tentonhammer

Full Respray - Estimate

You get what you pay for generally.

I haven't had one but from what I know I would want to budget around £2k for a half decent job. And don't forget you'll no doubt have a load of seals and other bits and pieces to replace as well.

Yep - seems to be around the £2,000 - £3,000 mark to get a good full respray done. Plus the cost of seals, trim, etc as Tom says.

Have been doing a little research as I'm saving up to get this very job done on my own Corrado..

I know a good place in Kent !

Budget about £3k and start buying as much trim as possible !

I started collecting about 18 months before my respray, a lot of its now obsolete, so good luck !

Speaking from personal experience, you may be able to bring the price down a little if you:

Strip the whole car down ( including windows ) yourself.

Repair any body issues yourself ( rust etc).

Ask one of the bodyshop to do it as a foreigner.

It may not be a lot but could save you a couple of hundred quid. And more importantly, you'll be in charge of removing and fitting expensive and obsolete pieces of trim.

Mine took a few weeks longer than expected, but I can live with that as it wasn't my everyday car.

Resprays cost much of a much. You pay a grand then you'll get a grands worth of respray and so on. Less money spent means more corners cut and less attention to detail. And it's those details that make the respray last.

I was quoted £800 as a cash job to spray my brothers mk2, the previous owner of my corrado paid £7500 to have it done.

So somewhere inbetween!

Find a couple of places and phone them for quotes. Even knowing whether you have to budget for 2k or 3k is significant!

My quotes have come in at around £2000 - £2700 so about right really.

I presume then that it's inevitable that seals get damaged during removal process?

It is quite possible for seals and trim to be damaged, but if you are paying a good bodyshop for the whole job, they will a. take alot of care not to damage anything and b. take responsibility for any damage they cause. This should be discussed and agreed at quotation stage to ensure there is no confusion later on.

It is quite possible for seals and trim to be damaged, but if you are paying a good bodyshop for the whole job, they will a. take alot of care not to damage anything and b. take responsibility for any damage they cause. This should be discussed and agreed at quotation stage to ensure there is no confusion later on.

It may be in your interest to remove some bits yourself & get shopping early doors for: door scraper seals, wing mirror gasket, number plate plinth, door seals etc. I have managed to re use my boot & door seals after paint as they are in good order but it all depands on how much you want from the job.

Most importantly (IMO) is to have the glass out for 2 main reasons:

to get paint well beyond where the seals meet the body so any edges are hidden & sealed

to inspect your a pillars under the screen - id say this is an essential if you are spending £2k+ on a respray

Speaking from personal experience, you may be able to bring the price down a little if you:

Strip the whole car down ( including windows ) yourself.

Repair any body issues yourself ( rust etc).

Ask one of the bodyshop to do it as a foreigner.

It may not be a lot but could save you a couple of hundred quid. And more importantly, you'll be in charge of removing and fitting expensive and obsolete pieces of trim.

Mine took a few weeks longer than expected, but I can live with that as it wasn't my everyday car.

Resprays cost much of a much. You pay a grand then you'll get a grands worth of respray and so on. Less money spent means more corners cut and less attention to detail. And it's those details that make the respray last.

Also subtly mention/bring up the option of paying cash, some may not, but some body shops love cash work, its a good turn over for them and if your getting a 3k job could save you 600-odd quid!

I'm in the middle of getting mine done, price was £2.5k, gonna be nearer £3k when finished, thats for windows out full bare metal

I am also in the process of getting mine done just now, body shop quoted me around £1500 for full respray including doing a few extra bits and pieces. Helps to do a bit of the work yourself if you have the facilities. I removed everything to a rolling shell and I stripped the paint down to bare metal and primered it myself.

I personally would avaoid priming anything as if there is a fault the painter COULD claim its down to the primer/ surface you used blah blah

I know a guy up here who is fantastic & well priced due to just seting up on his own but its a bit far for you im sure....

2-3K for a decent windows out, bumpers/ bonnet etc off is about a right, if there is no major panel repairs or rust. expect a bit more if there's is some damage on your car.

Offer cash may sometimes get u a bit knocked off, if your can strip everything off 1st it will save u more than cash most the time, again if you refit u might save a bit but be sure to fully check EVERY bit of paintwork before collecting it from the shop for post painting damage/ unsatisfactory finish.

Most places that will do a decent job wont be too keen on painting someone else's prep work, especially if there using waterbased paints as it's requires a little more attention to the prep than solvents for a top finish especially on lighter metallics. With the old 2k paints, you could hide a lot more and not have to prep to as fine a grade of sanding.

Choosing a decent shop is quite important for a decent job, have a look at the workshop and it can tell you a lot, if its full of dust with old bits of paper and material scattered around and cars with thick dust all over them and a paint room with inch thick paint on the tables and floor with old tins of paint everywhere than more than likely you wont get the fnish your looking for. Ask to have a look at some of there work, if they do good work they'll be more than happy to show it off to you. Dont get me wrong a little dust and that is too be expected and the only bit thats needs to be real clean is booth but if it looks like a right **** pit you'll probably best looking else where.

Having worked at both ends of the spectrum startin at the cheap blow over **** pit to currently working in high end super well equipped paintshop there is a vast difference in quality and price and at the end of the day u get what u paid for!!

This may not be a popular solution, but have you considered a vinyl wrap instead of a new paint job? You could easily buy some cheap vinyl and "have a go" at a tricky panel and see if you have the nounce to do it yourself - the only tools you really need is a squeegee and a heat gun, the rest comes down to talent. Depending on the type of vinyl you opt for, costs to cover a whole car range from £300 onwards (without too much waste, a paintflip style wrap would cost about £600 in materials). Have a look at what's on offer here http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/vehiclewrapping.asp and do some youtube viewing to see how to apply it.

Of course, you could pay someone else to apply it, but then the costs go into re-spray territory and for that price, you may as well re-spray! The point I am making here is that sticking vinyl down yourself is easier to get right than spraying yourself, so if you want to change the colour of your car on the cheap, it could be worth a punt.

Of course, if you mess it up, you've just wasted a quarter of the costs that you could have put towards a proper paint job!!

I actually asked the guys linked above for a sample of the black/purple iridescent one (which is black or purple or blue or green depending on the light) and even though it was a small piece and not something to go down on a large panel, it was surprisingly pliable when warmed up and easy to peel off and put back down again. I decided against doing a whole car, though, but then I wasn't really serious about changing mine...

It seems to be pretty hard to get vinyl done properly though - all the jobs I've seen have looked amazing from a distance but don't bear close inspection. Here's a great example from GTI International - looked stunning until you started looking properly and found every seam, panel line and edge had been wrapped incorrectly. If I'd paid for it to be done and my Lupo came back like that I'd be heartbroken!

vinyl1.jpg

vinyl2.jpg

vinyl3.jpg

vinyl4.jpg

vinyl5.jpg

It was such a shame as the majority of the work was great, it was just totally let down by the finish at the edges. These are just the photos I had lying around by the way, they're not even the worst bits!

I'm planning a full respray myself as all the panels are slightly different colours and there's tons of rust and dings to sort out. I was quoted £2k to do the exterior (with the glass out) after sorting all the rust/welding and doing a few mods (Audi A6 door handles, smoothed roof, swapping side indicators for USA side markers, swapping to the later 'hidden' windscreen washers etc etc) but I can see that drifting upwards slightly when they put it in writing. I'll definitely be working out with them what trim needs to come out as with the best will in the world they can't do it as carefully as you will when you know how hard some of it is to find! I've got some spare rear quarter windows as they were my main worry, but I'm sure a few things will get lost or broken along the way. All part of the fun ;)

Stone

I getting mine done tomorrow for 500, plus New windscreen fitted. The guy thats doing it had resprayed my 16v, did a really good job. Hope he does the same on the vr.

I getting mine done tomorrow for 500, plus New windscreen fitted. The guy thats doing it had resprayed my 16v, did a really good job. Hope he does the same on the vr.

Ooft...I'd be up for a bit of that! Are you prepping it yourself? Quite fancy wrapping too, egdes wouldn't bother me, anything would be an improvement on my facing and peeling red!

I just stripped the car and sorted the underside out he'd be doing all the prep work and spraying it. Will try and get pics up as soon as I get time.

I must admit the idea of "wrapping" your motor is certainly very appealing but lets be honest - nothing beats a professional respray. It's the cost of respray that's the issue for most of us not to mention the time it takes to source and buy replacement seals parts etc in case any are broken / damaged during removal.

If the wrap was done right the car could look stunning - Get it wrong, and well.. it would eat and eat away at me. The finish has got to be spot on or it'll just look tacky.

Can totally see the benefits though:

Fairly cheap in comparison to respray

Graphic options are endless

Ease of install

Reduces stone chips in your paintwork

You retain your original paintwork

No need to contact DVLA to inform them of colour change as vinyl wrap is deemed "temporary"

I wonder how easy it is to clean, can it be polished etc?

Yeah, those photo's of the 'finishing' do make it look bad, but I would have thought they're all fixable with a little bit of extra work? As far as I am aware, it's easy to keep looking like new with just a soapy wash, no need to polish to increase depth of shine on the glossy vinyls, but when I looked into it a while back I found a few forums where people were putting a layer of wax over it to go it that extra layer of protection and give it the 'paint effect' look. No idea if it made any difference - you know what people can be like when it comes to having already spent money on something and never admitting to a mistake!

vinyl is not the answer. it can look good from a distance, but even good wraps dont look great up close.

i've only seen a couple that were flawless and even then i expect there was things i didnt notice.

great if you want a different look for each show, or for launch event type use like bmw are currently doing, but not suitable as a longer term or daily option.

you also have to have perfect paint underneath, any scratches/dents/rust spots will show and look more obvious than before.

paint is all about prep.