daves16v

Battery charger recommendations

As titled I need a good battery charger that I can leave on charge for long periods while my VR is off the road for winter.

Cheers

Dave

The halfords advanced one is pretty good. Multi stage charging and then switches to maintenance charge once full. Can't remember price but i remember thinking it was reasonable.

I ve got the Ctek Multi xs 3600 it comes with an adadpter that stays connected to the battery ends so that you can connect the charger to this adapter so that you dont have to open the bonnect each time.

I ve got the Ctek Multi xs 3600 it comes with an adadpter that stays connected to the battery ends so that you can connect the charger to this adapter so that you dont have to open the bonnect each time.

Mine came with one of those. Where have you positioned the connector?

Think you might me able to poke it out of the front grill

That is the only place I can think of, but it would get caked in dirt, so I don't fancy putting it there.

What I usually do is run the cable out of the bonnet at the bottom of the windscreen, so the cable is protected by the rubber seals and the bonnet can be closed, and the car locked and alarmed.

I have my connection in the left front tow hook area. Drop the cover and just plug in.

But.... you will have to make sure it is splash proofed as water gets in there from the road or when washing. Not much.

Use a flat ended aerosol cap with a slot for the tow hook so it slide well home. Pierced the top with a hot wire and knotted a nylon string through the cap and tied it to the tow hook so it didn't fall off the Corrado every time I coupled up.

Also my connection has a cap over the two electrical pins to further stop water ingress.

That is the only place I can think of, but it would get caked in dirt, so I don't fancy putting it there.

What I usually do is run the cable out of the bonnet at the bottom of the windscreen, so the cable is protected by the rubber seals and the bonnet can be closed, and the car locked and alarmed.

I will try that route once I find my adapter. Seems to have gone missing!

---------- Post added at 4:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:01 PM ----------

I have my connection in the left front tow hook area. Drop the cover and just plug in.

But.... you will have to make sure it is splash proofed as water gets in there from the road or when washing. Not much.

Use a flat ended aerosol cap with a slot for the tow hook so it slide well home. Pierced the top with a hot wire and knotted a nylon string through the cap and tied it to the tow hook so it didn't fall off the Corrado every time I coupled up.

Also my connection has a cap over the two electrical pins to further stop water ingress.

Got any pic of your setup

Sounds like a good idea, I too would be interested to see photos if you have any.

would one of those solar cells plugged into the cigarette socket be any good? Just wondering if the wiring even allows for the battery to be trickle charged from there...

Seems the Ctek is popular & Halfords sell them, they look very small though or is the photo playing tricks on me?

---------- Post added at 6:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:42 PM ----------

Ah that's no good, they don't stock them, soonest I can get one is Jan 3rd. Any shops stock them for pick up?

Frost sell them,mail order, but are quick in delivery,I had a battery plugged in for two years on a trickle charge, did it no harm when I finally found a use for it

I have an Aldi (or Lidl.. don't remember) which is apparently a rebadged C-Tek charger and cost half the price. It works brilliantly and the handful of occasions I've nearly killed a battery from leaving it too long, it's always managed to revive it! Well worth it Dave!

Dave,

I have one of these & its served me very well: http://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/Battery-Conditioner.html

I know Kip, Jude & Pappa M have them also..... :thumbleft:

Don't forget me :wave: :wave: :wave: Got three, had them in use for 14 years now.

OK for those wanting to know.........

One or two things to note....

1) The charger wires are routed down from the battery to the bumper tow hook cover area in a small bore clear tubing to prevent chaffing of the wires.

2) The Airflow requires the wire length to be balanced to work properly. So I made up a length of wires the same size as the add-on extension that are supplied for the battery clips flylead and the direct battery connection flylead.

3) The socket clipped to the tow hook with a tie-wrap is filled with vaseline to prevent corrosion.

4) The back of the connecting charger plug is filled with silcon (as is the blanking connector when not use) to prevent water ingress.

5) The charger connection plug holds in place with a rocking clip finger. If the wire becomes strained for some reason or you accidentally drive away, the connection will delibrately break.

The white nylon connector and socket with pins/sockets is available at Maplin.

OK photos........................

Closed up

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71074[/ATTACH]

With Aerosol Cap (slotted) fitted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71073[/ATTACH]

Aerosol Cap removed, Blank Plug Cover in place.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71077[/ATTACH]

Socket ready to couple up the charger plug

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71076[/ATTACH]

Charger plugged in and rocking clip hold the connector and socket together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71075[/ATTACH]

Full view of the installation when charging

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71072[/ATTACH]

Edited by RW1

I think Motorists' Discount Centres stock the CTEK...must be one close to you...although find them online a bit cheaper.