Johnny H

Window Tinting On A Corrado?

Hi Guys

I was out today with my son in the back and the sun was in his eyes alot and i thought i should get the windows tinted. (only a light tint)

Has anyone else got it done?? and could i see a pic of one with it done please?

Thanks Guys

Johnny

Hi Guys

Has anyone else got it done?? and could i see a pic of one with it done please?

Thanks Guys

Johnny

Here's an older pic of mine, I have removed the rear tints now though.

IMG_0483.jpg

DSCF1137.jpg

DSCF1138.jpg

DSCF1133.jpg

Its quite dark, but I dont think it looks too bad tbh. It was on when I bought the car, and tbf I wanted it off in the winter. Its a PITA when reversing when its dark!

So urgent you asked twice? Can't you buy him a baseball cap? :shrug:

Didnt know which one to put it in, Interior cause you put it inside or Exterior cause you see it from outside.

Have you tried keeping a hat on a 2 year old :) and it doesnt keep the sun out. Have tried sunglasses but that even harder to keep on him

---------- Post added at 9:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:48 PM ----------

You'd have to go quiet dark, light tinting wouldnt block much. Dark tints look chavvy imo.

What about getting some of those blinds?

Yeah you right, think i'm going to go for blinds cause not keen on the dark tint look.

can you legaly go light tint all round? it doesnt look right if you just tint the rear quarters.

I think you can go 30% up fornt

Just to resurrect this post.

I would like to put a light tint on all the glass. But I want to be very careful because I really don't want it to be Chav at all. My Mk4 Golf TDI had factory glass and it had a lovely look to it. I'd like the same on the Corrado.

Not just for looks mind. It's also to try and reduce some of the Greenhouse effect I get in the Summer. The interior of my car today was HOT after only sitting in the sun for 5 minutes.

Here's what the law says. Copied from Redwood Tinting in Bristol's website....

The UK law states that the two front side windows, i.e. the windows either side of the driver’s head, must have a VLT (visable light transmition) of >70%. That means that at least 70% of light must pass through. Most modern car windows are made of glass with a 80-70% VLT, so even a very light filmapplied to the front windows will take the VLT the wrong side of 70% and therefore will not be legal.All windows behind the driver have no such law applying to them so you can have any tint you want.

So it says "most modern cars have a VLT of 80% to 70%."Do you think the Corrado falls in this bracket? I mean the windows are pretty much completely transparent IMO.

Opinions and photos would also be great. I was thinking of just a 50% or 35% tint on all windows bar the windscreen.

I don't think the Corrado has any tint at all in the glass.

Not sure if it suits the Corrado but thats just my opinion. :)

I don't think the Corrado has any tint at all in the glass.

Not sure if it suits the Corrado but thats just my opinion. :)

It has a slight green tint !

I think there is a wee bit of green in there. It's not completely clear.

I'm going to meet with a company and discuss. I don't want anything chav as it will completely ruin the look of the car.

I'm really trying to capture the style of more modern Veedubs with their factory tint.

Ive had the windows tinted on mine and was wanting to get the front done, but when the company tried they said there was an issue as the front window glass is pushed up against something (cant remember exactly what he said now) which im assuming is to keep the window tight to the seals. This meant that every time the window went down or up it caught the tint and ripped it off so it was only possible to do the rears. :shrug: Ive got it quite dark and imo I think it suits the car quite well.

IMAG0191_zpsx1ytth5s.jpg

utf-8BWk9FXzAwMDIuanBn_zps236802a4.jpg

Cheers Alex. Good tip there. The tints look ok on your car, nice colour BTW Ice Grey Violet?

I'm looking at a 70% tint for mine but still debating over it. Thanks to your info I know I really cannot touch the front windows. I think even 70% film would take them under the legal limit for VLT anyway.

The rears are a bit of a nightmare too apparently. As there is no black border around the glass like on modern cars. Just plain glass and then the seal. So there's no forgiveness if the film is not cut exactly right. Plus you can't remove and refit the rear quarterlights. Ideally you'd want to take the glass out to tint it perfectly.

Edited by MikeVR6

Legally IIRC it's 80%,not tint! but light let through,even new clear glass isn't 100%

The green tint on the front windows is probably not far of the legal limit of 80%

Thanks Mike yeah it is Ice Violet :thumbleft: happy to help out! They was saying it was one of the harder cars they've had to tint because of the reason you've said about the rear windows but they managed to do an excellent job with cutting and fitting the tints I suppose you just have to find a good place to get the job done properly!

Shiny! Have you any other shots? My motor looks the same. Different BBS wheels though.