ade1882

Looking to buy a storm

Do you mean this one?

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?68061-Mystic-Blue-VR6-for-4500-in-Slough

There is a build thread here showing how much work has been done:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?50020-Mystic-Blue-Storm-MYLene-CAR-NOW-FOR-SALE-%A34300-%A33900/page7

I've not seen it but based on what's been done it looks a good car. It has had a respray and work on the engine block and head. It's a mystic blue Storm which is what you're looking for and the attention to detail looks high, which is always a good sign. It is mostly standard but has non-standard wheels (easily replaced with solitudes if necessary) and alcantara retrim of some of the interior plastic (which some may like, some may not like as it's non-standard, but personally I think is a real improvement and would love it in mine).

It's not a million miles away from me (about 50 mins drive each way) so I could take a look although I'm not sure when. However I'm not that mechanically minded so would only be able to give an opinion on whether it looks good and whether the usual problems of sunroof, switches, heater, etc, seem ok. And all that stuff seems to have been sorted according to the build thread :) I wouldn't want to be held accountable if there was something major that I missed :) But happy to go and see it and give an opinion.

The other problem with me seeing it is that I may be tempted to buy it as it does look good :D (joke!)

Edited by Portent

I am no mechanical expert but the build thread has loads of detail and looks like great job - think unused refurb. solitudes included for an extra £300. Abs can be a problem would want that fixing if just a sensor £20ish.

You could get an AA or RAC inspection best £150 you can ever spend for the none mechanically minded:) or in your case if too far away to go look.

The car looks great in the pics but almost too many of them plus you get a better look at the line etc when you see it for real.

Worst thing is I have just moved house and am broadbandless. I'm having to try and look at the pics on my iPhone using 3 g which sucks. the aa inspection is a good shout. I go offshore a week tues and it doesn't give me much time to get down for a look.

Anyone know how quick you can get an aa report?

Direct link for AA reports (searched for you as you're on you're phone):

http://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspections/index.html

Direct dial phone number:

0800 056 8040

Lines are open

Mon–Sun 8am–8pm

Bear in mind the car will be about 17 years old so the report will almost certainly highlight some issues. It isn't like buying a 5 year old car. Still a very good idea though.

EDIT: Do you have a laptop or a desktop with you? Couldn't you tether your PC to your phone and use that for browsing?

Edited by Portent

Cant get hold of monzablau(slough storm) to have a chat and ask if it's ok to get the aa round. I'll keep trying. The bad thing about working offshore is you run out of time.

How much work needs done to it? Im no mechanic. I would have to get any technical stuff done by a garage. What info do you have for me or pics? To be honest I probably am not capable of doing anything major.

Is everything there? Interior etc. what works and what doesn't. How much are you looking for?

In saying all that I do like the idea of spending some time and feeling my hard work has brought one back to life.

Oh trust me, it's a lot of work... laquer has lifted from the bonnet and leading edge of the roof. Rust spots are appearing in more places each time I look. The engine itself has 194K on the clock still on original chains, but they were not the problem when I parked it - the cams or lifters were making a lot of noise. I did actually buy a ported head with higher lift (268, I think) cams in it, but never got round to swapping them. No idea what condition that head is in now.

Interior - everything is there, but a lot of it was rattling when I stopped driving.

Now I have a new one, I will probably find bit and pieces to transfer before I'm ready to let the Storm go... but if anyone is interested in a probably working car in poor condition, I'll offer it up before thinking about scrapping. Couple of months yet, though.

But in all seriousness, if you're not able to do this stuff yourself and want a garage to do it, cheaper to buy a working one than repair this one.

Sounds like too much work for me

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

Well I spoke to monzablau and the car sounds good so I tried to get an aa inspection and they don't inspect cars over 15 years old. I went on to the rac website and a car with over 120000 miles on it and a big engine is over 300. Boy am I kicking myself for not looking at it when I was down south.

Well its gonna cost you less in fuel and/or car hire than the inspection itself. Get yourself down there for the day!

How important does everyone think the amount of previous owners a car has had is?

The one I looked at in Aberdeen would put me as the 8th owner. The car drove well was in good condition inside and had been sprayed but rust was appearing in spots. Usually I just jump in and buy a car but this time I'm being very causious because I'm keeping for as long as I can. Maybe too Causious. The one in Aberdeen is up for £3500.

How important does everyone think the amount of previous owners a car has had is?

The one I looked at in Aberdeen would put me as the 8th owner. The car drove well was in good condition inside and had been sprayed but rust was appearing in spots. Usually I just jump in and buy a car but this time I'm being very causious because I'm keeping for as long as I can. Maybe too Causious. The one in Aberdeen is up for £3500.

Owner on average every two years could indicate they got out before more troubles or could not.Respray with rust coming through points to poor prep and maybe hiding issues..Enough ones out there to look again

Sorry about the AA steer - pity about the age! You could find a local garage and get them to have a look at it rather than the aa or rac. I had a bloke who bought a subaru from me do that.

Personally given your circumstances re offshore I would bite the bullet and spend the £300. The car looks great in the thread loads and loads of detail. If I went to look at the car I wouldn't do 10% of what the rac guy would do. I wouldn't be surprised if something expensive crops up you can use the rac report to haggle a wee bit (already a very cheap car IMO).

Going back to the ABS issue - get that fixed!

Just had a look at the for sale thread before posting - it is a total bargain I am getting tempted to buy another one!! I think 2 on the driveway would look great my other half would shoot me mind you.- the parts alone on it are worth thousands!!

Get a report and if ok leave a deposit and go down next time you are onshore. Which rig are you working on? I might be taking you back to work I Scotia pilot.

I don't think its really realistic to expect to draw any firm conclusions from the number of owners. One argument for more owners though is that new owners tend to be keen to improve the car in their first flush of ownership? so maybe problems are more likely to be sorted whereas a long time owner may just get used to them and not bother. Bit like when you move house - if don't redecorate/strip out in the first 6 months then you tend to put up with it a long time!

Case by case basis would be my advice as every owner is different and just because someone has kept the car a long time does not mean its been well looked after

I'm on the north sea producer we fly with bond. I'm off on Monday. With the slough storm to be honest I could pay the 300 get the rac round they could give it a clean bill of health and I could go down and sit in it and not like the interior retrimmed in the expensive alacantra and bang 700 quid down the swanny with flights Do you see my dilemma? If I had gone to look while I was in the area I would be sorted. He said the garage he put it to be mot'd passed it with abs light on and no cat but that ain't happening in Aberdeen which was another wee point. Just another few quid to spend.

I am in no rush but am definately buying one. I may end up going down in my next 3 weeks off if it isn't sold. If that doesn't work out I'm sure another will come up. This thread has routed a few out that perhaps I wouldn't have the chance to consider. Hopefully it continues to work.

I am now set on a blue one.

Edited by ade1882

personally i'd be knocking the aberdeen one on the head and putting in an offer on the one in slough.

i honestly don't understand why i'd being sold on the 928's. personally as the seller i'd be dropping the price to £3500 with solitudes and no stereo and selling the extras separately.. perhaps thats worth putting to him?

Yep blue the way to go for sure;)

I see your point re £700 and if you are not in a rush maybe a topper will turn up - perhaps even a campaign!!!

personally i'd be knocking the aberdeen one on the head and putting in an offer on the one in slough.

i honestly don't understand why i'd being sold on the 928's. personally as the seller i'd be dropping the price to £3500 with solitudes and no stereo and selling the extras separately.. perhaps thats worth putting to him?

I might give that a try. I would want the solitudes anyway and the abs thing needs to be fixed I suppose. Am I missing a great opportunity by not going for this one or are there storms like this quite often for sale on here? I've only been keeping a close eye on the forum for a month or so. Before that it was autotrader and eBay.

I might give that a try. I would want the solitudes anyway and the abs thing needs to be fixed I suppose. Am I missing a great opportunity by not going for this one or are there storms like this quite often for sale on here? I've only been keeping a close eye on the forum for a month or so. Before that it was autotrader and eBay.

They don't come up often with this level of work already done albeit 15,000 miles ago. I would say in the 9 years I have been on the forum blue ones come up less often. I agree with your alcantara concern not my cup of tea but still think it is great value. I like the 928 wheels too.

Right colour, great engine work done, respray what more do you want:)

Well if portent has already shown an interest in the alcantara perhaps there's a swap to be done? Could get a few quid extra in the pot too..

One argument for more owners though is that new owners tend to be keen to improve the car in their first flush of ownership?

Case by case basis would be my advice as every owner is different and just because someone has kept the car a long time does not mean its been well looked after

very very true, i hate to think i have spent on my latest corrado even though it looked mint from the outside

Well it's time to go offshore hopefully a few corrados will come up during my 3 weeks away. I have plans to be in the London area next time I'm home so you never know there might be a few down there. Would be great if the slough one was still for sale. Not for monzablau it wouldn't but for me. It sounds like a great car so of anybody is reading this thread because they're thinking about buying a storm I strongly advise them to take a look at it if it's still for sale.

TBH I woudlnt just limit yourself to a Storm but get the best example you can when it comes up. There are a local few that would be worth a look like this low mileage red one - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3805671.htm

or this blackberry one with cloth recaro's which are rarer than any storm specs - http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vw-corrado-vr6/101278642

^^ That Blackberry one looks a good bet. Speaking as someone who has them I'd definitely take cloth recaros over standard leather in a Storm (although leather recaros vs cloth recaros is a harder question ). It has had the chains done too and looks close to you. I'm not a fan of headlight washers but they are indeed rare and Blackberry is a sought after colour.

The cloth doesn't make the interior seem quite as upmarket but it does feel sportier (leather for cruising, cloth for having fun) and the electric recaros really are lovely and definitely rarer. I'd say it's worth a look even if you still have your heart on a Storm.

I have noticed both of these. I still think its a storm for me. I know it's the same car just a stupid red badge but with my old vr6 I regretted not buying a storm. If its not a storm leather interior is a must. Again with my vr6 I wasted hours on eBay searching for leather interior to replace the cloth with. Its not going to be an every day car for me it's going to be in my garage for 6 months and the other 6 months it's dry weather only. (what a waste of a corrado I know). So I've got to get what I want.