markTTC

Lupo GTi front wiper conversion - See Page 23!!! for update

Hi all,

Just rang VW in Harold Wood (essex), they have no wiper sets in stock but said they would order 2 in as long as I go in pay up front. They confirmed cost of £18.06 each side. Happy days!!

Part No's: 6x2998405 and 6x2998406

One question, is it best to get 2 drivers side wipers do they fit both sides. I was told that the drivers side is better

Good luck with your orders

Retrodal

Well, I just phoned Smith Knight Fay in Stockport and ordered 2x V6X2 998 406... £18.03 each and they'll be here before Friday... 8)

Just thought I'd get some quick so that I can fit 'em to both of my Corrados rather than having to swap 'em around every time I take a car out for a drive! :lol:

V6x2 998 406 = drivers arm and blade... 8)

Well I have one of each and it seems to sweep perfectly. Doesn't hit anything and goes right to the edges.. but not over.

New windscreen fitted today and it rained :D Perfect vision

Never though I'd be happy to see rain.

A question that i haven't seen answered although i could have quite easily missed it is...

Do they have to be lupo GTI wiper blades and arms or will standard lupo wiper blades and arms do the same job?

A question that i haven't seen answered although i could have quite easily missed it is...

Do they have to be lupo GTI wiper blades and arms or will standard lupo wiper blades and arms do the same job?

I asked the same question at the dealers and they looked at me funny. 'Wiperblades are wiperblades' was their response. Didn't seem like a stupid question to me :wink:

I have standard lupo blades if it helps. I don't think there's a difference. Please post otherwise as there's no wind deflector on my set.

Thanks Rawhide, if they are working fine for you then i guess it doesnt make a difference whether they come off a GTI or not.

Surely its worth just asking the local scrappy for regular lupo wiper arms and blades first before ordering i think!!!

Cheers

According to my local stealer, the 405/6 parts are superceded by 6X2955410C and they're

a) on back order by MK from Germany &

b) £30.45 + VAT each :cry:

Still, on the plus side, GSF have supplied a pair of Bosch Aero blades for a reasonable £19.95 They look really cool - pity I can't fit them without the arms!

Originally they HAD to be GTI ones as they were the only ones to get the "aero blade" style wipers... the other models just got bog standard wipers... VW has now introduced the "aero blade" style wipers to just about every new VW car... 8) This is part of the reason the part numbers have changed every 30 minutes... :roll: :lol:

FECK! I just went to pick up my wipers... That'll be £85 please! :shock:

WTF? They told me £18.03 each and then tell me that they're £42 when I go and pick 'em up... I told 'em (loudly and VERY publicly!) exactly where they could shove their £80 wipers... ;) :mad: :twisted:

According to the parts guy "someone's been buying lots of these, and VW were making a loss on them, so they've put the price up.... They were only supposed to be for people who had complained about their Lupo Gtis having problems with the wipers and who had the first batch of the aero blade style wipers, hence the cheapness....."

Think I'll leave 'em on his shelf for a few months, then go and offer him cash to take 'em off his hands... ;) :lol:

A little birdie has told me that GPC are knockin the blade and arm kits out for less than 20 gold ones......i'll call and make sure tamara

FECK! I just went to pick up my wipers... That'll be £85 please! :shock:

WTF? They told me £18.03 each and then tell me that they're £42 when I go and pick 'em up... I told 'em (loudly and VERY publicly!) exactly where they could shove their £80 wipers... ;) :mad: :twisted:

Main dealers are such w@nkers. The "biggest" in Leicester are the worst. The parts person sits there like hes doing you a favour, or as though HE is having to pay for the part you are trying to order...

Sometimes, i feel like putting a grenade in his mouth.

ive managed to source some, by phoning round the local VW dealers, have had to buy one from one dealer and the other from another, which means ive onyl got one on at the minute, but you can really tell the difference!!

Oh and they only cost me £18 each! :)

At last, I have managed to get a set of Areo blades and arms. I got them from the VW and Audi Breakers in River Road, Barking, Essex.

£20 all in....happy days

Just to make sure. Is it right that the arms are slightly different or have I been ripped off!!!!! I know the blades are different but one or the arms has a longer flatter bit at the base.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Best way is to fit 'em I guess! :) Check the state of your linkage as well, these wipers *may* cause extra strain on the mechanism causing the driver's side spline to snap off from the rest of the linkage.

This stops the blade having proper contact with the window, and means you'll have to strip the linkage down, drill out the holes and drop a nut+bolt in there X2.

Thanks for the advice Randal, how can I check if the linkage is good or bad, or do I just wait until it breaks!!!!

Oh you'll be able to tell alright. Your wipers will suck more than ever, just pushing water around the screen and missing a spot right on your field of view. Also, if you spring the wiper up (as if you were washing hte car) there will be a huge amount of play in it. Failing that, remove the linkage and you'll be able to see where it's sheared off.

I'd take a pic of the one I've repaired, but it's dark and I'm lazy :D Drop me a line if you still need.

When you say play do you mean side to side? Mine has a fair bit of this but I had put this down to wear on a ball and socket style connection in the mechanism. I had assumed this was a part I was going to have to replace.

The easiest way to spot the play is to turn the wipers on, and stand side on watching the spline shaft. As the wiper comes up vertical, you'll see the blade move away from the windscreen. If this is the case, the two welds that hold the upside down "T" shaped spline for the wiper arm have snapped allowing the "T" to move away when it should be pushing the blade onto the screen.

Hope that's understandable enough, it's a pain to explain but it's easy to spot if it's that foo-bar'd.

hth

randal

I've read most of the thread but just to clarify....i need:

2 x drivers side wiper arm and blade part no:V6X2998406

and could i order these same parts from gsf for less??

many thanks andy

P.S it rained the other day ....and i can't take it anymore!!