craggy

What to buy vr6- g60

Hi folks,

Can you please give me some of you valuable information i am looking to buy a corrado i had one many years back just the 1.8, but im not sure wich is best g60 or vr6 any info would be a great help.. oh i have about 4-5k to spend

Thanks

Matt

A late VR6 with leather is the best one imo, you get all the improvements and the most powerful engine, also i find the later models look a bit more modern and refined than the earlys.

£4-5k will get you a very nice VR6 if you hang on for a decent one, even a storm might be worth sourcing, (same as VR6, but with extra painted bits and different wheels. I think the speedlines look better though.

So, how does this go................ ?

Everyone with a VR votes VR - that's me then !!!! VR6 it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

It's just better !!!!

but mine is!!!

To the OP.... have a drive of a few as its the only way to tell. Then buy a VR :smug:

Slightly more modern details such as heater controls, grill, etc, higher standard power, lovely sound, smoother delivery: VR6

Slightly better handling due to marginally better weight, unique charger sound: G60

Try both and see what you prefer. I went for a VR6 but nowadays I'd be equally happy with a G60.

see i want the vr6 for the sound put the g60 for the tunning..... if that makes sense

Then get a Lysholm charger on a G60 C !! ;)

I love my G60 C but love my Lysholm Charged Mk1 Golf ever so slightly more. It just comes down to personal preferences. Best advice would be to look through the buyers guides so you can suss out the pitfalls and then go and test drive as many as you can and don't rush into anything shiny without a good look !!

I've had both, a tuned g60 and lightly modified Vr. G60 with. Chip, pulley and exhaust etc will be about the same as a Vr for speed. The g60 has an aggressive power delivery, vr6 is smooth but once it gets up to 4k the engine wakes up and the sound is awesome!

A g60 is more tuneable but once you get it to 200bhp you'll find anything above that will costs big £££. Where as a vr6 can be bought with that power to start with if you get a well looked after example then you can always save up and supercharge or turbo that for an easy 300bhp.

Or to mix it. Up, turbo the g60. It's already low compression. It's been done before on here.

From my experience I'd go for a Vr as it has the future potential :)

As said drive both and see which one you like!

My mates g60 was very unreliable (2 new superchargers and a new gearbox) my vr6 never missed a beat. So if reliabilaty is an issue vr all the way IMO.

G60 Rado for fun, handling, sound. :)

928 for proper power delivery. Nothing beats whole-number multiples of 4 when talking cylinders :lol:

Tempest

yeah imdeffo thinking vr, thanks so much for helping me one more thing tho how much would a turbo kit cost???

depends on your budget and if you can do the work yourself or if you will be paying someone.

stealth do a drive in drive out turbo install for approx £4.5k iirc but you may need other work like bigger brakes, engine mounts etc.

you could source the parts yourself and fityourself but youll need a downpipe etc and correct fuelling mapping. either way youll prob be looking at at least £2k+

Have a look on the forced induction thread, theres plenty to read in there that will help give you an idea :)

Nothing beats whole-number multiples of 4 when talking cylinders :lol:

Sadly 4-pots are not balanced... you need a six for that..

A Crossplane V8 is

Well, a *straight* six is. The V isn't. The VR6 is "nearly" balanced.. Hell of a lot nearer than a four-pot anyway.

Don't really care whether an engine is balanced or not, fact is that a 928 V8 can be taken up to 800 bhp by turbocharging it, as has been demonstrated on a few cars by who else, of course, but the Americans. :)

Tempest

I would just buy the best car i could be it either G60 or VR and your budget should get you a pretty nice example

for instance this VR6 is an absolute standard beauty, i love the colour.... but its not for everyone

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3869327.htm

Or this standard G60 which again i love the colour.... but its not for everyone (its also pretty pricey lol)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CORRADO-G60-/270963498793?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f16aedf29

Edited by northG60