Roger Blassberg

Heater matrix replacement

Steamy windows, damp smells....... no, not the sequel to "50 Shades of Grey". It's the dreaded leaking heater. Again.

Last time, about 7 years ago, I paid someone to do it - 8 hours of labour allegedly -, and I am thinking that it can't be that difficult to do myself. In fact the last effort resulted in a lack of windscreen demisting on the passenger side and a very (cough) stiff control knob, so all this needs sorting too.

The Wiki article looks rather simplistic and lacks detail, with all due respect to the author,.

If there is anyone out there who can share experiences on taking out the dashboard without breaking the heater controls etc., I would be grateful.

Does the fact that I have the dealer-fitted air conditioning make it any more complex?

I don't want to have to repeat this yet again, so what are the most reliable replacement matrices?

Thanks

RB

I'm sure that Kris wrote a pretty comprehensive guide on how to do it.

*edit*

Here it is:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?45452-Replacing-the-heater-matrix-non-canada-style-max-pics

I've helped do two heater matrixes in the last couple of years. It's not especially difficult but just takes a lot of time.

Edited by Jim

you want a valeo mk3 golf matrix, these don't have to be sourced from VW, just make sure it's not a cheap pattern one, they're essentially a little radiator and quality/construction issues are basically the same, cheap ones are not as robust. with with a radiator going you'll just get stuck waiting for the AA, with a matrix blowing you could get boiling water on your feet and no visibility as the screen mists up!

I would advice taking lots of pictures of what your doing and where some screw goes as you are doing it as a reminder.

Mine dont have air con dont know if it makes a diffent but I managed it without taking the dash out by being very careful.

Hardest bit for me was taking the Glovebox out and also loosening the bracket for the relays behind the Glove box.

You will also need to drain away all your old coolants and top up at the top radiator elbow first to avoid air locks. This part is prone to cracking.

Having done this myself my advise would be take your time, with the dash don't force it or twist as when putting it back the dash won't line up quite right, I also found being systematic about it helped I have had the dash out twice the first time I forgot to connect a couple of wires and the whole lot had to come out.

I can vouch for this, it hurts like holy hell if it ends up on your (or passengers feet). Took a good month for my foot to heal fully...... Although wish I'd known about the Valeo matrix before I put a pattern one in. Guess that's another job to add to the list :awesome:

I took mine out yesterday, wasn't too bad but I havnt put it back yet!, have aloof at this (if it works), its a good guide for a left hand drive but its more or less the same as far as I can see

http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8848

I've just had a proper read of it and its not the way I've done it, I didn't take the dash out, but the pictures will give you a better idea as to where the screws are

Edited by lee55233

I did mine a couple of years ago. I have dealer fitted aircon too. The only difference I found was the fan unit. There were a couple of nuts/bolts holding the fan unit to the ducting. I imagine there are small differences between the aircon cars depending on which dealer fitted the unit!.

It took me over a weekend to do the whole job, but I was labeling every connector and taking photos along the way. I also found lots of other bits to tidy-up while the dash was out.

Where is the best place to source one of these Valeo units to guarantee its quality? I only fancy doing the job once...

Where is the best place to source one of these Valeo units to guarantee its quality? I only fancy doing the job once...

I got mine from GSF. Just ask specifically for a Valeo branded one. I also got 10 percent off for being CCGB member too when you show your membership card.

Job now done. The diverter flap in the heater box is a bit of a mess, and rather stiff to turn the control knob, but I' ll live with it for the time being and sort it out in the Summer (anyone remember what Summer is??).

RB

Got to do mine .. I'm told you can swap the matrix without taking the whole dash out. Did you manage that?

it was pretty easy with the dash in TBH, the only problem I really had with the whole job was one rusted fixing in the engine bay I had to drill out but that would have to have been done anyway.

I can imagine doing the actual distribution unit removal and refitting is much easier with the dash out but I didn't fancy removing all the speedo etc

Got my Valeo one from GSF and did it with the dash out, used it as an opportunity to tidy some wiring up left over from other peoples stereo and alarm installs, not difficult but is time consuming

I changed mine last week with a GSF one, the budget one was an unknown brand I can't remember, and the premium one was Behr/Hella - which is the one I got in the end. I greased up the plastic gearing on the box after giving it all a good clean, but its still very stiff.