VAG-hag

wishbone woes

Hi all,

Ive had a good search but cant find a similar problem.

I have removed 3 out of 4 bolts from my wishbones but the ns front bolt has come out 1.5" and is now just spinning the bush, its stiff as hell like but it is turning. Anyone else had this? If I dig out the universal spanner ( hammer) will it come out?

It took loads of effort to budge it but when it started it got a bit easier and now pretty stiff again.....

Hi all,

Ive had a good search but cant find a similar problem.

I have removed 3 out of 4 bolts from my wishbones but the ns front bolt has come out 1.5" and is now just spinning the bush, its stiff as hell like but it is turning. Anyone else had this? If I dig out the universal spanner ( hammer) will it come out?

It took loads of effort to budge it but when it started it got a bit easier and now pretty stiff again.....

Use something like a pry bar to lever the bolt as you turn it with a spanner. Some DW40 in there will help to free it from the bush too, spray it on the bolt and work it back in and then out again.

I'm suprised it didn't snap! The bolt will be rusted into the centre collar of the bush. If it's turning and not coming out any more, it's free of the threads, so whatever caveman method gets it out shouldn't do any damage in theory.

Cheers gents im suprised it didn't snap too! It took the life of a mac socket before it even budged...... ill try greasing the exposed bit of bolt and popping it back in n out a few times.

When I changed my wishbones last year, I was relieved that one of my front bolts eventually moved and did not shear. I spent about 4 hrs the next day turning the bolt a little fwd and a little back, hoping that it would come out. It did! My only advice (apart from lots of patience/penetrating oil) would be to dull the sense of frustration/discomfort with a few glasses of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz.

Mate, I like your style! When I shifted it I was recovering from a duriff binge! Going to tackle it tomorrow :)

everything works better with a bit of lube ;) got mine to do eventually i am going to cheat tho and get my mechanic to do it for me bit less on the beer tokens for me but lots less stress too lol good luck with it

1.5 inch is quite a way out. Have you compared the thread length on the other bolt you removed. Might just be stuck where it meets the metal sleeve in the bush.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

I didn't read above posts. Just read and seems I am repeating people lol

My only advice (apart from lots of patience/penetrating oil) would be to dull the sense of frustration/discomfort with a few glasses of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz.

Now that I do agree wholeheartedly with. I used a fair bit of Merlot cutting the sealant when taking off a front wing.

I've got a pair of wishbones sat about (though in need of new bushes) if you need them, mate...

Stone

All, thanks for the advice and stone cheers for the wishbone offer but im glad to say its out! Tried chisel and lump, it laughed at me I swear! :lol: so my mate chopped it's head off and we levered the swine out then took out frustration on removing them from the wishbones. So its high ho, off to powder coaters I go!

Copper lube guys...... there is no excuse for going in dry! ;)