Sign in to follow this  
goodridge

Can i use a G60 everday?

Hi all, I'm currently drivin a mk2 golf gti 8v, and am thinkin of changing. I quite fancy a G60 corrado but is the fuel consumption really hideous? i'm gettin about 31mpg out of my golf at the moment with 17's on. If i get one and tune it to about 190-200bhp with 17's on, any ideas wot its gonna be like on fuel? Trouble is i need 2 use it for work everday. And the other thing is i'm only 20. is the insurance gonna kill me? i've got 3yrs NCB and my golf costs me about 600 at the moment. Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

mines fairly tuned with the usual stuff and i drive it everyday not a prob matey,,,,, depends how u drive to be honest if you keep it under 3-4k rpm its normally quite good than again weekends is a diff story :wink:

hope it all goes well

Insurance is alot for me...im in the states though.

If your G60 is taken care of you should be able to use it as a daily driver np.

Wouldn't hurt to have a bus pass though ;P

how many miles a year do you do? I was putting about 18K per year onto my G60 and it took it well considering it's got 236K on the clock! :?

Insurance is gonna hurt you a little more than the Golf, but shop around and you may get yourself a deal... there's plenty of people here who are around the same age as you and run G60s... 8)

As long as you keep on top of the servicing and make sure your supercharger is in good condition before you start messing with it, then they're as reliable as most 10 year old cars... 8)

How quick are they then? (tuned) I work at the local VW dealers but we hardly ever see them. Drove 1 standard 1. didnt think it woz much quicker than my gti?!

Prob do just over 20k a year. Being a boy i'm stil lovin it! :D so i still do loadsa miles at the weekends. any ideas of mpg's then for a tuned 1 on 17's 8)

mpg on a 68mm pulley/chip usual 190-200bhp mods will be around:

Town - 18-22

Calm driving out of town/motorway - 27-30

Hard driving on motorway/b roads - 20-22

Altho One 80 mile drive back on b roads doing a steady 58 I was getting a constant 36+ :)

The 2 position on the MFA giving av mpg on mine has always sat around 24.7-25.7 mpg

When you chip it etc you wont realyl notice much diff on the mpg - I didnt anyhow

Of course you can! :)

I do use my 1990 G60 everyday! 8)

Just take care of her! :!:

Do those basic maintenances at least! :idea:

You´ll be fine! 8)

I´m in love with her i confess... :D

G60s are fine on fuel so long as everything is tickety boo......

I only wish my VR could match the G60's economy.....but then a 2.9 V6 is hardly likley to match a 4 cylinder engine's economy, LOL!

Actually, I did manage to squeeze over 500 miles out of a tank from my VR once, when I was driving it like a granny.

G60s are fussy with cam and dizzy timing. I know of a certain G60 that was 2 teeth out on the cam timing.....25mpg on that setting. When corrected, 37 mpg at a steady 80 mph! That's very good by anyone's standards!

Thanks 4 ur replies, well i mite just have 2 get an insurance quote and go shoppin then! :mrgreen: I think i should be able to manage it as long as it doesn't average below 25mpg. Only trouble is there seems to be a lack of these cars 4 sale! did a national search on autotrader earlier, and it could only come up with 9!!! i was considering a golf g60, but they are a bit dearer and LHD :( So do you reckon a modded rado will keep up with a golf vr6? My mates got 1, with an induction kit and exhaust only, plus loads of dynamat and mdf! i'd be well happy if i could beat that! :D

The race would be close, but come on, you're in a Corrado - You'll look far cooler, especially if he's got half of B&Q attached to his car :D

modded G60 corrafo vs golf vr6????

the G60 wiil easily win tbh...and thats well before any tight corners.

Not a huge romping win on a straight..but significant enoug, they can be made pretty quick don't you know :)

..and ..why would mdf and dynomat speed a car up???

I'd agree with most of the above -

G60's do tend to use a fair amount of fuel when idling in traffic - I curently live 4 miles from where I work - I've seen an average of 12mpg on more that 1 occasion on my way home from work !!

my usual average is 25-27mpg overall,

steady 70mph - I can get approx 35-36mpg

Spec - R1 ported/polished charger, superchip, 65mm pulley, Jetex cone induction kit with heatshield, freeflow s/s exhaust with CAT bypass.

I need some red-top injectors & re-map asap - Honda Civic Type R was all over me like a rash one evening last week :(

Ideal! i'm almost completely sold 2 the idea then :D This forum is sooo bad 4 u! Got a felling it cud keep me very skint! :| So by the sounds of things, the best one to get is a 92 model coz they are a later spec??? Is there somewhere on the web i can find out what colours they came in? and would it be best to buy a standard one or a modded one? quite facy sum leather 2 but got a funny feeling i'm gonna have trouble?! I would like to start with a clean sheet tbh. Thats how i did my golf, coz that way as mentioned by sum 1 earlier, i can say i done it all :wink: oh, and dint mean the mdf and dynamat wud make it faster- soz. But the sub box alone weighs a ton on its own, and already bein a heavy old vr...........!!!!!!! :D

Bit more info available here - http://www.corradoclub.co.uk

'92 G60's were a bit of a mismatch between the early & late Corrados.

Later (VR6) bonnet, front wings, bumper, front fog & indicator lights.

Earlier interior though.

Also - be careful buying wheels if you're lowering the car - the ideal offset is different. You will have the narrower (10mm each side) axles but the wider (5mm each side) front wings. Mine is lowered by 80mm with 7.5x17" wheels on ET37 - even with 3mm spacers, they catch all over the place. I'll be replacing them with ET25's this summer. 8)

What's the top end on a tuned G60?

I've had mine up to 150mph a couple of times (whilst on autobahn) this is on the speedo and not timed so not too sure 4real.

My freind also has a tuned edition 1 Golf that'll hit 155mph on the speedo.

:shock:

I ve hit 155 in my G60 a couple of times but in the real world with the inacuracies taken on board I rewckon it was around the 145 mph mark ( on private roads of course ahem! ) :D

modded G60 corrafo vs golf vr6????

the G60 wiil easily win tbh...and thats well before any tight corners.

Not a huge romping win on a straight..but significant enoug, they can be made pretty quick don't you know :)

?

hmmm i think a certain Golf VR owner up here might make u eat your own words..........just ask struan :wink:

A fat 200 bhp vr6 golf mk3 versus a sleek 200bhp G60?

Surely the G60 would win - It's the laws of physics Jim! :)

A fat 200 bhp vr6 golf mk3 versus a sleek 200bhp G60?

Surely the G60 would win - It's the laws of physics Jim! :)

hmmmm the Corrado isnt exactly a lightweight either tho...........and i doubt very much aerodynamics would come in to play til near the end

well a corrado vr6 is quicker than a mk3 vr6

maybe on paper......but on the road its not so clear-cut

write-off the Golf VR at your peril tho :wink:

anyway where getting a bit off-topic here :wink:

hehe :)

Nah I know they are decent - My m8 has a nice black one. I would happily have a highline

well a corrado vr6 is quicker than a mk3 vr6

as a golf vr owner and a former c vr owner i'd say all is not so clear, the golf is more than a match for my old c in all areas, ok its been tuned a little an the c was stock,but more importantly the golf has been totally reliable compared to the c which broke down more than once,all i'd say is dont write the golf off,some g60 owners have and the golf keeps on going. :) :) :)