Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

the scuttle area, questions

The eare where the ECU is, and the wiper mechanism and motor.

Is it meant to have a plastic cover over it?

Is it meant to be painted in there? mines in primer and only the edges have paint.

some muppet has been in there trying to fix a water leak and put silicone sealant all over the place (even were there are no joints....) and I'm trying to tidy it all up.

There was only ever a flimsy half-hearted cover over the ECU end - looks pants in there doesn't it!

Mine's painted inside, but only just - some primed bits are peeping through here and there.

You can get a golf full length cover to fit, but it requires some cutting and warming/melting/bending - there's a guide on Oichan's site http://www.oichan.org ...

I think Guy Hartely fitted a carbon fibre one to his storm - and he's going to inters.....

AFAIK there's no overall cover for it, just a small cover for the right hand side near the ECU. But the plastic they made it out of is so flimsy a strong breeze will blow a hole in it, so it's probably not worth it!

all smiles are doing a carbon scuttle cover..at least i think its all smiles that are doing them :?

so is it meant to be so badly painted?

mine loks like it's had some sort of soundproofing or something in there and someone has pulled it all off, leaving an outline of where the paint stops and the primer is showing.

Around the throttle cable area?

Yeah there should be a bitumen sheet along the bottom of the scuttle area. Sounds like it's been pulled out for what ever reason.

the reason for all the silicon is because the area around the heater intake is the main culprit for wet floors!!! its probably had a leak and he tried to fix at some point.

a full cover would be a great idea and would surely stop any leaks!!!

that's why there is so much primer on show then. the bitumen has gone. someone's been in there looking for the water leak and removed it.

Surprised my how badly the car is painted actually. not the bodywork, but underneath and aunder the seats is crap, nost of it is bare primer, hard;y any body colour. up in the suspension turrets is the same, bare shutz.

I'll get a tin mixed up and paint it.

Most cars are like that, certainly VWs always have been.

Robot arms don't care about getting paint in every nook and cranny! Just a quick blast will do!

does anyone else know about that rain cover?? oichan page says golf2 (which i guess is golf mk 2???? i dont read japaneese im affraid) where as vortex said a2 (i presume audi a2??)

has anyone else tried it?

Yep Golf MK2. Not sure if LHD or RHD is required so that you get the hump in the right place to cover the wiper motor.

OK, after a bit of shoddy Babelfish translation, it seems you just buy 191 819 415C and hack it up till it fits!

Seems easy enough.... might order one this avo....

K

OK, after a bit of shoddy Babelfish translation, it seems you just buy 191 819 415C and hack it up till it fits!

Seems easy enough.... might order one this avo....

K

Best check for a RHD version first ;-)

about £25 from GPC.

actually, I think I gave the one I had away, because I've cut the upper bulkeahd panel off on my mk2 so I didn't need it. bugger.

I'd say the LHD one is the one to use as it has the hump in the right place to clear the wiper. The RHD one would have the hump at the other end wouldn't it?

What say EKTA?

K

What say EKTA?

K

ETKA just say "water deflector 191 819 415 C (lhd) 192 819 415 C (rhd)!

No diagrams or anyfink of the difference between the two....

But Oichans Corrado is LHD - even though they drive on the left... (Apparently the Japanese like their cars to be spec'ed as close as possibile to how they are in the country of manufacture, right down to having the steering wheel on the "german" side ...)

Yeah I know his is LHD, what I'm getting at is the square hump on the left hand side of the car is perfect for clearing the wiper motor on RHD cars. If you buy the RHD scuttle cover, the hump will be on other side and therefore useless to us.

K

i have a good idea kev o king of the small mod!! :lol: why dont you buy both and tell us all which one fits best :wink:

i see what your getting at actually. im pretty interested in this as i cant seem to stop my leak at the mement. I'm hoping if the whole area is covered the rain wont get in there in the first place!!