apeks

My New VR6 - Updated :)

Just purchased this VR6, seems to be a really nice example.

Wondered if the previous owner had a build thread on here, anyone seen it before?

Everything on the car, except for the coolant gauge is working, I'm replacing the yellow and blue thermostat sensors to see if that fixes it.

Has had a top end rebuild and overhaul, inside is mint. Will post more pics and full spec later.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69776[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69777[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69778[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69779[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69780[/ATTACH]

Pics taken with phone, so quality isn't great will get some on my SLR in the coming days.

Edited by apeks

Welcome along , as above looks like a very nice car , be carefull with the mask , they can do more harm than good .

Cheers for all your replies. I will post the spec and some proper pics at the weekend.

Had a little free time so managed to replace the two sensors and fix the coolant temp gauge.

old sensors:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69809[/ATTACH]

Went on abit of a shopping spree today, thought I'd treat her to an oil change and clean up at the weekend.

TPS were selling a 20L drum of 10w40 for 28 quid! Bargain! Also an aluminium sheet to go round the K&N filter to help reduce heat soak.

Gonna flush the cooling system as it currently has some non vw coolant and I like the pink stuff !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69811[/ATTACH]

Was pretty impressed with the mpg the MAF was showing after a 15 minute journey home from work, country roads.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69810[/ATTACH]

And to the person who asked what wheels they are. Previous owner said they were Porsche replicas, they have been freshly refurbed. I like them to be honest, but I might have them done in a lighter colour after the winter, I've never been a fan of dark coloured wheels.

Jesse

Love the wheels but not the colour of them. Agree they should be lighter. Apart from that it looks like you've got steamed right in. Welcome along.

Cheers for all your replies. I will post the spec and some proper pics at the weekend.

Had a little free time so managed to replace the two sensors and fix the coolant temp gauge.

old sensors:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69809[/ATTACH]

Went on abit of a shopping spree today, thought I'd treat her to an oil change and clean up at the weekend.

TPS were selling a 20L drum of 10w40 for 28 quid! Bargain! Also an aluminium sheet to go round the K&N filter to help reduce heat soak.

Gonna flush the cooling system as it currently has some non vw coolant and I like the pink stuff !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69811[/ATTACH]

Was pretty impressed with the mpg the MAF was showing after a 15 minute journey home from work, country roads.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69810[/ATTACH]

And to the person who asked what wheels they are. Previous owner said they were Porsche replicas, they have been freshly refurbed. I like them to be honest, but I might have them done in a lighter colour after the winter, I've never been a fan of dark coloured wheels.

Jesse

I always found her to be particularly good on fuel, coaxing over 40mpg was always easy on a long run (but she had a stock air box back then)

Been busy with work so not had much time. Got a few pics today:

P1030606.jpg

P1030609.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

P1030611.jpg

P1030600.jpg

P1030597.jpg

P1030605.jpg

P1030610.jpg

P1030603.jpg

Although I'm still learning about these cars, the spec I know of is as follows:

1993 Corrado VR6

Original Engine 2.9 110k (top end rebuild 2k ago with new head, timing chain etc)

New bushes, brake pipes, suspension front/rear. Lots of stuff renewed.

SS Exhaust system

17" alloys (replicas I believe not sure what they are) wrapped in Nankangs currently

K&N Induction kit with SS heat guard

40mm lowering springs

2 strut braces on the front

Front brake upgrade off a mk3 golf

Pioneer Headunit with a JBL amp + 6x9s

Momo Steering wheel

Gauge pod with oil pressure / voltage

Thatcham Immobiliser/Alarm

Been using it daily for the past week. Coolant temperature has been a slight niggle, as it seems to settle at 80 when cruising and sometimes slightly below, however oil temp seems fine in the mid 90s+

Fuel wise seems to be delivering on average around 25-30mpg on general town / country road journeys. I think it might be running a little rich, going to inspect the plugs sometime next week. Also, the car has cut-out twice whilst driving in town at about 30. Complete engine cutout! battery light + oil light appears and power steering etc goes. On both occasion I was able to instantly depress clutch and restart. I've had it on vag com and I'm getting no codes, so abit confused. Thinking crankshaft related, or dodgy wiring.

So far I've changed the blue and black stat sensors and flushed/replaced the coolant with G13. Oil/filter change with 10w40 quantum semi synth, Cleaned/Oiled K&N, cleaned leather up with Autoglym balm

I have plans to redo the ICE, never been keen on 6x9s, all the sound coming from the back and abit 'showy' when I open the boot. I'll probably opt for a component system. Also undecided on the nankangs, no previous experience with them, but usually opt for a pricier tyre. I'm reserving my judgement on them for now, but may go down the yoko/toyo/conti route soon. Have a BMC CDA in the garage I used to have on my GTI, may try that out to see if there are any gains over the K&N.

Car is getting RR'ded on 18th of November so looking forward to seeing how many horses shes lost (or gained :D)

Jesse

Edited by apeks
more pics

Had the car over at AmD Essex today and on the rollers.

made 200.1 bhp :) Pretty good I think considering the few mods. Gaining horses rather than losing them :p

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70592[/ATTACH]

That's a clean example you got there.

Also, the car has cut-out twice whilst driving in town at about 30. Complete engine cutout!

I had this happen to me a couple of times in my 2.0 Valver - I didn't realise at the time but my hall sender was on it's way out. It cut out a 3rd time and after that just wouldn't start again! New distributor fitted (with new hall sender inside) sorted the problem. Worth checking at least.

Been a long time since I updated this. The rado is still going strong. Some fresh oil and a few updates here and there and shes back on the road. Was considering a R32 engine or upgrade, but pulling so strong it wouldn't be fair!

Some quick phone snaps. New wheels are BBS CS5.

IMG_4053_zpsed46cde1.jpg

IMG_4054_zps7d651931.jpg

IMG_4055_zpsfe26f3d2.jpg

IMG_4031_zps4500c7fb.jpg

IMG_4033_zpsbc993e6b.jpg

Edited by apeks

Very nice, funny thing is, I've been looking for pics of a Corrado on these alloys!

Couldn't find a single pic until now :lol:

Are they the semi-anthracite version, or fully silver?

Very nice, funny thing is, I've been looking for pics of a Corrado on these alloys!

Couldn't find a single pic until now :lol:

Are they the semi-anthracite version, or fully silver?

These are the semi anthracite. I've been running them for a while now and really think they suit it. I originally ordered the straight silver as pictured below, but the finish on 2 of them was different (noticeable less shiny), so BBS upgraded to the two tone foc.

580442_1020090509sa_zps45ce966a.jpg

Around the £650 mark now, decent price for a hq set of bbs rims.

think the old wheels look like Porsche twists....nice example here, its amazing how 'clean' can make such a big impact