Critical_Mass

Modern car headlights... is it just me?

Well seen as we're now discussing idiotic drivers in general i had a cracker yesterday. Went to take the dog out for a good walk with the GF. On the way back we headed down a road that was closed but allowed access. Me and another car was driving along, got to a blind corner to be confronted with a Audi A3 on the wrong side of the road (double white lines also), driven by a daft bint. She was only a couple of feet from hitting me. I was doing about 40 she prob was doing the same. I went ape shoite...

I can only imagine she thought she had the road to herself and was cutting corners. What a stupid c0w

Unfortunately I seem to be an offender. Just recently picked up a Mk5 R32 fitted with these xenon headlight jobbies and Im getting sick of people flashing me. At first I thought there was a problem with the aim, so I popped into the local MOT centre to have them checked on the machine. They said they were spot on, no probs. Yet still I get rear fog light flashes, full beam flashes and the occaisonal w***er sign...

I don't mean to be a nuisance!:shrug:

After selling my Corrado and getting back up to a normal height again, I've noticed any blinding lights.

The low ride height of the Corrado with aftermarket suspension certainly doesn't help in that respect. It's certainly less of an issue in my Octavia!

Half the problem is thast those with Xenons never clean them or appear never to be clean. When they are dirty, they scatter the light more than with clean lenses, making it more blinding than otherwise would have been.

I'm the same. Can't see **** at night due to other headlights. Ill need to uae fricking sunglasses at this rate.

Not a massive issue for me, but then I do most of my night driving around town where the darkness/light intensity isn't so great (if that makes sense?).

I have noticed there seem to be a lot of cars with genuinely mis-aligned headlights. And I do get an eyeful of searing white light when being followed over speed bumps by something big and wielding xenons.

About fog lights... I dont' see quite so many people who use them when not needed any more, but it's gone the other way now and very few people use them when it's pea-soup!

It's not just you, I get my night vision wiped out all the time by this lot :(

Actually what's worse at the moment is people not understanding how to use their lights correctly - I have a 20 mile commute and see 4-5 offenders every day with

- headlights off completely

- sidelights only

- sidelights and foglights only

- headlights off, foglights and daytime running lights on

Also 10 or so failed bulbs each trip, mixture of brake lights, tail lights and quite a few headlights. My least favourite is 'ooh, it's a bit dim [headlight bulb gone] so I'll put the fogs on, that'll sort it!' :brickwall:

Yes, the C isn't a tall car by any stretch (and mine's lowered to boot) but the height and amount of light coming off some new cars is ridiculous. SUVs are generally the worst offenders, some are so wide you get one headlight in each wing mirror while they're tailgating you and you can't see a thing!

Stone

Im always getting dazzled by headlights, even if they're not on full beam, meeting a car coming down a hill they'll still shine right in your eyes, crap set up I say.

Army driving trick is to close one eye (your right eye if you're driving on the left).

I find it helps concentrate a bit better, reducing the dazzle.

Obviously open it again once the car has passed ;)

Lol, I have an excellent mental image now of the guys from this forum all driving around with one eye shut - perhaps we should organise CF eyepatches with a flip up hinge on them....?

Army driving trick is to close one eye (your right eye if you're driving on the left).

I find it helps concentrate a bit better, reducing the dazzle.

You mean we should drive with our eyes open?????

Lol, I have an excellent mental image now of the guys from this forum all driving around with one eye shut - perhaps we should organise CF eyepatches with a flip up hinge on them....?

:lol:

It'd have to be a flip down piece for those of us that wear glasses, like half of those clip on sunglasses you can get :lol:

and cheers for the links Tempest. I can have a moan on there now too :)