90mm front splitter off as there are just too many speed bumps by me now. I didn't want to ruin the 90mm splitter, so I've put the 50mm one on. The 90mm definately looks better, but the 50mm one just makes it more convenient to drive without worrying all the time about scrapping the front splitter!

I will put some photos up later.

Edited by DriverVR6

Didn't have much time to spend on the VR6 today, so I just upgraded the 4x6's in the rear shelf support brackets and also added an inline fuse to the boot compartment light (just to avoid any electrical fires!) I also insulated the bulb so that it cannot short itself on the contacts.

With the speakers I used a connector so that I can switch easily between the 6x4's in the shelf supports and the bigger 6x9's in the parcel shelf. I also didn't cut the original speaker loom and used a plug I had up. Got pretty messy in the boot with the amount of tools I ended up using!!!

Loads to do tomorrow on my other Corrado (2.0 16v) to get it through the MOT, so I hope it doesn't rain.....

Fingers crossed for the MOT - let me know how it goes :)

Those Lanzar Neo's are from the valver (I remember buying them) - think they're worth a few quid but I got them fairly cheap from an old forum member!

I will Jim.

Do you recognise the speakers???...Sorry, didn't read all of your post. Yes they are the ones out of your old valver. I don't really use the parcel shelf bracket speakers and that why I have made them easily switchable. At least they are bringing music to my ears now....

Also took out the infinities from the dash pods (very posh) and the ones from the door pockets. The valver will be a light weight "track racer" when I've finished with it, so it won't be needing the speakers....

Edited by DriverVR6

I've got hold of these Koni Sports off a friend of mine. They are not the standard ones you get in a Koni Kit as they do not have shortened rods and have genuine VW Motorsport Springs and Jamex Bumpstops. I have put them on the car, the ride height seems to be good, not too low. The car corners very flat with them on. They do seem to have good potential, but I will need to get the camber and tracking set up before I can judge if they are any good. Hopefully will do that tomorrow.

Edited by DriverVR6

Ah bless her.. great to see it's going to stay on the road for now :)

The only real "mods" it had were a drilled airbox, a K&N panel filter, and the KR cams. I never really spent any money on mods (well I swapped from a JE to a K&N panel filter), but lots on general maintenance.. so in the engine bay, the last few years it had new injectors, oil cooler, PAS pump, replaced all the inlet and cam cover gaskets, ISV, ignition leads & ignition reference sensor (£60 by itself!), genuine VAG radiator, a number of sensors and hoses replaced.. so plenty of TLC :)

Well Jim, the money you forked out on general maintenance was money well spent as the engine really does run well now. Just a slight noise from the alternator region that I need to take care of, which I hope is just the belt.

It uses so much less fuel on short runs in comparison to the VR so it will pay for itself very quickly.