VWVW

What do you use to keep your engine bay plastic black ?

What engine dressing liquid do you use to keep your engine bay trim black and the coolant tubes nice and soft. Kind of like a moisturiser for the car :) Any recommendation ?

I use back to black spray and warm soapy water as oil can be harmful to any silicon hoses and tyre dressing is meant for rubber and can go a bit funny looking on plastic and on doubt harsh on silicone. I think there is some special silicon hose cleaner / dressing stuff I read about just can't remember what its call! Best thing to clean the silicone with is warm soapy water.

AG Vinyl and Rubber care is ok, but won't last all that long especially in winter. You get what you pay for tbh.

The best two on the market imo, are either Gtechniq C4 http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/gtechniq/c4-permanent-trim-restorer.aspx

or Carpro Dlux http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/carpro-cquartz-dlux-30ml-kit-for-wheels-and-plastic-trim.php?manufacturers_id=66

Both will outlast almost anything on the market, and the finish is absolutely superb. They are ideally used for exterior plastics, but will last a long long time! (1-2 years dependant on usage of the car.) You only need a tiny amount though, and it goes a very long way.

Other favourites for engine bay specifically (although can be used on exterior/interior plastics and trim) is 303 Aerospace.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/303-aerospace-protectant/prod_366.html

Its a bit cheaper, and won't last as long, (although alot longer than anything you can get in Halfords) hence the reason its only really used by the pros on the bay.

The Autoglym silicone hose wipes are just the bird-poo wipes in a different box! Warm soapy water and a microfibre cloth for me, it'll get filthy but a good scrubbing's the only way to get the crud off without weakening the hoses.

I sprayed all my plastics with a black Krylon-style paint for plastics - it soaks into the surface almost like a dye and comes up with a great matte finish.

Stone

as like WD40 i use GT85 which i prefer to WD40 as have found with previous cars where people have used WD40 to protect the ht leads it can leave a hard shell if not wiped off or in to the platics/rubber.