Jim Bowen

Need a new windscreen now :(

Had an advisory anyway from the MOT that i had a chip in the windscreen. (had a chap around ages ago and he said because of the size and position he won't repair it) so i left it at that.

Just had a massive stone hit the windscreen on my way into work this morning and its left a big chip, twice the size of the other one and right between my eyes as i look through the screen.

Whats the best thing to do these days? Just ring my insurance? Is a local windscreen chap that might be able to fit a new windscreen.

I just want a decent screen and decent fitting, would be easier to be as local as possible in case of any problems that may arise afterwards etc.

I also don't mind paying for it, never had to get a windscreen replaced before so a bit clueless on it all.

Hi mate

My friend recently got a job at autoglass and checked how much a screen would be for me (vr6) .

Worked out at £980 ish with call out and fitting!!

Not sure if this is any help to you but just thought I'd share :)

Ben

Sorry to hear about your windscreen. There was a posting about this not long ago where you call this particular windscreen fitter and they will call your insurance on your behalf. Its all about getting the right people to fit it and these fitters were highly praised. I will see if I can find the post.

Found the post all the info you need. Good luck.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?79081-GENUINE-VW-SEKURIT-WINDSCREEN-NOW-OBSOLETE-advice-needed-!-Bugger!!&highlight=genuine+windscreen

Use your insurance Jim, it's what it's for. Will not affect no claims and will cost you £70.

I had the Audi done recently has requested original Audi glass (despite verious claims that they are the same). Was an extra £65 for an Audi branded one, so if you are fussy about brand, make sure you ask.

Indicentally, when I got my Corrado years ago it needed a new windscreen but it's not stood the test of time - lots and lots of micro chips, which only show up in the sun.

My screens got a chip in it too, and I've thought about getting it replaced for a while now as it annoys me (didn't get mentioned at MoT time though...). It would be good to know where you end up taking it Jim seeing as we're kind of in the same part of the world. I remember Kev (Fishwick) saying he'd had a good job done on a replacement screen at a place out Ipswich way but can't find the post in the five minutes I spent looking - a search through his posts more thoroughly (or a PM to him) might bring more joy...

Mark

make sure its done right and the paint in the glass channel doesnt get damaged from them cutting it out. this is where your windscreen rust will eventualy come from,

£980 to have a corrado windscreen replaced is daylight robbery in my eyes, if everything goes to plan it shouldnt take no more then 4hours from start to finish , corrado windscreen cost me £100 localy no discount or anything, so im going to assume they charge £200 per hour?!!!!

Sorry to hear about your windscreen. There was a posting about this not long ago where you call this particular windscreen fitter and they will call your insurance on your behalf. Its all about getting the right people to fit it and these fitters were highly praised. I will see if I can find the post.

Found the post all the info you need. Good luck.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?79081-GENUINE-VW-SEKURIT-WINDSCREEN-NOW-OBSOLETE-advice-needed-!-Bugger!!&highlight=genuine+windscreen

They are in Yorkshire so may not be ideal, really good guys though so if you are ever up here......

---------- Post added at 7:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:52 PM ----------

I think most screen places will handle the insurance claim for you if that helps?

I agree with most, it is all about the fitter. I recently had my original repalced and the fitters were superb. Unfortunately I am from Swindon so it's to far for you. I remember years ago having to replace it and I went to Autoglass and they made a horrendous job. You could see the sealant on the inside, well unhappy then about 3 days later I was changing the wipers and I touch the arm and it sprung down and put a crack in the new one Another call to insurers but this time Auto Windscreens was chosen and they did a grand job......

Hi jim ,save yourself a ball ache , when you ring the fitter ,tell them the rubbers are four seperate peices . I made the mistake of not mentioning this , i came back to find a normal trim on my car flapping around in the wind and in no way water proof !. This happend to me twice even though i told them after the first time .

Hi jim ,save yourself a ball ache , when you ring the fitter ,tell them the rubbers are four seperate peices . .

theres only 2 rubber peices, one is the big long one which you see straight away {just pulls out } the other rubber sits directly at the top of the screen and doesnt go down the sides and sits in the top middle {which butts up against the two plastic side peices}, the other two are plastic trim peices that are on the sides, these are the two pieces that could potentialy break upon removal, not sure on there availability but a year and half ago they were still available new,

think maybe its about time we had a sticky for this windscreen malarky with part numbers up of the four seperate pieces,

right ETKA,

Main outer seal , "cover section" 535 845 127 A

Top middle center rubber , "Boarder strip" 535 853 307 A {remark - upper }

driverside plastic side piece, "Boarder strip" 535 853 306 {remark - Right }

passenger side plastic side peice "Boarder strip" 535 853 305 {remark - left }

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

I am looking a getting a replacement screen now & have been quoted £280 which seems reasonable.My motor trade policy doesn't cover windscreen damage,the fitter has done a few for me in the past & i know & trust his workmanship. My only worry is it isn't a genuine screen though he says he has fitted them before without any problems. Has anyone had problems with non gen screens ?

last screen i had replaced was from autoglass and they did a horrendous job. id stay clear from them if i were you as it tooks months to get them to replace the parts they damaged.

dare i say try and get second hand? i had the auto glass bloke come out to fix a chip on my dads mk5 golf,l asked him to take a look at mine because ive got a small chip in mine i would have liked removed, its SORN`d at the minute but he wanted £90 to "try" and fix it, no guarantee, anyway, he said just to leave it, the patent screens which are made for them are apparantly ****e quality and a massive ball ache to fit (his words)

he wanted £90 to "try" and fix it, no guarantee, anyway, he said just to leave it, the patent screens which are made for them are apparantly ****e quality and a massive ball ache to fit (his words)

you can tell this guy works for a big company, simply becuase it sounds like he couldnt give a rats a55...

you can tell this guy works for a big company, simply becuase it sounds like he couldnt give a rats a55...

Very true that , i wont repeat myself over the compleat cock up they made of mine , but if i left one of my jobs in that state i would expect to pull up the next day and see my tools strewn over the site .

---------- Post added at 5:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:28 PM ----------