Swompy

So whos been up Snowdon?

As above really.

For some silly reason I have agreed to walk up Snowdon with a couple of friends in a couple of weeks :bonk:

ive been a few times, only 25 minutes from me, you will enjoy it, which route are you taking

I think we are going up the PYG track.

I cant wait although I know its going to be hard work as I'm not the fittest of people.

We are going up on the friday, staying in a hotel and then walking on the saturday. :D

If I remember rightly, its been at least 10 years, that one is fairly short but ***** steep in places. Was good fun tho

Be prepared. And I mean it. Follow the advice of the guide books and take the right equipment - do NOT go up there in casual wear. I can't stress this enough.

As you may have read in The Sprinter, I drove two friends around the UK to do the Three Peaks Challenge culminating in Snowden. Despite it being the middle of summer the conditions were atrocious - my friends were well prepared and had walked Snowden several times and came back soaked through.

I'm not trying to be overly melodramatic but.. seriously.. pack the right kit.

I have done it a number of times including in the deep snow. The ranger track is the safest although quite a sharp climb in a short time. As Jim says, take the right kit. At this time of year, an ice axe and crampons are essential. The ice axe isn't used for climbing but to arrest if you fall.

I'm not taking it lightly jim that's for sure.

Got a decent set of walking boots, crampons, thermal leggings, water proof over trousers, decent coat (wind and rain proof) as well as hat, gloves and scarf/balaclava type thing.

Would take a ice axe with me but they are rather expensive!

I'm not taking it lightly jim that's for sure.

Got a decent set of walking boots, crampons, thermal leggings, water proof over trousers, decent coat (wind and rain proof) as well as hat, gloves and scarf/balaclava type thing.

Would take a ice axe with me but they are rather expensive!

What date are you going? I have a couple I could post to you if you want them and can give me them back over the summer at whichever show we both get to!

To be honest, the crampons are the most important bit, they should stop you from needing the ice axe! We did have a practice with the ice axes near the bottom on a steep slope, and it's amazing how quickly you accelerate on hard snow once you go onto your back!

If you dont fancy walking up you can take the train up aswell. There is a cafe at the peak too :)

If you dont fancy walking up you can take the train up aswell. There is a cafe at the peak too :)

The cafe is shut in the winter, or at least it was last time I went up, so take plenty of food. There are some cool Ravens at the top that you can share your sanwiches with too!

What date are you going? I have a couple I could post to you if you want them and can give me them back over the summer at whichever show we both get to!

To be honest, the crampons are the most important bit, they should stop you from needing the ice axe! We did have a practice with the ice axes near the bottom on a steep slope, and it's amazing how quickly you accelerate on hard snow once you go onto your back!

IF your happy to do that then that would be great, We are walking on the 8th of Feb. :)

Defo taking plenty of food and water with us as well as a few sugary snacks for that boost.

Edited by Swompy

Ye that's fine, I won't need them again till next winter anyway. Are you going to Ultimate Dubs in March? Don't worry if not, I'm sure we'll see each other at one later in the year- you'll have to come back out in the vrt now the 6 speed box is in!

PM me your address

Haven't planned to go to it but I'm sure we will cross paths soon enough.

Defo won't turn down another chance to ride in that beast :D

Legend :D

Let me know how much it cost and ill send you some beer tokens!!!!

No problem. Have a look at this about how to use them:

I hear most of the snow has gone from up there in the last few days so you may get to the top without using the axes or the crampons! Better to be safe than sorry though.

Great video. Good footwork is the best way to prevent a slip. Crampons provide a lot of grip but getting that little kicking in action right makes them very reliable. You should have a great time!

Snow seams to be forecast this week so should make things interesting!!!

Good luck with it!

I've done it once and it's great, could have done with a bit more tea and cake though to eat at the top!

Going down hurt more than going up, went up the steeper rocky way, down the grassier way. Have fun😜

Best of luck, preparation is key. You need to find a balance between the right kit without going over board and looking like you are planning a trip for a month.

It's been over ten years since i ventured up Snowdon on foot and that was when i was probably at my peak fitness level and it was pretty tough, i'd done Pen y Fan previously and covered the breacons a few times for the DofE award.

If on the day you aren't feeling up to walking I hear you can take a Vauxhall Frontera , think it has been up and down a few times ;-)

Does anyone know if you can take a mountain bike on the train and ride back down???

Well tomorrow is the day we head up there ready for the walk on saturday.

Got pretty much everything ready.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72105[/ATTACH]