Swompy

I just cant make my mind up!!!!!!

Most of you have probably seen my corrado up for sale. But ideas keep popping in to my head.

The one that keeps coming up again and again is taking it off the road transferring my insurance to the golf (with my ncb) saving me more money each month and doing a complete resto on the car. Taking my time and adding loads of juicy bits like a charger of some sorts, awd or even rwd, strip the paint back and treat the body work ect.

Obviously would take me a good few years to do myself and would take a lot of work to do. But I'm young and have plenty of time on my hands so I can go at my own pace. I would learn so much whilst doing it. I have the forum for help and DG on the end of the phone too.

Whats your thoughts?

I hate my brain some times, Im so indecisive some times :bonk:

Edited by Swompy

Do it mate, if you have the time and space, and wouldnt miss the money from selling the car then i'd do it!

Im looking to try and take mine off the road and get a second car at the moment, with me using mine as a daily im starting to wory about the milage im putting on it, and also getting wound up wih having to drive it so carefully with the state of the roads. My biggest problem is looking for somewhere I can keep it off the road which isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg.

If you already have that, and something else to potter about it (which looks awsome btw) and most of all you wont miss the money you would get from selling it, then i'd hold on to it.

Sounds like most people who do get rid start to miss them at some point and hanker after one again anyway.

Just my 2p

Sounds like most people who do get rid start to miss them at some point and hanker after one again anyway.

Id second that!

If you've got space...and there's no rush... and can afford to ... its a no-brainer in my book and something i'd love to do.

....when you've got one its easy to forget how amazing they are and its taken til now to realise that my life is just a little bit duller without a VR6 in it

I would 3rd the motion if you dont need the money, keep it.

Would love to do a project car but dont have the space at the moment

I have a garage I can work in, not big one like I used to tho :( would have to build a shed to make more room in the garage as its full of bits as well as the corrado. plus with the shed it would give me the space to work on the sub frame and bits out of the elements.

Im not fused on the money, it would only get wasted on mods for the new car

I have a garage I can work in, not big one like I used to tho :( would have to build a shed to make more room in the garage as its full of bits as well as the corrado. plus with the shed it would give me the space to work on the sub frame and bits out of the elements.

Im not fused on the money, it would only get wasted on mods for the new car

I think you have already made your decision !!!

Keep it Jake, for gods sake. As you say you'd only throw it away modding a MK3 golf estate.. which would essentially be throwing your money down the drain as a MK3 Golf is never going to be as desirable as a Corrado. Remeber the Golf is your daily... drive it, fix it when it needs it.. otherwise forget about it.

You've got a great base to work from on the Corrado - now stop procrastinating and pull that damn advert. Fix the niggling problems and enjoy the car.

I much prefer the forthright Jim to the PC and tactful Jim :D

He's being like it everywhere - think he either needs chocolate or sunshine !!! :-)

Interesting to see mind

Sunshine would definitely help! :) No girlfriend.. so no help there!

Edited by Jim

Keep it, but don't start pulling things apart until you can put them back together.

Collect stuff you need and do a job at a time not everything at once.

Then if you want/ need to sell at a later date you don't have a garage and shed with bits of car everywhere you have something you could tax and drive if you wanted. Trust me!

Keep it. You WILL miss it if you sell it, this has been proven many times by people selling up and ending up buying their old one back or buying another.

Don't sell her. I sold my Corrado 14 months ago, seemed like the best thing to do at the time, with getting married, fuel prices etc After about 2 months I severely began to regret it. I then emailed the new owner every couple of oaths asking if I could buy her back with no luck. Now, I have my new Corrado arriving on Sunday and can't wait.

If you have put as much time, effort and love into a car as you have, you WILL regret it. Maybe not straight away, next month or even a few months later but once Corrado's are under your skin, there's no getting away!

Your choice though!

Thanks every one, made my mind up.

check the for sale thread and you will see which one it is ;)

I can't keep up with your love life :D

You say that like I'm some kind of lothario mate! The truth is far, far less interesting. Sigh.

Shocker as petrolhead car forum advises long standing member to keep car!

My advice: Keep it :D

Dude, I'd say keep it and do what you suggested. In years to come, it will be a real classic and you'll be pleased you'd taken the time to make it perfect, with the bonus that you'd done all that work yourself.

We're considering eventually trading ours in, but we always think of reasons we should keep it. We've even thought about storing and restoring too.

You've already got a very nice VR, why get rid when one day you'll only want another.

Thanks every one, made my mind up.

check the for sale thread and you will see which one it is ;)

Wup wup! I assume by the closed thread that you're keeping her! That or someone snapped her up straight away.

Keep it, but don't start pulling things apart until you can put them back together.

Collect stuff you need and do a job at a time not everything at once.

Then if you want/ need to sell at a later date you don't have a garage and shed with bits of car everywhere you have something you could tax and drive if you wanted. Trust me!

Wise words- Feelings and situations can change quickly and it would be good to still have a sellable car at each step.

I'm sure you know this already but even a VR with tens of thousands of pounds spent on it is still not an Evo, GTR, R8 etc. and never will be. If you want a very fast road/track car with big numbers and the ability to smoke nearly anything else on the road then there are cheaper ways of doing it.

However, if you want something close to that but is still a Corrado... then do it. That was the reason I bought mine- I honestly think they are best looking and classiest car around and the upgrades you are talking about will really modernise it and give you a LOT of fun. Your situation is different from mine in that you have the space, knowledge and confidence to do it yourself. I lacked all that, so waited around for the right car to come along and looking at original build cost I'm glad I did!!!

Wise words- Feelings and situations can change quickly and it would be good to still have a sellable car at each step.

I'm sure you know this already but even a VR with tens of thousands of pounds spent on it is still not an Evo, GTR, R8 etc. and never will be. If you want a very fast road/track car with big numbers and the ability to smoke nearly anything else on the road then there are cheaper ways of doing it.

However, if you want something close to that but is still a Corrado... then do it. That was the reason I bought mine- I honestly think they are best looking and classiest car around and the upgrades you are talking about will really modernise it and give you a LOT of fun. Your situation is different from mine in that you have the space, knowledge and confidence to do it yourself. I lacked all that, so waited around for the right car to come along and looking at original build cost I'm glad I did!!!

Oh how so few words are oh so true!!!!!!!........... nicely put Matt.

Swompy

The thing is, you have already spent a good fair wedge on her and we all know once you have had a Corrado there is no going back. It's all about what you want. The hardest decision I have ever had to make was selling 889, but having had 303 for nigh on 13yrs there is no way I could get rid, so 889 was sacrificed, I can now put all my (no sorry Graham can put his skills into making 303 great again). All I want is 303 to look and drive like I bought her in 99. A bit more poke would not go amiss but nothing like 889 gave me. I just want her to feel proud again. If you keep her, cherish her, but ultimately Matt is correct if you want a quick car there are lots of alternative options. If money is not an object; build away but bare in mind it will never give you the return.

Edited by ozowen
spelling

Thanks for the words of advice guys. I know what your saying and I know there will be quicker cars out there for half the price but its not a corrado. I know there are more things in the world than a corrado but its just something about them. You all know that and its different for each person.

Nothing like walking back to your car in a car park and just think dam I own the best looking car in here!

Why do I want to do a awd conversion on my C? Havnt got a clue, I want the challenge, Matt I defo dont have the knowledge of how to do this but I enjoy challenges. I know Im never going to get a return on the money I have invested so far in the Rado so I might as well stick with it and turn it into the car I have been dreaming about. As if I ever won the lotto I would do the same thing yes I would buy a super car but I would still have a corrado on the drive. Looks standard on the out side but under its skin it would be a monster.

I'm kinda half way there with the 24v engine which should have plenty of life in it. I just need to freshen up the other bits.

I have the space, and time to do this and I can go at my own pace. At the same time can learn more about how the car works.

Hi my names Jake and I have a Corrado problem!

I'd either sell or keep it as it is with a little tlc but I don't think crazy time/cost conversions are very rewarding on a budget when you can simply buy a very capable car without the hassle.