maximusiv

Corrado virgin, is the storm edition worth the extra premium?

Hay ho guys, i'm looking for my first raddo and cant decide between a standard VR6 or a storm, the question asked is the storm worth the extra money?

Can of worms

No.

/Can of worms

Welcome to the forum :wave:

There are a wide range of VRs out there as you will soon find out. Some good and an awful lot bad. Id suggest you do a lot of research and searching the forum etc for some good info. The topic has been covered many times before. In short just get the very best condition VR you can get - it may not necessarily be a Storm and of course there are quite a number of better spec stock VRs out there too. Get your budget set, gauged by searching some of the for sale ads online etc.

Yep..lol a real can of worms!

Hi there. Really depends on what's important to you. Performance wise there's no difference (although some say the badges make you go faster. Storms had leather, heated seats and air con all of which were options anyway so the only totally unique things were the badges (gear stick surround and rear of the car) and the mystic blue colour on half of all the Storms made (500 in total) . Just maybe a Storm might have been better looked after but there is absolutely no guarentee of that.

welcome, imo its just a few badges and either blue or green in colour, so if you wanted a black corrado {like myself}it wouldnt be a storm, weather its worth it is entirely up to you, they are limited edition and there are people out there which will pay more for that but i personaly wouldnt,

I have a storm as I always wanted one but the best way to buy is on body work and engine, regardless if its a storm or not. You can find better specked vr6's with air con, leather and washer lamps. If your someone that has a fixation on having a storm then they do demand a higher price.

Your biggest bills are likely to come from body work and hidden rot so just look out for as best condition vr you can find as plenty of spare parts available, good second hand market for parts especially on this forum.

That's my advice anyway. I'm sure you know the difference and during your corrado search you will probably be able to answer your own question.

Good luck. Ps there a vr6 that's just been posted for sale in Bournemouth near me and as I'm based there would be happy if you wanted me to have a look....

Rams

As above buy on condition. When looking for mine I was really after a storm. But now I have a standard VR6 I'm really not bothered that it doesn't have the badge. Something else to consider is that you may feel a little pressure to keep a storm standard to maintain it's value. But with a standard VR6 I am far more happy to try different interiors and wheels etc.

A storm will always be worth slightly more but given a choice between an ok storm and a very good standard car I would get the standard car due to the condition.

as above, look for the best vr you can find. im going to look for a storm next though as i plan on owning the next one a long time and like the idea of it being the highest model.

...... they are limited edition ....

I appreciate what you mean but it's not like they were numbered and people can say oooh I got Mystic Blue number 007 or such like. It just means people got 'one out of 500, out of 5,000'. Rather than just 'one out of 5,000'. Or whatever UK numbers they produced in general.

End of the day, they stopped making the Corrado, full stop, and chucked a few relatively poor (in my opinion), bits and bobs and called the final 500 the 'Storm'. Why not chuck all the other standard options on there along with OBDII + a VW VSR manifold + Recaros etc? It's all stuff they had lying around.

I have not long bought my first Corrado and faced the same problem myself.

I would go for a VR6 with a leather interior. Other than that Condition is the most important thing.

If it helps i went down the non storm route and have not regretted it.

Personally keep the extra money you would have spent until you have one for the unexpected once you have bought and a few nice bits eg headlight upgrades, new alarm etc.

I set out to buy a Classic Green Storm, but then my Blackberry came up and had no regrets pver not getting one.

I think if you want an original un-modified factory car then the solitudes look better then the Speedlines. Also, if you like the mystic blue then a storm is the only option.

Also, if you like the mystic blue then a storm is the only option.

Or buy a Mk3 Golf ;)

Many thanks for all the replys gents, i thought i was opening a can of worms but hay you dont get if you dont ask.

So coming from this, forget the badge its all about the car!

Time to do more research into the extras like head lamp washers that i didnt know existed!!

Would you learned peoples out there mind giving me a heads up as to the "ideal" combo, as in heated leather, air con, head lam washers, are there more options?

Thinking on, i presumed the storm would have all these as standard?

The storm doesn't necessarily come with air con, it's an optional extra. As we're the recaros and head lamp washer jets as part of a winter pack effectively, oh and the irresistible recaro electric heated leather seats!

Personally, nice leather and air con or a working sunroof model will be a bonus. Others have retro fitted AC so again, that could be something you wish to add or even climate control.

Personally I see headlamp washers as a negative point as it ruins the front of the car. But that's obviously personal preference. The perfect combo in my eyes would be...

Air con (very rare)

Recaros (either leather or cloth)

No rust

Everything works (even rarer)

The storm had standard leather (not recaro) and no air con.

Wheels are a matter of personal preference and I've come to prefer speedlines over solitudes recently (although period aftermarket BBS RS, RX, RC or LM look great.

Other desirable aftermarket mods that I like are Audioscape door pods to allow larger speakers, VSR or Schrick manifold, uprated cams and.... A supercharger ;)

But concentrate on getting the right car first and foremost. You can add leather or recaros and you can change wheels and other parts. Get a mechanically strong car with good Bodywork and the rest will come with time, patience and a little money. It's a huge amount of fun to improve the car and add the bits you want. I'm completely addicted to it now in a way I never thought I would bw.

I like Mystic Blue and Solitudes look nicer than Speedlines to me, so I bought a Storm. I had a Mk3 GTi in Mystic Blue with Solitudes as well, but it was a completely different car, though amusingly my next door neighbour couldn't tell the difference between the two. So don't buy a Mk3 Golf whatever you do, they're quite nasty, even the Mystic ones.

I'd be just as happy with a standard VR6, but I do like the colour and people who know nothing about Corrados assume there's something special about Storms, which - as per all the above posts - there isn't really. But anyway...

True. But in the standard cars favour they do have the limited edition Karmann interior ;)

(to the OP... that's not a serious point)

i prefer a non-storm as i think the storm badge on the rear of car is one too many and it starts to look cluttered :lol:

Also speedlines are nicer wheels in my eyes

Yeah strange but storms seem to be more common than they should be, i'm sure they actually made 2'500 of each :lol:

I like my Uber Rare Black Magic LC9Z :)

Yeah strange but storms seem to be more common than they should be, i'm sure they actually made 2'500 of each :lol:

Yes, I know what you mean. I have about 175 on my very unofficial "Storm Register". That list is not growing very fast these days so I personally don't think that there are very many left. I suppose there may be more Storms left as a % of the 500 than there are other models remaining from the original 9,000 sold in the UK which may explain why we think they are more common than 500/9000 would suggest? :geek:

I'm not much help saying this but i do agree with all the posted comments . Have you thought about waiting ,biding your time and looking for something that does not come up for sale much ?. Having said that you could be waiting a long time !! lol . But was thinking along the lines of the g60 jet . These like the golf rallye only came in left hand drive and were not imported to england but they are around in this country . They had the leather purple seats as well . Or look out for a g60 in nugget . Just a thought .Rob