G60radoboi

Removing sunroof.

The lining on my sunroof panel has started pealing away so I need to get it out to repair, and ideally don't want to remove the whole thing. I've watched the Ed China Wheeler Dealer video and he uses a special VW white tool that hooks into the panel, and then he gives it a good tap to release the lining panel which is then slid out.

Is this right, there's no other screws to undo? He hasn't got the lining out at this stage so it seems so - but it just seems a bit drastic and I don't want to damage the sunroof! Then how does it clip back in, is it just a reverse bash with the same tool?!

You can lift and press the inner trim panel with the sunroof closed, and then rotate it 90 degrees to slide out towards the front and remove. He was just showing off with the tool - it makes it definitely easier, but is not strictly necessary. A good carpenter could probably make one very handily, but it will be one of those special tools that will only ever be used once or twice - I guess maybe more considering how often the sunroofs break lol:

to be honest its probably easier without the tool - just gently ease it back, you'll know how much pressure to apply, which isnt much.  It will pop backwards and as fendervg says just rotate it 90 degrees and take it out.  Refitting is again by feel - gentle pressure and it pops back into the retaining slots

Posted this the other day on another thread funnily enough 

image.jpeg.888225c1f2f3512ef59ac443ee030e18.jpeg

Two of these hooks is what it holds onto. Break the plastic on the inner panel that attaches to these and it’s game over for your panel. 

That's got me nervous now! haha.

Had a go and it seemed to pop out OK, but then I could only slide it freely a couple of cm back and couldn't rotate it. As I pushed it back the inner panel lifted up in the guides as though the sunroof was tilting, and then it wouldn't go any further. Was reluctant to force it so left it to do more research.

Will have another go, sounds like I just need to keep applying a bit more oomph

Chances are, you’ll get it out alright, have it recovered and then it’ll get marked and damaged putting it back. 
with the cassette removed it slides out easy and you can keep it clean as everything is old and covered with dust.