Oldtax

Oil temp reads 96c

Anything around 100c for oil is perfect, as long as the water temp gauge gets to the half way point (and stays there) in around 10 mins in this weather it's all good!

VR6 - you've got it in for me! :?:

i didnt expect it to be that hot to be honest - so i thought id check. regrets? iv had a few!

thanks chaps, most helpful

I've had up to 142 when the cooling system was suffering (that was shortly before my fans seized solid and caught fire, mind...)

Normal for mine is 102-110, up to 120odd if I'm really moving along. Planning to fit an external oil cooler next year which should improve things a little - and take some strain off the coolant system - but 96 is perfectly healthy!

Stone

Hilarious!

found this on yahoo: Engine oils are commonly based on something like a 500 SN paraffinic base oil, and boiling would start at around 300°C, although autoignition would occur above about 400°C. Flash point will be lower, typically around the 280°C mark, although that will not be relevant unless there is a source of ignition present.

so looks like you shoulda kept your foot down Supercharged!

VR6 - you've got it in for me! :?:

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean I'm not out to get you :lol:

every reply i have from you is negative. i dont know wot i did to u but you should probably give me ur car by way of apology. :norty:

paranoid! HA! ... seriously though - did someone tell you that? i think people have been saying that about me. r u one of those people? did you steal my meds?

WHERE R MY MEDS?

i think i live near u :onfire:

every reply i have from you is negative. i dont know wot i did to u but you should probably give me ur car by way of apology. :norty:

paranoid! HA! ... seriously though - did someone tell you that? i think people have been saying that about me. r u one of those people? did you steal my meds?

WHERE R MY MEDS?

:lol:

WHERE R MY MEDS?

Forum, my alter ego.

Alter ego, meet the forum.

My golf3 got to 160, which is actually the upper limit of the oil temp sensor. The engine didn't survive on that either. Was on the A38 at the time, and my water temp shot up. I'd replaced the rad about a month before, and had only done town driving until then so thought it may be an air lock. Topped it up with water, waited a little while for it to cool, then went on my merry way again. A couple of miles down the road, it did the same. I didn't think to check the oil temp for some stupid reason the first time, but I checked it this time, and it was there! After shutting down, and topping up again once oil temps came right down, it wouldn't start. Crank sensor insulation had cracked away. Turned out the oil cooler had died, and HG had also given way. New lump was only £85 delivered though, and had less milage! :lol:

I saw about 128 when I took my 16v out on the track once and nothing blew up thankfully... :)

Don't complain, 96 is good. A VR will be anything between 88 and 112, with most sitting around 100, my average is 104.