Oldtax

Haters!!!

As other people have said, can't say I've noticed any specific 'hatred' or vitriol towards me when I'm in the Corrado - just the normal level of impatience, ignorance of road rules and intolerance. I'm pretty sure most people don't really know what it is enough to feel 'threatened' by it. I get the odd racer (don't bite) but that to me is a sign of idiotic respect more than anything else. To be honest, I got a lot more attention - both chufties and from racers - in the MK2 than I ever get in the Corrado.

Hmmm, that's a funny one. I don't think that I ever met someone who is envying the Corrado. Well, apart from a very few, but they said it with a smile.

I keep my car spotless, so i obviously look after it, the point i made about people seeing something you care about and being jealous, is in my experience true.

There is an older lady where i work who puts down my car/hobby at every opportunity, she obviously has nothing in her life that she is proud of, so rather than being happy for me, she shows one of the worst human traits - jealousy.

Driving on the road is getting more and more like a free for all, where idiots express themselves in a negative way, and decent people are friendly, it seems to be an adult (or not so adult) version of a playground.

My old Headteacher (left in the summer- thank the lord!), used to do the same. Used to laugh at me on the rare occasion the conversation in the staffroom turned to cars. Used to be in a 'how sad' condescending kind of way. She used to always say 'A car is just to get you from A to B' etc. She got a speeding ticket in her daughter's 1.6 Mini One, saying she couldn't believe how fast it was. I told her she'd be in Jail if she ever drove mine, as it's a 2.9- she looked a little shocked :lol:

Usually just get compliments though. That said, have had the odd chav cutting me up, tail-gating etc etc. Even had someone in chavmobile drive up beside me in traffic and deliberately flick a lighted fag onto my bonnet after I'd slaugtered him in a traffic light grand prix :lol: Also remember a really stroppy Integra driver (who had been driving like a loon, tailgating everything out of the way, undertaking etc) refusing to move over and throwing rubbish out of his window at me- he was so frustrated that he couldn't get away at all. Both of those were ages ago though.

Good stuff from Mr Redfox there. He speaks better English than a lot of British forum users. Not so much on here but sm ppl jus sound snd fick as schiit innit! Trying to understand the motives behind some morons actions can be useful for the next time you see the same behaviour. Or at least pausing for thought can chill you out before you react rashly.

I only really notice tailgating more in the Corrado than the Volvo but when I get back in the Volvo (a tatty old thing that happens to be really fast) after a while I realise people are so much nicer to me. Or maybe they're just trying to get out the way!

Glad to hear you behave yourself now Andy, can't believe that any one would flick a fag butt onto your bonnet I would want to kill the s**t

Have to agree about the 308!

Mostly I tend to get compliments when I'm out and about (Although I'm sick of hearing 'nice Scirocco' lol) but I get the same as far as people driving on my bumper too, Never had a car where people follow so closely for whatever reason.

Really weird! People must look at it and think, old 90's sports car, supercharged badge, get ya foot down or sommet?

lol, just noticed this thread today strangely, as well as insuring+taking my corrado out for a spin. within 2 miles i had a *modern ****ter* following way to close!!!! anyway, whilst on the phone to the insurance company, the man did tell me my premium would be going slightly up because corrados "look sporty and worth strealing"!!!! quite a high percentage get stolen apparently, think he said 1 in 6 rather than 1 in 10 like most cars.... quite simply, i agree with others...jelousy!!! dont worry about it, save the petrol and dont react!!!

Glad to hear you behave yourself now Andy, can't believe that any one would flick a fag butt onto your bonnet I would want to kill the s**t

Try to behave myself nowadays- difficult when following you though :lol:

I couldn't believe it either- was absolutely fuming, but it was in traffic so couldn't do anything. Probably for the best!

I'll have to see what happens when if finally get one (should be soon)

I think the "its a banger because its an L reg" is very true. I don't understand people who get daft Hire purcahse loans to buy the latest BMW or Merc.

I'm sure I see more Mercs round the West Midlands than I do Ford Mondeo's! Not exactly exclusive anymore. I'd much rather be driving something with a bit more character anyway.

I would ignore them, not worth risking an accident or incident.

Oh yeah, no point in getting injured in any way. I gave all that up at college.

I wouldnt buy a merc or BM new nowadays. Not because of the build or engineering tho. Its becuase they are common as muck - to quote a phrase. Not that i care if friends have one - as long as they are happy and dont drive like t*ssers. which some do! I also wouldnt buy a new audi ... yeah, i said it. But what do these cars have in common? Retina burning headlights and nobby drivers. i ca be rude when i'm sat behind a keyboard.

But there is a silver lining ... I was in Brighton the other day and my wife stopped at a T junction so i could leg it out and grab my phone out the boot. Just as i was closing the boot a guy in his late 30's/early 40's walked past and said these words: "Volkswagon Corrado, what a classic. Brilliant". I, of course had pride laced thru my veins and kept it cool (whilst beaming) and said, "I know, beautiful isnt she?" (sounding more grateful than arrogant). He replied, "oh yeah. Blackberry, nice (NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING IN BRIGHTON!). 16 valve too - best one of the lot."

I didnt have the heart to correct him on that last point!

Because no other car existed but me and my corrado in that moment.

needless to say, on the 20min drive home i had what i can only describe as a 'Corrado Bona'. hmmmmm :elephant: :awesome:

And I think that was exactly what the gentleman who started this thread wanted anyway... ;)

About the mercedes, audi and bmw's, I share your point of view. Way too many to be interesting, and many are fast ones, but that does not make them a rare sportscar. No amount of money can do that.

I think many old much more simple cars are more interesting that those mentioned above. Take for example a citroën mehari. Believe it or not, but I think it was made all the way up to 1988 - the year of the Corrado. Probably an outright dangerous car to drive, but great fun ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

When mines on the road it's always turning heads, whether they're mouthing expletives at me I choose just to ignore. lol

Can't be all bad - a chap in his mid 30's run over to my car yesterday while I was stuck in traffic. First thing he said to me was "how much!?". He then went on to say that he's seen a few around the area but mine was by far the best he's seen. Think this probably deserves a spot in the chufties section too... ;)

Sounds like paranoia because you have acquired a car that is precious to you.

People are probably still driving as selfishly and agressively as they normally do - it's just that your senses have been heightened and are imagining things are worse.

Or maybe you are sporting some pretentious "go faster" crap?

Keep a low profile if you want to be ignored.

The more material possesions - above the basic needs - we have, the more problems and worries we have.

In a Citroen Dyane or a 1.0 Corsa - other drivers will not perceive you as a threat or competitor and you can mostly chill out.

Well, you can until that juggernaut behind you thinks you are deliberately going slow!

It's an increasingly cruel world and I sense people are less tolerant of each other with every passing week.

I blame rock 'n' roll - but I like it.

I have just had three chufftie's since my last post 1. Was a customer who turns out to be a neighbour he prefers the c to a mint Quattro and a Morgan that a chap owns down the road.

2. A member of staff , tell me that's not yours I so want one he says, 2am only car in the car park so a bit obvious who's it is, but all the mas Chufftie

3.pulled up afterward to get a burger from the bab van to have a slightly drunk lad proclaim " that's a serious bad man's car that corrado is wicked " had a chat with him about it and turned out he wasn't as cut as I first thought just really was quite excited at the site of a corrado.

The love is still out there I guess it's just not to every ones taste as some lad once told me it was an ugly car which I can understand if you like plastic fantasic which dubs generally aint.

I have just had three chufftie's since my last post 1. Was a customer who turns out to be a neighbour he prefers the c to a mint Quattro and a Morgan that a chap owns down the road.

2. A member of staff , tell me that's not yours I so want one he says, 2am only car in the car park so a bit obvious who's it is, but all the mas Chufftie

3.pulled up afterward to get a burger from the bab van to have a slightly drunk lad proclaim " that's a serious bad man's car that corrado is wicked " had a chat with him about it and turned out he wasn't as cut as I first thought just really was quite excited at the site of a corrado.

The love is still out there I guess it's just not to every ones taste as some lad once told me it was an ugly car which I can understand if you like plastic fantasic which dubs generally aint.

Mate mine is sat in my mate's unit and he has told me to hurry up and get it out of there because he is fed up with everyone who turn's up asking what's that (it's under a cover) when he say's it's a corrado they're like "let's see it" the first couple of times he done it but now he is fed up with it cos when he show's them it he can't get rid of them when he is supposed to be working there is still plenty of love out there for the C.:luvlove: