st4stokie

Rear plinth removal!!!!!

Could anyone tell me how to remove the rear number plate plinth without damaging it. Its making an awful cracking noise if i try to pry it off :censored:

The bottom edge is held on with double sided tape, I used plenty of hot water to soften it whilst working it back and forward. Just be careful how much leverage you use as it can break. You've got to be really patient with it.

Could you get some fishing wire behind it?

Thats not a bad idea. Btw hows your petrol powered diesel passat?

Thats not a bad idea. Btw hows your petrol powered diesel passat?

:lol: didnt realise you were on ukpassats forum Dave, whats your user name???

The car is fine, all working fine now ;-) bit of a foolish error, but glad a) i didnt wreck the engine/fuel system and b) didnt have to fork out £150-£200 to get the tank syphoned. Thanks for asking. :)

Its a nightmare to get the plinth off, i really struggled with that one. Heat gun melted it, i ended up snapping it off and replacing it

Just an FYI, there are 4 10mm plastic nuts at the top you take off first, then take plenty of time, bit of hot water/heat gun, knife/fishing wire or similar and slowly pry off. Be VERY careful though, not too much force as the sides start to crack first.

Would it be possible to get some plinths made up. They're only plastic and im sure a company who deals in plastic and plastic forming could make a batch of these up?