Hofmiester

Ron's Blackberry VR6 - A11 VRX - Getting her back on the road

I wouldn't expect anything less from you Ron I can see this becoming a real show car in the next couple of years

Thanks chaps, she's ok for a 144k car ;) should have some time to get back on the case with it now the charity rally is done.

Need to get the VGI powder coated and running, got a BMC sorted, just need to fix my sunroof at it broke at Stanford hall :(

Had some time off this week so I thought I'd dig out the bargain Shrick VGI I bought and dismantle it, checking over before fitting. I bought this VGI on eBay advertised as incomplete. But the VGI itself seems to be spot on, no bits missing. I've managed to buy an RPM controller, solenoid and vac reservoir, so all ready to go.

As it was when I got it out of the box (original Shrick box) and dismantled.

[ATTACH]78962[/ATTACH]

Then I went on to degrease it, clean and paint it. Then I sanded and polished the SHRICK text to a polished finish.

[ATTACH]78963[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]78964[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]78965[/ATTACH]

Just waiting for some gaskets and then I should be ready to fit.

Going to rig the controller up tomorrow and check that works then it's all ready to roll. If you get a sec Mat, any chance you could photo graph the section you had to cut on your bonnet?

I think it being advertised as incomplete but then not saying what was missing, screwed the guys sale up. I managed to buy all the bits that we're missing for about £90. The key bits like the flapper and actuator were included and overall it looks very good, no visible wear to any of the parts.

It will be friday mate but yes i will do it for you mate , there could possibly be a pic in my car thread bit it would mean looking through the last pages to see if i did post , if you cant find it ill send over a pic on friday , you never know it might actually fit and not hit , make sure you check how close it is to the rad fans aswell mine is close as fook

Started fitting it on Thursday but only got so far before I realised that I'd bought the wrong lower manifold gasket (I had the one from the injection manifold to the head and not the next one up the chain. However it did give me a chance to investigate the cylinder head on my car as I have a receipt in the history at 105k miles from VW for a new cylinder head.

However in the notes on the invoice it says "cylinder head has notable differences to original, reused original cams"

Casting shows a date of 1998 for the head

[ATTACH]78998[/ATTACH]

Looks like it has a late golf vr6 cylinder head fitted by VW but with the 2.9 cams

[ATTACH]78999[/ATTACH]

Shrick should fit nicely

[ATTACH]79000[/ATTACH]

**** did you sort the bonnet ? Sorry dude , i might be at the garage in morning so will try and remember

I had a similar muck up with gaskets , i had a great argument with the vw dealer guy , lickily i know him a tad now but after arguing about it i then realised what i had do e and had to apologise haha o well

Managed to get the Shrick fitted on Friday and didn't need to cut the bonnet as we had lowered the engine 10mm for clearance on the Super charger, plus the Shrick has had a corner ground down in the past for clearance. Really glad as it made the whole fitting process much easier and no permanent alteration.

[ATTACH]79001[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]79002[/ATTACH]

Got a nice pic at sunset in the Lake District. Drives soooo much better with the VGI and the 15" solitudes.

[ATTACH]79003[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]79004[/ATTACH]

Solitudes look good, sort of like a blackberry storm :)

I'm sure the extra tyre profile makes the ride more compliant. Just had a flick through your thread, mines looked really similar on the rh zw1's

Yeah, the purists may not like them but I can't stand the Speedlines. Super Ugly in my view

Solitudes look good, sort of like a blackberry storm :)

I'm sure the extra tyre profile makes the ride more compliant. Just had a flick through your thread, mines looked really similar on the rh zw1's