Sign in to follow this  
andiG60

vr playing up

if anyone could offer advice on this i would be grateful

i have a 93 vr6 and untill yesterday everything ran fine, lots of power, lots and lots of speed.

however!, now the car wont seem to go over 80-90ish, it starts perfectly on the key, no idel problems, but underload it seems the rev counter looks sluggish and the speedo evenmore so. i have a 57i fitted and the trademark roar as the revs build is more like a quite murmour??? the accerlerator pedel seems to feel shorter and even when planted to the floor the car seems super lazy.

I have used some slick50 petrol tratment but to no avail and only use optimax fuel.

I had a full service(bar fuel filter) 2000 miles ago ( car at 108000) and cant think what the problem could be. any ideas????????

the accerlerator pedel seems to feel shorter and even when planted to the floor the car seems super lazy.

Could also be the cable is slack causing you not to be able to reach full throttle?

could also be the infamous cam.pos sensor too.........it can "lose" a VR 30bhp+ so i've heard :shock:

Yep.. cam position sensor on mine was goosed & a new one released all that lost power. With the CPS out, the ECU just retards the timing as far as it can, so losing tons of horses! VAG COM will tell you if it is the CPS.

Cheers,

Robbo

Yep.. cam position sensor on mine was goosed & a new one released all that lost power. With the CPS out, the ECU just retards the timing as far as it can, so losing tons of horses! VAG COM will tell you if it is the CPS.

Will it actually stop the engine from going over 90mph tho?

the accerlerator pedel seems to feel shorter and even when planted to the floor the car seems super lazy.

Sounds like either cable snagging/throttle body jamming or something in the footwell/under the pedal stopping you getting full throttle! VAG-COM will tell you the throttle angles as measured by the TPS - should be less than 14 degrees at idle/throttle closed and over 90 degrees at wide open....

Will it actually stop the engine from going over 90mph tho?

Nope. It will go well over 100 with a dead CPS.....it'll just take longer to get there.

If you struggle to find a cause for this, check the cat hasn't gone into meltdown, causing a blockage in the exhaust. That's a 'last resort' check.

K

didnt think about the cat, its going into the local vw specalists on friday to get hooked up for the sensors to be checked out as well as check on fuel pressure etc as on my g60 i had a problem with the pressure pipe in the tank off the pump that had degraded inside and split causing the pressure to be non existant!! only after trying two new pumps, filters, injectors cleaned, plugs, ecu analyised and partridge in a pear tree!! ended up costing 30p for couple inches of hose :evil:

thanks again for the info