MikeVR6

Big End Bearings Gone Again! :(

What is it about Storms they must be cursed, my block on my VR is knackered beyond repair (Bored out to the oversized piston size but theres still damage to 2 of the bores) unless i go forged pistons which Stealth have advised me not to. So luckily they have a 2.8 block on the shelf that getting stripped down checked and sent to the machinist to get rebore to the oversized piston size. Bad luck these Storm models lol

^ I think it's just the 2.9 unit itself... VW were pushing the boundries and cooling is a major issue, especially in the Corrado - luckily the 2.8 is widely available

^ I think it's just the 2.9 unit itself... VW were pushing the boundries and cooling is a major issue, especially in the Corrado - luckily the 2.8 is widely available

Yeah i know 2.9 was pushing it a bit and i suppose its done 160K on the same block so a good innings really

You lot are clogging up Stealth's workshop with your dead / dying bloody Corrados! Vince can't fit me in until May because of it!

On the bright side, them being so busy gave me the shove to rebuild my head on my own! It started as a set of new cams and escalated :lol:

How did you get on with this presume its back in your hands now? Had mine back for a few months now and loving it

I asked Vince to work on it in slow time as I didn't need the car. It's my weekend toy. All being well she'll be done by the end of this month. I'll be sure to report back then.

I asked Vince to work on it in slow time as I didn't need the car. It's my weekend toy. All being well she'll be done by the end of this month. I'll be sure to report back then.

Cool fingers crossed everything goes alright this time

He found the root cause as well. When I had the engine rebuilt in Germany, they fitted valves that are slightly too long. So they were colliding with the piston at high revs. Already spoken to a Solicitor about making a claim against them.

He found the root cause as well. When I had the engine rebuilt in Germany, they fitted valves that are slightly too long. So they were colliding with the piston at high revs. Already spoken to a Solicitor about making a claim against them.

Not good hopefully you get some money from them.

Jeez, that's quite an oversight! Good luck with getting the compensation, I can't see how they could refuse.

Got the motor back. All I can say is WOW!

Being a VR6 it was always fairly quick. But now it's frightening. That's with Schimel 263 Cams, Woesner Pistons and Conrods, a rebore and of course the Vortech Stage 2 Supercharger with bigger injectors etc.

I have to keep the revs low until the, practically new, engine is run in and I can say that fuel economy is not that much different from before. That will change when I start driving it properly. I have to take it back to Vince for a remap once run in. Then we're done. Although I already have 312mm front brakes on the list of things to do as the standard 280's, whilst good, just don't give me the confidence an uprated setup would.

The engine itself is almost silent. A lot of noise from the pulleys for the charger etc. Especially since I have an aircon compressor in there too.

It's a monster! :)

Good result in the end Mike, did you get anything back of the German company?

Also which Vortech charger did you go with?

Still in legal process. They haven't a leg to stand on. Just takes time. At worst it will pay for a diff, brakes and a bit of paint on the front end. And that's her done. It's a Vortech V9 same as yours. Already impressed although it needs the remap to make the best of the mods. At the moment it hunts a bit sometimes when idling and occasionally stalls. Vince stuck a map from a similarly modded car onto it to get me going. How do you find the 288's stopping power?

good to see that it fits even with aircon - was it a custom belt used?

Wouldn't mind seeing some updated pics of the car inside and out Mike.

good to see that it fits even with aircon - was it a custom belt used?

Wouldn't mind seeing some updated pics of the car inside and out Mike.

Aye it came with a special belt. Which I need to source a spare for just incase.

I'll get some pics up when we have a bit of sunshine here and I have time to clean her.

Hi Mike,

Fingers crossed you'll get some of you cash back. Sounds like a bloody nightmare!

The hunting is more than likely casued by you not having a straight inlet track to your MAF. The Charger causes turbulence and this makes the idle choppy and prone to stalling.

I ran an 80mm tube from the charger to the passenger side (along the cross member) and mounted my MAF by the front engine mount and an airfilter in the corner of the passenger side bumper. My idle is now smoother than a standard VR6 and I have poly mounts......that is smooth!

288s are a lot better than 280s although I also did my hoses (steel braided) and upgraded the pads too. Pedal still travels a fair bit before they really bite. Some folks on here have said that is how they like them as the braking is progressive. Althought I drive a MK7 golf as my daily and when I get in the Corrado I always crap myself as it feels like the pedal drops 2" before any braking happens in comparisson ;)

Hi Mike,

Fingers crossed you'll get some of you cash back. Sounds like a bloody nightmare!

The hunting is more than likely casued by you not having a straight inlet track to your MAF. The Charger causes turbulence and this makes the idle choppy and prone to stalling.

I ran an 80mm tube from the charger to the passenger side (along the cross member) and mounted my MAF by the front engine mount and an airfilter in the corner of the passenger side bumper. My idle is now smoother than a standard VR6 and I have poly mounts......that is smooth!

288s are a lot better than 280s although I also did my hoses (steel braided) and upgraded the pads too. Pedal still travels a fair bit before they really bite. Some folks on here have said that is how they like them as the braking is progressive. Althought I drive a MK7 golf as my daily and when I get in the Corrado I always crap myself as it feels like the pedal drops 2" before any braking happens in comparisson ;)

Thanks. It'll all come to it's logical conclusion. In my favour. :)

Vince explained something similar to me and said they'd done some jiggery pokery to take care of that. We'll see how it runs after a custom map.

I've also had braided hoses, Mk4 rears and new disks/pads recently. I bought a set of 312's whilst the other work was going on. But they wouldn't fit with those wheels on. Now wheels is another topic altogether. I have a set of mint Speedlines and a set of mint Solitudes and a set of 16" BBS RD's. All are without tyres at the moment and I'm puzzling over which ones to fit.

These are the RD's. I like 16" rather than 15" or 17". But I would prefer to keep the Solitudes to be honest. I like to keep her looking relatively stock.

bbs_rd_zps4f1bb042.jpg

Edited by MikeVR6

A few pics of the Rado and my old Golf TDi. Which I miss dearly but had to go for a family wagon :(

Outwardly the Corrado hasn't changed.

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

I'm on the lookout for red or slightly smoked standard rear lights. The number plate holder came from the Corrado Forum visit to the Karmann Factory. Exhaust is obviously a shiny Jetex now.

IMG_2301.jpg

BBS Steering wheel has been replaced with a standard one retrimmed and stitched with purple/red thread to match the Storm theme. Headunit is now an Alpine 136BT DAB with Bluetooth hands free. Boost gauge in the Driver's vent. And the interior is clean!

IMG_2325.jpg

Enjoy the running in period mate bored me sh!t less but i know it needs doing. Great now i can rev past 3k revs

I would go with solitudes mate. On a Storm they are the only choice IMO.

Fitment with 288s has been a bit of a bugger for me. I had 16" BBS Monty IIs on and I really liked them. Looked good and light weight, also fitment was perfect.

However I never felt they looked "special"

I then put a set of RH cups on in 16" and had them done in Anthracite to set the Blackberry paint off. They look great (deep dish) but wont clear the 288s and so I'm running spacers and I dont really like doing that. Especially on a 250bhp+ car.

I would go with solitudes mate. On a Storm they are the only choice IMO.

I know I know. My heart says the same. But they're sooo wee!

Anyway I have to get winter tyres soon (compulsory in Germany) and I can use that as an excuse to fit the RD's and check clearances.

RH cups are lovely and I would have had them done in Anthracite too. These wheels I have on at the moment are running 5mm spacers on the back. They look great when they're clean but a PITA to keep that way. I take them off every few months and coat them in Wheel Wax. Plus they're reps, LM's never came in 16". They'll be up for sale soon.

Vince reckons the standard wheels are fine with 312's. Although I'll have a search of the Forum before I put rubber on whichever ones I choose.