supa_ant

Cassette player question..

Just a quick one guys. My 94 vr has a Sony tape player and Sony 10 disc changer in the boot,

I was just wondering if these were factory fitted?

Mostly stereo's were retro fitted by the dealerships that sold the cars. i think they pretty much came into the uk without radio's fitted.

Just a quick one guys. My 94 vr has a Sony tape player and Sony 10 disc changer in the boot,

I was just wondering if these were factory fitted?

Depending on the Sony model number you have, they were from the Accessory Catalogue for VW's showrooms. I have a Sony Radio-Cassette Unit XR-C620RDS with 10CD disc changer CDX-91 and joystick control unit RM-X2S which the original owner opted for rather than the Storm's standard package CDX- 600DSP radio/CD player. You could add speakers as well. Since acquired a Sony CDX-600 to go back the Storm's brochure standard.

The standard fit to the VR6 when purchased new was a Sony XR-6659RDS. If you went the Sony route and not the other - Panasonic to 1993 iirc.

All my new Scirocco's didn't come with a radio fitted by Karmann. I used to take the car without radio and fit my own Pioneer at the time.

VW's ICE brochure was refered to as "Trade-Up".

Factory fitting of radios didn't start until after Corrado ceased production for UK deliveries as above. List is here on post numbr 27... http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?52860-Keep-it-original/page3&highlight=Radio+CDX600DSP

Edited by RW1

whats a cassette?

You'll see one in action in the Nugget one day soon :)

I've got two non-working 6659s .. :-(

I've been idly watching for a suitable CD-based system that's going to not look way out of place in the car for some time. Green LEDs are so far out of fashion these days ...

Mine has an early Alpine cassette player and CD changer but I still have the original Sony Cassette player - XR-C210MK2 and CD changer.

Going to sell if anyone is interested so I can get a single CD head unit from the correct age.

Mine has an early Alpine cassette player and CD changer but I still have the original Sony Cassette player - XR-C210MK2 and CD changer.

Going to sell if anyone is interested so I can get a single CD head unit from the correct age.

Hi Chris,

Bit of a long shot but do you still have the original sony cassette stereo for sale and if so does it all still work ok? And how much?

Cheers

Peter

Gamma IV Cassette Player has green illumination, turny dial knobs and CD changer control - if you want a really good CD player that looks well in an old school VAG, try a Nakamichi CD35/45 or CD300 or a Becker - but be prepared for a raid on your wallet or cc.