sexybourbon

thoughts on integra type r's

Am i stupid for having the noggke to change to a type r

Iv had an offer on one ! Good nick lots done and and its very clean

Has anyone had one before and if so wat they like to live with ? I love the vr but i keep getting an itch i dont no weather to scratch

DC2 or DC5?

Have driven a DC5 and it was awesome. Not tried a DC2. You can always get another VR6 if you don't like it ;)

1997 inport 11000 miles but shows it in km js racing carbon fibre intake system 5 zigen exhaust from manifold to back upgrade brakes all round skunk2 short shifter and g ready vtec controller and coil overs

This is the spec on it i think if its 97 it will be dc2 im not sure as iv never looked in to jap cars but always like these

I went in a starlet the other week and the interior was like a plastic tupperware box although that thing shifted running a subaru turbo lol

Iv hear the vtecs are really reliable but what about fuel and meintenance and running costs these are the things that im not sure on

I know this isnt a vag car but i know people are helpfull on here

I've had several V-TECS including a 5th Gen 2.2 Prelude and a 1.8 VTI (same basic engine as the DC2 IIRC).

They're excellent, but very different to a Rado in every respect. Wouldn't want one long-term. I always went back to a Rado. Also think the DC2 looks very dated now.

Have you driven it? Give it a good drive, then drive the VR straight away afterwards. Think carefully about which you could actually live with.

Not driven it yet mate just in talks got a few pics sent over and the spec need to wait till im home at weekend to go see it in the flesh and have a drive

Iv always liked the integra for some reason cheers for the info tho bud im not sure wats gonna happen yet it will have to be special for me to sell the rado tho

Out of the box, the DC2 is one of the best track day cars you can buy for a reasonable budget, but a Corrado VR6 is more suited to the road and just as quick. The Integras ride is very hard! Should be similar running costs to a VR6, and the Integras rust just as badly as Corrados :D

An EP3 Civic type R would make for a better road car.

Edited by j_s14a

A standard Corrado can not live with a standard DC2 on the track, or on some B roads. The Honda has better brakes, suspension, gearbox, engine and reliability. I had a moonstone grey Civic Type R (O5 plate) and I've always regretted letting it go.

I love Corrado's and I have two (VR6 & 2.0 16V), but sorry they can't live with fast VTECS. The one advantage a VR6 does have over a DC2 is comfort and looks.

I bought a 1999 UKDM DC2 after selling the Corrado VR6.

Buying tips:

- Look for rust (arches, sills the usual places);DB they rust ‘inside out’ so if ‘bubbles’ have appeared at the rear arches then the chances are the panels are rotten inside. Ask the seller if s/he would remove the rear interior panels to check for rust.

- Check to see if there’s any water at the boot floor (spare wheel area). Very cheap and easy fix though so if you’ve found water but no rust, don’t worry about it.

- Check for smoke when vtec is engaged (above 5800 rpm).

- Check the gearbox, it should be very precise and has a very ‘mechanical feel’ to it. When test driving the car try changing gears at vtec zone. It should be smooth.

- Other than that just do your usual checks as if it’s just any other car.

Integra is loud and cruel; basically a racer for the road. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I love it. With standard LSD means traction out of corners is brilliant. I’ve done 3,500 miles so far and the mpg is about 25 (inc two track days).

I don’t find the ride hard at all; it’s firm but very good for A/B roads. However mine is with the standard suspensions (with some new bushes) rather than coilovers.

Corrado is the better all-rounder and ‘cooler’ but Integra gives me more driving pleasure.

Test drive one before making your mind up is my best (and predictable) advice.

Mine:

Photo%25200747e_sml.JPG

At Goodwood last week:

IMG_0959_02.JPG

On ramp getting TLC:

esml_Photo%25200816.JPG

I bought a 1999 UKDM DC2 after selling the Corrado VR6.

I wondered where you'd gone :D

I don’t find the ride hard at all; it’s firm but very good for A/B roads. However mine is with the standard suspensions (with some new bushes) rather than coilovers.

The DC5 was incredibly firm, made even worse by it's 17s. Great looking car though and the one I'd go for, if I was in the market for an Integra.

Just sitting in the thing, it's intent is obvious. As you say, a race car for the road. Super grippy recaros and a completely paired down interior. The bare minimum required. Even the door speaker's magnets are special lightweight items.

In fact I'd go as far to say the Integra is not even in the same league as the Corrado. They are chalk and cheese and should be treated as entirely different classes. One's a cruiser, the other is a racer.

A standard Corrado can not live with a standard DC2 on the track, or on some B roads. The Honda has better brakes, suspension, gearbox, engine and reliability. I had a moonstone grey Civic Type R (O5 plate) and I've always regretted letting it go.

I love Corrado's and I have two (VR6 & 2.0 16V), but sorry they can't live with fast VTECS. The one advantage a VR6 does have over a DC2 is comfort and looks.

I spent alot of time on drives with a friend who had an EP3, and the VR6 had no problem keeping up on b-roads. The Vtecs lack any mid range torque, but stopping was much harder as the stock VR6 brakes aren't upto much abuse :D

I really like Integras, but they're definately not suited to anything but the track in the UK (even the motorway is a pain as they have a tendency to drone) though even in stock form they will keep pace with exotica if driven well on a twisting track.

If i was after a fast road Vtec, I'd be looking at the Accord R, CRX vtec (mk 2), EP3 Civic R or an S2000.

Not had first hand experience of living with one but a friend of mine has one as his only car - cycles to work so not daily 'daily'..

Defo more good points than bad!

Very thirsy in vtec and underpowered out of it.

I quite like the interior - yes it's bland and plasticy but what car actually isnt? At least with the Teggers there's a scene of purpose. Recaros are nice, again not as comfy as Rado Recaros, but all adds to the lightweight feel of the car.

My friends just had to do a bit of body work, rear arches and around bumper/boot area. About £500 and its looking spanking now.

His is standard, with full main dealer history. He's kept this up, taking advantage of fixed price servicing - Apparently Honda have the same price for service items on the Integra as a Jazz or anything else!?!

I'd love to own one, but I know I'd get bored of it quickly. If you did lots of track days etc i'd sell the Rado without second thoughts. If you want a sporty daily then stick with what you have.

As stated already they're deffo not a practical daily. Low end torque was more dissapointing than my valver! I absolutely hate the interior, looks like something a 15 year old did in GCSE design class! And I honestly think they are MASSIVELY over priced! Would I buy one if I could afford to buy and run it though - in a heartbeat!

CTR EP3 vs VR6 off the lights, who wins? On paper I would say it quite literally comes down to driver skill? What do you think?

Ah a massive mix of views then i reaaly like the idea of a screaming v tec but at the same time im thinking of the low down power being a bit rubbish i suppose its swings and roundabouts and how and where you drive it

Its truly a hard decision choosing a car when you own a corrado and you know you have an itch for other cars but at the same time you know you should really keep that little gem sat on your drive because its hard to find good ones these days