Bs6VR6

obd2 nightmare, help required...again?

Hey guys,

having a total nightmare with this obd2 conversion. sourced anougher wiring loom from ebay last week which when arrived still didn't include the bloody engine wiring loom, was only the fuse box loom if that makes sense. at a total loss now as i don't know whereto source one and i'm sure volkswagen will want about a trillion quid to purchase one new, thinking that might be my only option. if anyone knows of one or where to get one i would be eternally grateful as without i'm stuck. garage has had to refitt my old loom in order for me to make the national day on sunday. any help, or pointers would be massivly appreciated as i'm almost out of ideas now. just going to send a rather ****y message to the bloke off ebay now....gggrrrrrrrr.

max,

The loom you need is about £280+VAT from VW, well, it was a few years ago when I enquired.

Defo nothing on ebay?

The loom you need is about £280+VAT from VW, well, it was a few years ago when I enquired.

Defo nothing on ebay?

Hey mate, thanks for getting back to me, again, lol. I'm just a bit hesitant to go on ebay as i've just been burned for £75 quid and people do not seem able of distinguishing between looms. sod it i might just buy it from vw if its that price, was thinking it might be grands. i'll call them now to see. thanks again mate, your a star.

max,

No way £1000s mate. Not even VW are that expensive :D

Let us know how much it is these days.

There's a couple of sections. On their system there's an "Injector harness" which is more expensive, and the other one (forget it's name) with the ECU plug on it is the one you need. The injector harness I think is the same on OBD1 and OBD2. But if you need both halves, it will cost you more.

The two halves being either side of the twist lok connector above the aux pump.

Ok just spoke to heritage and without a part number they are unsure which loom i need, i was quoted £305 for one, whcih i think is it as teh other was £900. is there any way of locating the part number so i'm sure i'm asking for the right bit mate, i'm just going to buy the bloody thing if it is the £300 pound one, at least i know it'll be right then. won't be on for sunday though. any info would be apprecited mate, thanks again.

£900!!! ouch.

Sorry mate, only way to get the right one is to go into the dealer and look on the screen. I can't remember enough about the OBD2 loom to know if the throttle body connections go through the twist lock connector or not. If they do, you'll need both halves :-(

Think i might have found one mate, just to confirm, to your knowledge is this an engine loom, as it looks different to the last one i purchased and to my eyes looks like the engine specific loom? might email the link to the garage and then he can check himself. your help as always is appreciated, cheers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk3-GOLF-VR6-ENGINE-WIRING-LOOM-OBD2-/280879873024?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4165bebc00

That one is the "Injector harness" mate and I'm not seeing the all important throttle body connector (totally different to OBD1) so looks like it is the other half of the loom you need. Might be worth scoring that one too anyway as it looks in good nick and might go for a song.

aaarrrgh, lol. have sent the link to the garage to see if it is right as they know exactly what is needed. they spoke to vw and said the one i need is the 300 quid one, but there is a two week wait. might just have to swallow it and pay. thanks again for your help mate, i'll let you know the outcome after the garage has seen the link. regards,

max,

Cool! Thank god the one you need is cheaper. It's a much bigger loom as well, so I can't believe that one linked is £900 new. Madness!!

Tell me about it. still gutted to not have it for sunday but i'm getting used to problems with this car. thanks again boss. this forum is a god send.

max,

---------- Post added at 4:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:15 PM ----------

Right one last question matey and i shall leave you in peace, lol. garage reckons thats the one, their only concern was does obd2 revert to a single temp sensor or does it retain the two plugs, yellow and blue as in the photo on ebay, there pretty sure it is still the two but wanted confirmation. cheers.

max,

Max if your in Bristol have you tried volksmania? i had a golf vr gear box off them a while back, they might just have the obd2 bits you need.

Right one last question matey and i shall leave you in peace, lol. garage reckons thats the one, their only concern was does obd2 revert to a single temp sensor or does it retain the two plugs, yellow and blue as in the photo on ebay, there pretty sure it is still the two but wanted confirmation. cheers.

max,

Yeah that bit of the loom is the same for OBD1 and OBD2. So yeah, yellow and blue sensors still used on OBD2.

Max if your in Bristol have you tried volksmania? i had a golf vr gear box off them a while back, they might just have the obd2 bits you need.

Hey, mate i've used them for ages, came up trumps loads of times during my mk2 golf days. Top guy's, sadly they don't have the parts, the auto electrion the garage use popped over himself and no joy. but thanks for the info anyway. hoping i've got it sorted now.

And Fishwick, thanks again. on the plus side my ccgb membershib pack arrived today, loving the membership card, very slick.

Edited by Bs6VR6

Hang on a minute, you're having problems finding an engine bay harness loom? I found that the easiest to source! If you have 2 fusebox to engine bay looms can you PM me a price for one of them. Best bet is to go on ebay and search for cars breaking or engines being broken and get a picture of the throttle body to confirm. Should only be about £30 tops

In fact, email "mat 2.9 vr6 mk2" on edition38, I know he has one. Tell him Dave with the corrado sent you

Heres the link to his breaking add, his number is on there

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=427244&st=0&p=4181730&fromsearch=1entry4181730

Edited by swiftkid

Hang on a minute, you're having problems finding an engine bay harness loom? I found that the easiest to source! If you have 2 fusebox to engine bay looms can you PM me a price for one of them. Best bet is to go on ebay and search for cars breaking or engines being broken and get a picture of the throttle body to confirm. Should only be about £30 tops

In fact, email "mat 2.9 vr6 mk2" on edition38, I know he has one. Tell him Dave with the corrado sent you

Heres the link to his breaking add, his number is on there

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=427244&st=0&p=4181730&fromsearch=1entry4181730

Alright dude, thanks very much for the contact, much appreciated, i'd just bought one off ebay when you text me, but if by some horrendous twist of fate and this one is wrong for whatever reason i shall give him a call. cheers

Regarding the other loom i've got, it was a tad ropey, there was an issue with the crankwire being cut so if you cover the cost of the postage you can have it and see if its any good to you. i'll have to wait till mine is finished and i'll grab it from the garage then. should be about a week, i'll pm you when i know. sound

max,

Yea sounds good to me, well best of luck with that. Will all be worth it when its done, just make sure the auxillary water pump runs fine as mine still isn't working and i've got to figure out what wire I've missed out!!!

But yea, if you need any bits give him a call, he's a top guy and will sort you out and he knows his VW's!

Just to jump in, I'm pretty certain that the injector harness is OBD2 specific too. The throttle body connections are definitely part of the same harness and do go through the large twist multiplug next to the auxilliary water pump.

OBD1 cars have the ISV and TPS on the injector loom, whereas the OBD2 loom has the TPS and idle control stepper motor plug combined together as one large(ish) multiplug that goes onto the throttle body itself.

It's been a couple of years since I did an OBD2 conversion so I'm not 100% sure on that, but to be honest I'm 99% sure so I think it'd be worth looking into getting the injector/TB/temperature sensor harness too.

Cheers

Tom

That's the harness he's after Tom, it's 100% different from obd1 as it has the throttle body plug. I've always wondered what the difference between a late obd1 fusebox loom and obd2 loom is, I should be able to find out soon enough... to the benefit of all late vr6 owners :D

Think i might have found one mate, just to confirm, to your knowledge is this an engine loom, as it looks different to the last one i purchased and to my eyes looks like the engine specific loom? might email the link to the garage and then he can check himself. your help as always is appreciated, cheers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk3-GOLF-VR6-ENGINE-WIRING-LOOM-OBD2-/280879873024?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4165bebc00

Just checked on my loom and this does look like an OBD2 engine loom.The wiring/plug for the throttle body is attached to a bracket that mounts to the manifold which you can see in the photo. Just a shame the loom wasn't spread out a little better. If it turns out to be an OBD1 loom then you have the right to ask for your money back as it would have been incorrectly advertised. Looks like the right one to be honest.