dil

Obd1 >obd2

It's an excellent upgrade and defo well worth doing IMO. OBD2 ECU is a vast improvement. Engine's more lively & more responsive. Tricky bit is the re-wiring (unless you know your onions). Mechanicals is just swapping stuff. I think there's a guide knocking around, possibly in the Wiki and defo one on Corrado Canada.

You'll need:- ECU; engine loom; inlet manifold; throttle body & mass airflow sensor (MAF) from a Mk3 AAA (or equiv.). Can't just remember if you need the fuse box, too, but probably not. If you plan to keep the VW immobiliser (inadvisable) you'll also need the transponder & key.

The parts are often found as a kit for around £200-250 on forums or eBay. If you get them piecemeal I could do you an inlet.

Only downside is you lose MPG readout from the MFA. Often wondered if you could swap the MFA from the Golf to sort that out but never got around the finding out.

I still have MPG readout from the MFA? ;)

Hmmmm....

Mine does read out but it's always 99.99 LOL.

Did you do the conversion yourself? Maybe you've got the Golf MFA swapped, too?

That's curious....?!?!?!

I supplied the parts, Stealth did the OBD2 conversion for me, fitted 263s, a Schrick and did a re-map about 3 years ago. Up to then I had a valid set of readings including mpg from the MFA but it's only ever read 99.99mpg (whenever I've looked) since. When I queried it with Vince at the time I was told it was due to the mpg calcs being done differently in the cluster on the Mk3. I could have sworn that info was corroborated by the OBD2 swap thread on CCC but I just had a read thro' it and couldn't find any such reference.

Obviously, there should be a correct mpg display since the 2 of you have one and Stealth's explanation is clearly hogwash LOL. I must have an issue with info being transmitted to the MFA, I suppose, or maybe from Vince's remap and I'll look into it. There was a very common known fault with the Mk1 Golf MFA which similarly used to read 99.9mpg, which was its default value, permanently. It was often due to corrosion in the pins connecting the speedo and MFA.

Thanks for putting me straight. I had been in blissful ignorance, not really being too bothered about it, but I'm now intrigued to find the fault. If anyone has any ideas on that I'd be very glad to hear.

Apologies for the hijack.

On MK2 golfs the 99.9 thing happens when the pipe becomes disconnected from the vaccuum, either from the connection to the manifold or the connection to the back of the clocks snapping off.