Sign in to follow this  
munkay

G60 Pulley size poll

which size pulley do you run?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. which size pulley do you run?

As the poll on main page indicates the most users on this board have G60s, can we have a poll set up to show what pulley sizes everyone is using?

how about:

- Stock

- 70mm

- 68mm

- 65mm

- less than 65mm :shock:

(Please add in other common sizes as these were the ones I could think of)

what? a bit like that? ;)

(oh and you forgot to add in Storms and Campaigns to the VR6s which are actually more common on the forum! ;) )

I'm running stock size, but toothed... 8)

talk to the hand ;)

Thanks m8 :)

...errr...let the voting begin ...to vote 65mm text VOTE 65mm :D

(I have 68mm for the record)

Hey Darren, it lloks like you and Pete could be getting a lot of business - the rebuild interval for chargers with all those 65mm pulleys must be tiny... :D

LOL... Oil seals last exactly 1000miles on a 58mm toothed pulley.. I did manage 1100 miles on the 3rd rebuild.. then got hacked off with rebuilding my charger at short intervals so reverted back to 65mm. In saying that I was getting 25psi out of a G40 charger at 6k rpm. All in the name of reseach.

stock at the mo,

but stage 4 charger and supersprint exhaust with de-cat and K&N panel filter

68mm.....

lol what does it sound like with a 58mm pulley? must be some whirr!

I once worked out the rotational speed with a 68mm pulley as opposed to standard... think it was about 15% faster? 8)

stock for me, can anyone produce a non digilag chip for use with the stock pulley? as i do quite high mileage so wanted to keep the charger service intervals reasnobly far apart,,

68mm... would probably get the stock one put back on when i'm due to get the G-Lader rebuilt.

I knew someone with a MK1 Golf G60 who ran a 63mm pulley......the charger grenaded itself about a month later!

K

I knew someone with a MK1 Golf G60 who ran a 63mm pulley......the charger grenaded itself about a month later!

must have been one fun month though.. 8) :lol:

Why would anyone run the stock size out of choice money being no object? How much more wear does a 68 cause than stock? Or how more often do you have to rebuild charger? Im a bit confused now...I thought generally one would tend to get the charger "flowerd" and bored out to stage 4 say, with a smaller sized pully to match and compliment this to up boost...which has the most affect on boost levels then smaler pulley or charger flowing?

I think if I got a G60 I would run the smallest I could get away with if it meant a big increase in performance...or is this a silly approach?

I've kept the standard size pulley as I don't want to run large amounts of boost with my new engine... The charger has been seen to by Jabba to stage 4, and then cleaned up and port matched to my new Golf G60 outlet by Darren (as well as being properly rebuilt this time! ;) )

My new engine is running a slightly higher than stock compression ratio which will mean that any boost that goes in will be more affective than on a normal compression ratio, hence sticking with the stock size.... Also, the pulleys on mine are run off a toothed belt system, so I will never have problems with the drive belt slipping at higher revs and should be able to take the engine right up to the redline if I want to so I can squeeze every last bit of power out of it without risking over-revving the pulley....

Sticking a smaller pulley on is a good way to get more power out, but you have to make sure that you keep a good eye on the servicing intervals so your charger stays in good condition.... 8) Some people (like myself) are doing some quite high milages and don't want to have to rebuild the charger twice a year, so stock helps keep the costs down...

68mm.....

lol what does it sound like with a 58mm pulley? must be some whirr!

I once worked out the rotational speed with a 68mm pulley as opposed to standard... think it was about 15% faster? 8)

LOL..sounds like this

http://www.pitstopdevelopments.co.uk/vid/Blithbu.avi

I'm not a big fan of pullies under 65mm for daily use. The top shaft bearings on the G60 charger are under a lot of load. At consistant high RPM cheaper brands tend to chuck their grease out past their sheilds, the bearing then over heats, binds up and locks the charger up..hence poped top casings.

Realisticaly a G60 blower should be inspected every 15-20k miles on a 68mm pulley. This does not necessarily mean that it needs a full rebuild, just a interim service replacing the apex seals, oil seals and timing belt.

As Henny says, slihly higher engine compession is a more reliable method of making the most out of your charger without overworking it[/url]

must have been one fun month though.. 8) :lol:

Yeah it was! Think it was pushing around 240bhp...... He had a Maestro turbo 5th in a 16V gearbox (020) so it pulled way over 140......which is when it went bang :oops:

The mess was unbelievable. The hole in the casing was big enough to get a clenched fist in and there was fragments of G lader embedded into the hole opening..... :shock:

K

I am running a standard one at the moment, but i will be shrinking :lol: over the summer!

As well as the engine getting some "minor" mods internally :wink:

68mm at the moment, might bring it up to 70 though, just because im worried about the charger. i dont have the cash to rebuild it and the car has alot of miles on it and the last guy didn't rebuild it.

WHen I rebuild it I can put the 68 back on ;P Although I honestly dont know what type of difference that is going to make

Either that or im going to buy a turbo, but thats for another thread ;P

I'm currently thrashing the nads off a 65mm pulley & R1 spec charger :D

omg - I really do need some red tops :rambo: