Danny Ess

do you find yourself being drawn back to the same model of car?

Basically I love MK1 golfs. Have had 3 and currently own one (which is for sale). Now i have wanted a corrado for quite a few years but insurance on them is what has kept me back. That and the nervousness of buying a right dog.

Now i think it's time to get my first corrado, however i can't get MK1s out of my head so im stuck at what to do. I know i'm on the corrado forum and you'll all tell me to get a corrado but do any of you find yourself selling your corrado, getting something different but then buying another corrado back?

I want to jump ship to the corrado boat but i dont want to get to a point a month down the line and want a mk1 again :D

There are 2 corrados for sale at the moment i like which pretty much tick all the boxes in corrado land. However there is a mk1 i've seen that i really want but needs a couple of changes but has the engine i want in a mk1.

So how do you try and stay away from a model you're attached to? :/

So how do you try and stay away from a model you're attached to? :/

I've had 8 corrado so far, and still have plans to buy a couple more. DONT ASK ME!!!

Nor me, had mine just over 10 years.

Often think of getting something else, and there are also cars out there I really like, can afford and would love to own, but don't seem able to pull myself out of my Corrado.

I sold my first Corrado, bought a Mk5 gti then sold that for another Corrado exactly the same as the first....so yes, yes I do.

You won't know until you try. Buy one, live with it, give it a fair chance and if it doesn't work out, move it on. I'm sure you'll be handy with the spanners, so there shouldn't be anything stopping you. There's some very good VR6s floating about for handy money.

I've had 8 corrado so far, and still have plans to buy a couple more. DONT ASK ME!!!

I've had 4 in 4 years.

I have plans for another two more sooner or later lol.

One OEM VR and an OTT showcar. Or maybe ill combine the two. Hmm...

I've had a mk1 hankering for a while now, and everytime I've decided to actually get a for sale ad up for my Corrado, I go for a drive. Then I decide I'm not gonna sell!! :lol:

Have you got an ad up for ur mk1 by anychance?

So whats wrong with the mk1 then......? why do you keep selling them.....? whats your expectations...?

Yeah it's for sale now the mk1.

I want to sell it because I'm not really after a mini project anymore. All it needs is abi of paint and a headlining. (It's my daily so have to sort things around when I don't need it). It's only for sale because I want a corrado or another mk1 that is already done.

And it's not like I sell them cause they're broke or anything. I had my black mk1 which had an engine conversion, audio etc sorted but fell out of love with it and regretted selling. So I think il just buying another mk1 to try and get it back to that level and its not really there. So want a corrado so I can just get in and drive it and not have too much messing about with it apart from the general maintenance.

The good thing about the C is that is still feels relatively modern when comparing to the likes of the Mk1's and Mk2's. I bought a Mk2 a few years back after a 10 year gap and couldnt believe how old it felt even though it was around the same age as my Corrado.

If you want a fairly new feeling, reasonably practical but smart looking older VW then the Corrado fits the bill. Oh and they tend not to rust as bad as Mk1's or Mk2's.

As you have found out the mk1 is great to look at but they all need work and constant supervision when used as dailys, if you want a nice corrado and daily running costs i`d go for an 8v one as they give good mpg and still look cool and modern/retro

Corrado is just right imo, not too old that its basic and looks like an old car, but not too new that its too hard to work on yourself.

It can seem expensive on parts, but compare that to some modern cars with similar performance/style and its actually quite average.

Can't find a reason to sell mine really, does all i want, looks great and i still enjoy it after 6yrs

Maybe it's just me but I would quite seriously consider getting rid of my Corrado tomorrow if I thought it was actually worth selling - but with values as they are, there's no point!

There's no way I could go back to a MK1 again. I like my basic cars, but not that basic :D I still have nightmares about the winters I drove that car in and people think the Corrado's wipers and headlights are bad!! And the heater, rubbish.....and the brakes.....my god, the brakes!!!

I've only had one Corrado, so not sure yet if I will come back to it. But MK1 and 2 Golfs, no chance :D

As you have found out the mk1 is great to look at but they all need work and constant supervision when used as dailys, if you want a nice corrado and daily running costs i`d go for an 8v one as they give good mpg and still look cool and modern/retro

Nah it has to be a Vr6. Needs to have some poke to it and a 2.0 8v is just the most boring engine in the world.

There's no way I could go back to a MK1 again. I like my basic cars, but not that basic :D I still have nightmares about the winters I drove that car in and people think the Corrado's wipers and headlights are bad!! And the heater, rubbish.....and the brakes.....my god, the brakes!!!

I've only had one Corrado, so not sure yet if I will come back to it. But MK1 and 2 Golfs, no chance :D

Tbf the heaters aren't that bad when they work. And my car currently has g60 brakes so stops pretty well.

I've owned over 30 cars now, including 2 Corrados and I'm ready for another Corrado now. :)

The only other cars I've owned more than once are MKIV Supras (3), 200sx's (3), Capris (2) and Golfs (2).

The one thing thats always bugged me is me !! I get to attached and then get bored and think ill sell it and and try something new but then i look at it and think its too good to sell on incase i make a mistake and sell a good sound car , no rust no mechanical problems and all the stuff i have done to it for a car that seems right at the time but turns out to be a bag of nails

Id love an old beetle , an already "done" one with a narrow beam and all that or a jap car , id love a teg but i just can seem to take the plunge so just carry on loving the corrado

I can see why so many of you have been on here so many years lol

quite a few have summed up why ive stayed put so many times, its an older car but doesnt drive like, or really have the needs of one if well maintained.

ive never spent much money on stuff that i didnt want to, and each time ive managed to uprate at the same time as replacing so its been worthwhile [exhausts/suspension/brakes etc]

The only things i really miss from when i had a new company car are air con with quick windscreen demisting! and the fuel card!

Now I have a new daily (mk6 GTI) I get into the Corrado and it feels old. New cars have moved on so far that they are simply more comfortable and easy to drive. But 10 minutes down the road in the Corrado and I'm grinning like a nutter again. It just feels different to everything else. I suspect a mk1 would just feel like an old Golf once the go-kartness has worn off.

My first ever car was a mk1 1.3 Driver and I'd dearly love a good condition mk1 GTI. I've always loved my Golfs but never onwed a mk1 in GTI guise. However I think the Corrado is about as old as I'd like to go now. It's still new enough to be reliable and not need too much work, but old enough to be rare and a modern classic.

Never really had the urge to get another car since getting the Corrado. I rarely drive anything else except the wifes Zsara Picasso when I'm moving bulky things. Having said that I did miss my Polo 1.3 Formel E with Auto Stop/Start. The look on folks faces when you told them the engine was voice controlled was priceless. Pull up, slip it into neutral and say "Engine Stop" and it did, then into gear and say "Engine Start" and away it would go. OK a bit childish but I liked it.

Tbf the heaters aren't that bad when they work. And my car currently has g60 brakes so stops pretty well.

The one thing I did like about the MK1 heaters is you could have hot and cold air at the same time, but for some reason, my heater never really got hot. The MK2's heater is like a furnace by comparison.

I also had G60 brakes, an Autocavan upgraded cross linkage, bulkhead strengthening plate, rear disc conversion etc but they were never really that good imo. This was back in 1996 though, so maybe the parts have improved since then.

I'm sure my mk2 Scirocco had that hot/cold thing with the heaters. HOt air to the middle vents but cold to the outer vents... or was mine simply broked?

I sold up on a number of occasions over the 11 years I owned various rados, and ended up coming back to them again and again. Although I don't own one now, and have no plans to buy one, I still love the rare occasion I see one on the road and I pop on here for a look. The last one 'I' had was actually my wifes and she really felt attached to it even though we only had it for a couple of years, until it was smashed up! Having done so many miles in them (holidays around Europe, wedding car, etc etc) we'll both always be fond of them but I'd be shocked if we ever have another for numerous reasons, I think it's finally out of our system :lol: