ausgolfer

Conversion suggestion, G60 to...

Hi people.

Am picking up my first corrado this weekend. It's a 92' G60

I would have liked a VR6 but here in Australia you have to take what you can get, as there are only about 8 corrados in the whole country.

Anyway I've been thinking about attempting a conversion to complete VR6 running gear. I do love the sound of the VR but am a little worried it might spoil the handling.

Would like to hear as many opinions as possible on what would be your choice and most importantly why. Including the drivetrain. Handling benefits or drawbacks and engine tunability.

Some options:

Std G60

16v G60

VR6

VR6T

1.8 20v t

R32

2.0 TFsi

Other?

Drivetrain options:

02A

02A + quaife

Mk4 haldex style 4wd

Other?

And to make it clear, just going out and purchasing a VR6 is not an option here. But importing a VR6 to use as parts is.

I look forward to reading some feedback and suggestions. Cheers

How much money you got?,depends on what you get. I done 1.8t 20v which was cost effective and lots of fun.wiring is hardest,lump goes in easy. Heard the TSFI are good too but the wiring is extremely hard and your better off finding a company that do them and also the engine needs custom mounts.

putting vr6 in a 4 cylinder shell isnt best option.You'll need complete subframe,suspension,harness..etc

4 wheel drive on a raddo is labour intensive and a very expensive route.02A gearbox with a quaife LSD is a better option.

Few guys on here including myself will advise you to go down the 1.8t 20v route because it works out cheaper in the long run,more tuneable(G60 close too) partsare readly available,and best bang for your buck and easiest to do.If you find a g60 with working g-lader then do that or 16v

Thanks that's a good suggestion. Any more?

What sort of power is ok in fwd until you "need" 4wd? I do have a lot of fwd experience. But nothing with more than 200 bhp.

Ps. Am selling my R32 to fund the corrado project.

im not sure what power im running but its not slow,

And its FWD without an LSD.Scarey thought!!!

I'm running 270ish with a wavetrac LSD

Can be a handful if wet or heavy footed !

Bang for buck as Danny says you can't beat a good 20vt

I'd do a 1.8t for the availability and potential, cost and simplicity plus it's not too heavy and will help retain the corrado 'poise' the only real negatives are sound and soul, 2l fsi turbo would be nice but there's way more installation and technical issues to overcome

Or tdi it, you could get monster torque from a tuned 2l 16v tdi

Edited by davidwort

Im running the good old 2.8 24v V6 out of a Bora, running around 220BHP. Its not staggering power but with the torque from that engine I seldom require 1st gear, just pull off in 2nd.

I don't have the money for this but Graham from DG Autotek told me, with a blower spliced on id comfortably see 450BHP. Food for thought depending on the depth of your pockets!

Pretty much agree with the above in that you should not Put a heavy VR engine in a G60 shell

so if there are only 8 corrado's in new zealand?

you should go 16v G60 lol

VW's 16vG60 is a legendary engine it was VW's most powerfull engine (210BHP) for 12 years ? until the R32(237BHP) popped up in 2003? and even then with some smaller pulleys + remap the 16vG60 will be on parr (if not quicker as its lighter) with the R32 V6 gang and inkeeping with your car's G60 heritage 8)

but bang for buck 20v turbo is hard to beat really........

im in the same position right now, i got my 90 corrado engine blown yesterday! somebody can give me an advise! ive been thinking to put in a 2.0 engine block with my stock 1.8 head, somebody would recomend that swap?

do you guys think i can get i better performance from that?

Why not keep it a g60? Getting rare now. If you want rip something to bits to put a different engine in, why not 8v? Don't know about where you are but there's a few over here.

I might put my old g60 engine for sale with ecu but it would cost a fortune to send to aussiy.Now i have to try swipe it from my old house the Ex-wife is living in!!

I might put my old g60 engine for sale with ecu but it would cost a fortune to send to aussiy.Now i have to try swipe it from my old house the Ex-wife is living in!!

Beetch

Told her she goes before the car.... I still have my car :lol:

:rofl: