tentonhammer

Full Respray - Estimate

I am sort of thinking about a respray on my 2ltr 16v.

My car is far from mint but mechanically she is pretty solid. I know that she has some rust on the drivers wing behind the mud guard and she is rusting on the tailgate under the spoiler around the number plate light holder thing (which is rusted to buggery too)

Thing is, if a respray is to be about 2 to 3k and on top of that there are all the bits that would be better to source before the respray ( not sure what all the bits would be but am betting they would come to a few hundred quid )

Is it really worth it?

I mean, for that price I can get my hands a on pretty clean VR6 maybe even a nice G60.....

I dont want to let the old girl go and would love dearly to restore her a little, but 3k is a lot of cash to throw around.

what are your views ?

500 for a respray, wow, I would go for that, 2-3k never ever as it's twice of that what my car is worth as a one piece. I was quoted locally at 1200 quid but still to much, probably will be doing it myself or leave it as it is.

My car is far from mint but mechanically she is pretty solid. I know that she has some rust on the drivers wing behind the mud guard and she is rusting on the tailgate under the spoiler around the number plate light holder thing (which is rusted to buggery too)

Thing is, if a respray is to be about 2 to 3k and on top of that there are all the bits that would be better to source before the respray ( not sure what all the bits would be but am betting they would come to a few hundred quid )

Is it really worth it?

I mean, for that price I can get my hands a on pretty clean VR6 maybe even a nice G60.....

I dont want to let the old girl go and would love dearly to restore her a little, but 3k is a lot of cash to throw around.

what are your views ?

For f**k sake mate you could have had my old BBM G60 for near that money buy a nice g60 break your 16v keep essential part's for yourself sell whatever else no diss to your car mate but i wouldn't even consider spending that kind of till on a16v unless it was super clean:thumbleft:(oh stoney who owned my car spent 6.5k on a respray i reckon he paid 5k over the odd's)

Edited by clumpy1

Is it really worth it?

what are your views ?

if you like the car get a good 2nd hand boot lid, and wing, bolt on and carry on driving it. Or once a year pick the worst bit and get that repaired....

Is it really worth it?

what are your views ?

My view - you need a VR in your life! Don't waste money on a respray.

I had 2 16v's, then I bought a VR, wished I'd done it years ago.

You're local so when I get my VR back on the road early spring come over for a ride.

Apologies for the thread hi-jack.

Good advice from both corradophil and daves16v up to you now bud these guy's are long term owner's so know what they are talking about (This is what forum's are supposed to be about) respect.

Cheers Clumpy,

I get what you are saying bud. I kinda had the same thoughts but just needed to hear it from another Corrado nut :)

I dont think I could break it though...... just no...... :( To many of the old girls being "retired" these days and it breaks my heart to see it. I understand why dont get me wrong, but I am a sentimental old git and just dont think I could do that to my car.

Cheers Phil and Dave :) As with Clumpy I hear the advice and think it is maybe the better idea. I think I will look at getting the rusty bits sorted and get the paint cleaned up and maybe move her on..... or give her to the Mrs? Might soften the blow of me getting "another bloody car" :)

Dave, thanks for the offer, would love to take you up on that as and when :)

Now, G60 or VR...... thats for another thread though :)

Cheers

Al

Edited by Big_Al

Cheers Clumpy,

I get what you are saying bud. I kinda had the same thoughts but just needed to hear it from another Corrado nut :)

I dont think I could break it though...... just no...... :( To many of the old girls being "retired" these days and it breaks my heart to see it. I understand why dont get me wrong, but I am a sentimental old git and just dont think I could do that to my car.

Cheers Phil and Dave :) As with Clumpy I hear the advice and think it is maybe the better idea. I think I will look at getting the rusty bits sorted and get the paint cleaned up and maybe move her on..... or give her to the Mrs? Might soften the blow of me getting "another bloody car" :)

Dave, thanks for the offer, would love to take you up on that as and when :)

Now, G60 or VR...... thats for another thread though :)

Cheers

Al

Go with a VR. You know you really want to!! :thumbleft:

How much roughly to respray your Corrado these days?

Any recommendations in / around the Surrey area?

Cheers,

Met some guy today who with his brother owns a body shop in Croydon. Can't remember the name but I took his number and will be going to visit in the new year to see examples of work etc. Was quoted £1900 for a windows out respray. You're more than welcome to come with me, I'll let you know when I plan to go.

Nick

this isnt aimed at anyone iv only read a few comments but imo far to many people are too anal about the look of paint these days and would rather break a car because of a rust patch and a few scratchs when infact they should just use the car and enjoy it as it is! i resprayed my car last year mainly to save it from rusting away and to invest in it but now its made me feel very differently about how i want to use the car, for example i cannot leave it alone in a car park! and it has to be locked up in my shed otherwise im paranoid about whos by it especialy on a fri/sat night when drunks are about, even though i did it myself it still cost around £500 to do and + my time , if i had of paid 2k for it i guess idd be even worse about it , i dont regret doing it as it looks awesome and i can now easily sell it for alot more then what i brought it for but part of me wishs i could have the corrado back where i didnt care what weather its driven in or where i park it or leave it. dodgey paint cars = fun and careless, so bare that in mind when your thinking about a 2k respray

this isnt aimed at anyone iv only read a few comments but imo far to many people are too anal about the look of paint these days and would rather break a car because of a rust patch and a few scratchs when infact they should just use the car and enjoy it as it is! i resprayed my car last year mainly to save it from rusting away and to invest in it but now its made me feel very differently about how i want to use the car, for example i cannot leave it alone in a car park! and it has to be locked up in my shed otherwise im paranoid about whos by it especialy on a fri/sat night when drunks are about, even though i did it myself it still cost around £500 to do and + my time , if i had of paid 2k for it i guess idd be even worse about it , i dont regret doing it as it looks awesome and i can now easily sell it for alot more then what i brought it for but part of me wishs i could have the corrado back where i didnt care what weather its driven in or where i park it or leave it. dodgey paint cars = fun and careless, so bare that in mind when your thinking about a 2k respray

Another excellent view i agree with what you are saying 100% it has to be the owner's choice which way they go with it but it's good to let them know differing view's:thumbleft:

Another excellent view i agree with what you are saying 100% it has to be the owner's choice which way they go with it but it's good to let them know differing view's:thumbleft:

cheers, i know someone localy that rebuilt a mk2 golf, had a full respray and the car never gets used! i mean ever!, kind of a waste realy, i guess he will end up selling it to someone for a fraction of the price hes put into and then they will enjoy the car like he should of done, doesnt seem right when you look at it that way...