jamiehamy

Why does nobody love me?

I remember being offered this Corrado years ago for not very much money. Since then, it's been for sale every year since I think! Does anyone know this car? Why does no-one love it?

(10 previous owners, poor thing!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-L-VOLKSWAGEN-CORRADO-VR6-GREEN-/190746818353?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c69657731#ht_856wt_1204

---------- Post added at 1:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Although missing pass door handle, knackered seatbelt anchor and hole in the front indicator plus early grill and indicator/fogs don't bode well for it.

Did very early VR6s have this spec? From memory this has a dizzy.

I was going to say it's because you smell. But you're talking about the car.

The earlier VR's got the dizzy rather than coilpack but the spec should be virtually identical. If it had the slidey heater controls (rather than rotary) it would have a few other bits that were different.

One of my bugbears is people listing a fault as cheap and easy to fix, but don't bother fixing it themselves..... then say "No timewasters".

I think I can trump that with "genuine reason for sale". Of course there's a f**king genuine reason, you don't want it any longer. Maybe they originally drafted the advert with something like "Dishonest reason for sale ... the back half is a Ford Cortina", but figured it might put people off.

"Dishonest reason for sale ... the back half is a Ford Cortina"

I dunno, you'd probably get some takers for a cut and shut like that.

Something just doesn't sit right with me on this car, its a VR6 with what looks like early interior, early front bumper and I want to say one of the front arches look like an early as well. Then he has a 7 slat grille which doesn't fit the late slam panel so hes either hacked the grill apart or its an early slam panel in which case it suggests a front end smash...

Then as Kev says, if its such a cheap fix then why not fix it, especially seeing as its literally the first part of the car you touch to get into the thing! Not exactly a good first impression, "heres the car but you can't get into it because the handle is bust"

Edit: also is that an early headlight switch in there? Looks a right mongrel!

Edited by swiftkid

Looks in better nick than mine was when I bought it... (loving the 'subtle upgrades' including Speedlines though, and the free unpronouncable personalised plate :lol:) It's even missing the driver's door handle like mine was!

Must be a proper stinker underneath or someone would have kept it by now though, surely?

Stone

Something just doesn't sit right with me on this car, its a VR6 with what looks like early interior, early front bumper and I want to say one of the front arches look like an early as well. Then he has a 7 slat grille which doesn't fit the late slam panel so hes either hacked the grill apart or its an early slam panel in which case it suggests a front end smash...

Edit: also is that an early headlight switch in there? Looks a right mongrel!

Everything I was thinking looking at it lol!

Could possibly make a good car for somebody with a little time and effort. Obviously things need checked out physically first though!

Bad points ; every 18 year old car has them : Rust.

Erm no they dont, its called hard work it gets rid of rust.

1) Get an old car

2) Dont do any work on it.

3) It gets rusty.

OR

1) Get an old car.

2) Spend lots of time and money keeping it nice.

3) It stays nice.

Any car you sell which has work that needs doing, is only advertising the fact that you cant be bothered.

Edited by daleyboy

1) Get an old car

3) It gets rusty.

OR

1) Get an old car.

3) It stays nice.

Any car you sell which has work that needs doing, is only advertising the fact that you cant be bothered.

That's a little harsh - I think most Corrado owners have cars that need work doing on them - I have a massive List Of Things To Do on mine and keep chipping away at it most weekends, but then it keeps growing as well.

I agree a touch harsh.

Mine is very well cared for, had huge amounts of money spent on it, generally wants for nothing.

Very reguarly cleaned and occassionaly pampered.

Not concours by any means - and has rust, tiny little bits, but it has it.

I am assured by a well respected local bodyshop, no matter how much you treat the rust, it will always come back too

I am assured by a well respected local bodyshop, no matter how much you treat the rust, it will always come back too

It does indeed, but if you keep on top of it, it doesn't usually spread. Just means you have to retreat the patches annually!

Wendy you're right about the rust the only way is to cut it out and weld in new metal as I found out on my Mk1 Golf resto

I went to view this car a couple of years ago and was offered it for £800 but I just felt something wasn't right. If I remember correctly, the slam panel was red on it. Just looked like it got no care from day one!

1) Get an old car

3) It gets rusty.

OR

1) Get an old car.

3) It stays nice.

Spot on

Mmm i seem to have divided opinion, my point is in the last line, that when you come to sell a car any imperfections are just telling people you havent got round to fixing it.

Yes my car has a very small amount of rust, but i have treated it, and every three years treat it again so it doesnt spread. What the advert makes it sound like is that there is untreated rust which he has done nothing about, thats how i read it anyway.

Edited by daleyboy

We could all chip in £50 and have it as the Forum car. Like the ugly cats at the rescue home no-one wants...lol Whatever needs done, we all donate a part each and when it's finished, sell it and give the money to charity :)

Maybe not this car, but something really cheap but special!

Can we try and destroy it like Clarkson did with the 911? Just for kicks? All who pay the 5 sheets get a go.

And can we do it in front of the CCGB stand at the next show?

0.jpg

Can we try and destroy it like Clarkson did with the 911? Just for kicks? All who pay the 5 sheets get a go.

And can we do it in front of the CCGB stand at the next show?

0.jpg

Kevin - Behave !!! :D

Gone, poor lamb. I don't know why I felt so sorry for this car. It's like a wee orphan, being passed from foster carer to foster carer.