Jim Hughes

What to do next?

Hi folks,

Two weeks ago I was involved in an accident in my Corrado of the last 13 years, it was my first accident in 22 years of driving so I'm a bit new to this!

I have not mucked about and I've replaced it with a very nice example (Corrado) which I was lucky to find local to myself.

The insurance assessor has been to look at my crashed car (it's on my drive) but I was not in when he made his visit, it cannot be anything other than a total loss, it's a J plate with fairly extensive front end damage - bumber, front panel, lights bonnet, wing.

My Insurance company's Accident Management firm have written to me and informed me the other party have admitted liabillity for the accident.

Various people have informed me that I will get an opportunity on the salvage and I'm fairly sure I was told this when I took out the policy.

I was thinking someone on here may have been in a similar position? if I do get the chance to buy it back is it worth putting on e bay as a whole car? or strip it for parts?

Thanks in advance Jim

I would deffinetly buy it back and break it. You can keep any spares you can use for your new Corrado and eBay the rest.

buy it back and sell on parts if you have a time do to it. You will get a lot money back and you can keep all the spares you need.

My c was written off 2 month ago , the inspector came and looked around it and then within a few days I received a letter explaining it was a total loss . I then received a letter from the insurance confirming this along with a phone call explaining the settlement . I got £2000 less my excess and they asked if I wanted to buy the car back at salvage £270 they quoted . I declined as I have no time to break a car . I took off certain items to sell before the salvage firm collected and made me excess back by selling on here. It was 2 my first ever accident , the claim was sorted in about 3 weeks .

Most insurance companies will give you the oppurtunity to buy the car back where possible, after all it means they have to give you less money and they have not got to worry about disposing of your smashed up car!

Personally I would buy it back and strip it for parts - you are likely to make more than the salvage cost or than selling as a whole. It just depens if you have the time / space etc.

Many thanks to replies and advice.

Obviously I'll have to wait to see what the insurance company offers, If I do decide to break is there anything I should especially look to keep for myself?

I know indicators/lights etc are rare and I'll be able to save the drivers side units.

I'm starting to think not much else is going to be worth hanging onto? my new C is an 'L' plate 09 engine as opposed to the old KR and the interior and switches/stalks are all different.

Of course I'll keep my repaired old door handles.

By write off do you mean cat c or d, or are you talking of cat b break only?

Cat c would need a vic check after being repaired, cat d could just be repaired and driven.

If you dont have the time then I would take the money the insurance are giving you, breaking a car and selling the bits will take you time,

plus it will be getting scrapped by the insurance company. If things went missing on it, then I am sure they would never notice : )

Spare engine sensors?

Interior trims?

"If things went missing on it, then I am sure they would never notice : )" I wouldn't bet on this I had a MK2 Golf which was written off some years back and I removed some small bits here and there and got a phone call telling me to put them back or they wouldn't pay out!!

Its been classed as a class C total loss, so repairable and I can buy it back.

The provisional price they value it at (as long as paperwork stands, MOT etc) minus the price they will deduct for me to hang on has made my mind up . I'll keep it and break it. The deduction on the payout price to keep is £170 - nobrainer.

If it was me (and the damage wasnt too bad) I would buy it back and then get another, ideally the same colour. Shelve the parts in the garage..

Guys luckily iv never been in this situation so iv never had to deal with insurance that way but whats the crack with you having to buy your car back? its your car! im guessing its there car if you agree and recieve the insurance payout though? and then you have the option to buy it back from them? this correct? cheers

ps if my corrado got front ended and the chassis wasnt effected i would source another wing,bonnet,bumper etc and keep it on the roads! replaceing a front end is stupidly easy to not do this

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Guys luckily iv never been in this situation so iv never had to deal with insurance that way but whats the crack with you having to buy your car back? its your car! im guessing its there car if you agree and recieve the insurance payout though? and then you have the option to buy it back from them? this correct? cheers

ps if my corrado got front ended and the chassis wasnt effected i would source another wing,bonnet,bumper etc and keep it on the roads! replaceing a front end is stupidly easy to not do this

VW Owner, I'm pretty new to this too..(my first accident)

But, the way I see it, once you've had a smash involving another party your vehicle becomes the property of your insurance company etc recovering losses even if it is on your own drive like mine!

I was informed if my car had been a 'cat A' total loss I could not buy it back..

In effect you are not buying it back, you are accepting a deduction from the total loss pay-out to dispose of yourself, I think it has to be a common sense move from the insurance loss adjusters who realise that their customers are sometimes better placed to 'recycle' a car on a Classic Car Policy!

I had thought my (old) car was repairable from the outset, but my new Rado is the bloody biz!

, yea i see what you mean but to me that just doesnt make sense, i.e im driving down the road and old man billy side swipes me then my car and his car automaticly becomes the property of our insurance companys? .

glad your loven the new raddo ;)

If I do decide to break is there anything I should especially look to keep for myself?

I know indicators/lights etc are rare and I'll be able to save the drivers side units.

Everything specific to a Corrado will be worth something to someone on here! You'll easily make more than £200 on bits. My hit list, in no particular order:

Instrument cluster screw covers

handbrake trim

dashboard centre console if it all clips together properly

any glass, especially rear quarter windows

rear bumper

rear numberplate plastic surround

spoiler + mech

Wing mirrors

any lights

carpets

rubber door trim and window scrapers

door cards

window mechs (especially if they're manual)

sunroof mech

roof trim rubbers

side mouldings

That's just the easy stuff, most of the running gear could probably find homes and even if panels are buckled / bent / dented they'd still be good for repair patches. Sills and floor pans always need doing...

Stone