robrado974

What am i doing wrong ?

Just looked at goldies car on his thread thats just been updated , how the hell do you get a shine like that ? . I had a full respray a year ago , it was done professionally . I wash it properly , polish and use the expensive autoglym wax , but it does not look like it should ? is it me being fussy ? . Friends on the forum who live near me say it looks great but it seems lacking to me when you compare it to goldies pic ?. Colour is dbp by the way . Rob

Edited by robrado974

Thankyou for the praise but remember some of the finish in the pictures are due to the lighting (which was quite yellow) and the quality of the camera...

There was an Aubergine Rallye parked behind mine and that looked immense in the light, dark cars just seem to have so much more depth in the shine..

Light colour's will alway's look good under artificial light there are plenty i have seen in pic's and thought wow get up close and personal and it's not the same (not putting goldie's in that category) you can tell when a car has been done to a high standard and for being non professional Michael's is very very good as said before a credit to you and your dedication mate "Quality"

Depends what polish your using, and how your using it tbh. If your just using something like SRP, its not so much a polish as a glaze. It contains fillers, which will hide most of the swirls/marring/holograms from the respray, which it will more than likely have if not done by a very very respectable detailing/repair shop. SRP is good at adding colour, but not the gloss you'd get from proper correction. What you need to get that depth is full correction by machine, followed possibly by a glaze that accentuates the pearl effect in your paint, then wax/sealant on top.

As said above - its all about the prep. I find lighter coloured cars, especially silver, is quite difficult to get any depth of shine on. My personal preference polish wise is the Menzerna range, then an oily glaze like Clearkote RMG (which is also quite filler heavy will mask a bit of swirling) and topped with either a nice sealant like Opti-Seal and/or a decent wax. I've used plenty of waxes in my time at all price levels and for the combination of price, ease of use, looks and durability DJ Rainforest Rub is hard to beat, although at the moment I'm using Victorias Concours Red on my Corrado. I've not used them but also heard nothing but good things about Prima Amigo and Black Hole as well.

You can learn so much by having a read of the detailing world forum but be warned - it's very addictive! :D

I use autoglym shampoo , followed by autoglym polish and then the autoglym high definition wax . Like i say perhaps its me being fussy . How long will the SRP last sean ? i do have some swirls and holograms , that i would like to see gone , bit scarred of using products on it tbh , the other thing that gets me is the water marks left by the window rubbers after its rained . Thanks for your advice as well Jamie , might be time to try something new .

Edited by robrado974

I`d go back to basic`s, go on detailing world and have a good look around.I got mine to a really nice finish but it was not just a one off job it took many many hours of refinement and learning about different products and paint. If you are still getting water marks then the paint is not sealed properly.. On darker paint I found poorboys black hole glaze great for using at shows and jetseal superb.

DSCF9631.jpg

DSCF9626.jpg

The SRP will last as long as the HD wax will tbh mate. Its sealed underneath by the wax layer. Dont get me wrong, SRP is a very good product and puts alot of the top end manufacturers to shame. Glazes/paint cleansers all do the same thing, just to varying degrees and each one offers better something. Pretty much all offer light cutting, micro fillers, and gloss enhancing. SRP is best at filling. As mentioned the black hole gets good reviews, Prima Amigo is very good, or Britemax BlackMax will probably be good for your colour too. May be worth getting a product thats a compound/polish on its own to correct a little better before applying the glaze though. Something like Megs ultimate compound is very good by hand, followed by one of the above, then seal/wax. Im on my phone so cant offer links though sorry. Cleanyourcar, i4detailing, elitecarcare are all good sites for products. Your pretty limited to products from halfords unless your lucky enough to have a detailing shop near you though unless buying online. As mentioned above, Chemical guys Jetseal 109 is immense! I use it on alloys and SS exhausts, but its very good on paint too.

As others have said, time, effort, skill and right products make a huge difference.

I spent over 40 hours going over my 16VG60 with an orbital machine polisher and the correct grade of polish and pad to get all the light swirls out that were marring the finish - then a couple of layers of Zymol wax on top to seal it up.

Best bet is to have a read and understand the techniques for what works and if you want to go down the DIY option be prepared to spend out on the better products - the wrong cut of polish will make a mess of paint very quickly!

Thanks for all the advice guys , very much appreciated .Its annoying you have to do all this after painting though , you dont see mr Jones over the road with a polisher after he has bought a new car do you . Rob

Edited by robrado974

Actually you'd be surprised how poor the finish is on brand new cars! BMW I've noticed are especially bad..........

Thanks for all the advice guys , very much appreciated .Its annoying you have to do all this after painting though , you dont see mr Jones over the road with a polisher after he has bought a new car do you . Rob

90% of body shops can`t finish cars to a high standard and Mr Jones across the road will have **** paint work within 6 months if he does not wash it correctly and use the right products.We are so far behind the americans when it comes to car care and detailing but with some time and care you can have your car looking amazing...

Most body shops only mop the car afterwards to hide and eliminate the orange peel effect and poor finish they get out of the gun...

You do if you if you live across the road from Mark from Heavenly Detail. His VXR correction thread was insane...

C5 oem , you are right about the mopping , i know they only did this , when i picked it up .Thanks again guys , i will be looking into products you have mentioned . Will be ordering some Gtechniq c4 for interior plastics and surfex for my leather as well . Need to get meself a polisher too . Dont get me wrong ,when you look at the car when its been waxed it looks fantastic , its only us anul people that spot things and want everything perfect .

Rob, did you mean the C4 for exterior plastics? Its obviously quite expensive (£25 for 15ml) and is best used for exterior not interior, and won't go very far on your interior! If your gonna use BH Surfex like I have on my leather, make sure you condition it afterwards, as its quite a harsh chemical even at a high dilution ratio, so will dry the leather out.

Ah i must have read it wrong thought it was for reviving interior plastics . Ive repainted leather before using furniture clinic products . Was looking for a product to clean beige leather , ive tried a few products but still looks a dirty .

Use Poorboys Natural Look for interior plastics - it's really good stuff and gives a really nice, non glossy natural look, hence the name.

I've heard from a few people that Pears soap is a brilliant cleaner for leather interiors but I've never used it myself. I used Meguiars Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on the leather in my Passat a few years back but have to say I wasn't impressed at all

Edited by Jamie

Another vote for the poorboys...

On my previous Rado which had beige leather i used Gliptone stuff and it was great, it wasnt exactly a mess when i got it though...

Will give the poorboys a try then , i used gliptone on mine and it didnt seem to do much , think i will give it another try .

Just looked at goldies car on his thread , I had a full respray a year ago , it was done professionally . I wash it properly , polish and use the expensive autoglym wax , but it does not look like it should ? is it me being fussy ? . Friends on the forum who live near me say it looks great but it seems lacking to me when you compare it to goldies pic ?. Colour is dbp by the way . Rob

should compare them side by side in real life and not by a photo vs real life , i bet your cars paint does look great ,