science

OBD2 TB -> OBD1 manifold adapter plate

Disappointed at what was available off the shelf i decided to make this tapered jobby. I think it turned out rather well...[ATTACH]71499[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71500[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71501[/ATTACH]

impressive! What is the advantage of keeping the OBD1 manifold in an OBD2 setup?

I would be interested in one if you can make more of them

---------- Post added at 3:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:14 PM ----------

impressive! What is the advantage of keeping the OBD1 manifold in an OBD2 setup?

Only one advantage is when you have 2.9 obd1 manifold as it's slightly bigger than 2.8 one.

I would possibly be interested in one too if you decided you wanted to make more? What else needs doing to the obd2 besides the adaptor plate?

I would possibly be interested in one too if you decided you wanted to make more? What else needs doing to the obd2 besides the adaptor plate?

ecu, loom, tb, maf and few little bits.

Wish these had been around a year or so ago when I swapped to OBD2 and sold my Schrick.........looks like a nice piece of kit, good luck if you decide to make more of them!

I would be interested in one if you can make more of them

---------- Post added at 3:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:14 PM ----------

Only one advantage is when you have 2.9 obd1 manifold as it's slightly bigger than 2.8 one.

What part is bigger on the OBD1? Is the fact that the throttle body is bigger the only difference? I can't image VW would create separate tooling just for 100cc, maybe yes if the engine was half the size but surely not for such a small percentage increase in engine size?

Nice work on the adapter by the way.

Edited by daves16v

Dave it doesn't looks bigger but i was reading in the past that somebody test 2.8 and 2.9 manifolds in some way and it turned up that 2.9 manifold has bit bigger volume than 2.8.

its not a difference between obd1 and obd2 manifold, its only difference between obd1 2.8 and obd1 2.9 manifold. Similar to KR 50mm intake and 9A 42mm intake but not as much visible.

Edited by emu

from wikipedia

The Volkswagen Group VR6 engine was introduced in Europe by Volkswagen in 1991, in the Passat and Corrado; and in North America the following year. The Passat, Passat Variant (estate/wagon), and U.S.-specification Corrado used the original 2.8 litre design; the European-specification Corrado and the 4WD Passat Syncro received a 2.9-litre version with 140 kilowatts (190 PS; 188 bhp). This version also had a free flowing 6 centimetres (2.4 in) (2.5 in) catalytic converter, sharper camshafts, 4-bar (58 psi) fuel pressure regulator, enlarged inlet manifold, and larger throttle body.It was also sold to Mercedes Benz for use in their vans, and designated as M104.900.

from wikipedia

The Volkswagen Group VR6 engine was introduced in Europe by Volkswagen in 1991, in the Passat and Corrado; and in North America the following year. The Passat, Passat Variant (estate/wagon), and U.S.-specification Corrado used the original 2.8 litre design; the European-specification Corrado and the 4WD Passat Syncro received a 2.9-litre version with 140 kilowatts (190 PS; 188 bhp). This version also had a free flowing 6 centimetres (2.4 in) (2.5 in) catalytic converter, sharper camshafts, 4-bar (58 psi) fuel pressure regulator, enlarged inlet manifold, and larger throttle body.It was also sold to Mercedes Benz for use in their vans, and designated as M104.900.

Cheers for the info.

Thanks for the positive response!

Here's the difference between 2.8 & 2.9 manifolds (thanks to VWVortex)

[ATTACH]71503[/ATTACH]

More low end torque with the 2.8, better high end bhp with the 2.9

I may be able to make some more, once I've tested it.

It's should also thick enough to accommodate water/meth or nitrous nozzles easily and neatly.

i guess in the real world low end torque will be more beneficial, no? Of course you might be disappointed with a rolling road result, thats all!!

A less important issue is how does the 2.8 manifold affect the VR noise, from those who have converted to OBD2 already?

A less important issue is how does the 2.8 manifold affect the VR noise, from those who have converted to OBD2 already?

I lost some VR noise when converting to OBD2 and I think that's about the only downside from my point of view. I've now installed a Carbonio intake so that should restore some part of it.

i guess in the real world low end torque will be more beneficial, no? Of course you might be disappointed with a rolling road result, thats all!!

I currently have an AMD throttle body on the OBD1 manifold and really like how it drives. I'm also changing the lower gear ratios by a factor of 15%, and adding a lightened flywheel so it retain good throttle response and shouldn't be too shy of the torques. The main thing is I can try the two different manifolds now.

I'm not too worried about the noise, I must be getting old, 263 cams and a 6 branch subdue it somewhat already.