delfinis38

Wheel bearings

Anyone know who made the wheel bearings for the corrado....

Where they originally Manufactured by SKF...

Don't mind paying veedub prices but 35 pounds per bearing seems a bit steep for the rear but then again don't want to buy any cheap rubbish that will last 5 mins

Getting mine done this weekend by DG Autotech... Will see who they use if you can wait till then? :-).

I paid approx £23 for febi bilstein stuff from mister-auto.co.uk. Not sure who makes OEM stuff but febi make good stuff along with Lemforder and TRW and LUK

Getting mine done this weekend by DG Autotech... Will see who they use if you can wait till then? :-).

Cheers jim. That would be good if you can find out. No rush at the moment. Don,t need doing Yet. Just

doing preventative maintenance while bits are off the car.

SKF or FAG or SNR are the only ones I would use with SKF the first choice (probably originally fitted by VW). I'm in the middle of doing my front bearings with SKF that I bought at a good price (an offer no longer available). There are a few companies on Ebay selling VR6 SKF rears for approx £12 and fronts approx £30.

Carparts4less have VR6 SNR rears for £12 and fronts for £30.60 (inc Vat and delivery). The last time I looked GSF were selling FAG rears for approx £17

I wouldn't use Febi: they are OK for some things but not for others. (My Febi top mounts lasted only 3K-similar stories on this forum about their rear beam bushes).

Just trawl through all possible suppliers on the internet including Ebay and only consider these 3 premium brands. If you have time you could also enquire about brands like Firstline, Unipart and Quinton Hazell: they often buy in premium parts and simply package them as their own. One of my SKF bearings was packaged as Unipart.

And finally, if you are doing your fronts, be aware that its possible you may have to replace the hub. One of mine is worn on the inboard side such that the inner race rotates (it should be an interference fit). I was not aware of any play prior to dismantling.

Edited by bmwcompact

SKF or FAG or SNR are the only ones I would use with SKF the first choice (probably originally fitted by VW). I'm in the middle of doing my front bearings with SKF that I bought at a good price (an offer no longer available). There are a few companies on Ebay selling VR6 SKF rears for approx £12 and fronts approx £30.

Carparts4less have VR6 SNR rears for £12 and fronts for £30.60 (inc Vat and delivery). The last time I looked GSF were selling FAG rears for approx £17

I wouldn't use Febi: they are OK for some things but not for others. (My Febi top mounts lasted only 3K-similar stories on this forum about their rear beam bushes).

Just trawl through all possible suppliers on the internet including Ebay and only consider these 3 premium brands. If you have time you could also enquire about brands like Firstline and Quinton Hazell: they often buy in premium parts and simply package them as their own. One of my SKF bearings was packaged as QH.

And finally, if you are doing your fronts, be aware that its possible you may have to replace the hub. One of mine is worn on the inboard side such that the inner race rotates (it should be an interference fit). I was not aware of any play prior to dismantling.

thanks.... some good info there....

I spotted the skf on ebay and thought that they may be original fit VW. or near the same quality.

They are SKF and seem to be the only ones that last!

I can get them for just under £20+VAT from TPS - are you going to Stanford Hall??

They are SKF and seem to be the only ones that last!

I can get them for just under £20+VAT from TPS - are you going to Stanford Hall??

Unfortunately not as I will be out of the country, was hoping to go :(. thanks for the kind thought.

I've just done a cross reference on the SKF website. It looks like the Rear Bearings are SKF VKBA 529 and are round about £15 - £20 each dependant where you get them from ebay / bearing factors.

The front bearings are SKF VKBA 1491.

Thanks all for the input.

Timken and NTN are also good quality.

Timken were the first bearing manufacturer to produce taper roller bearings, as fitted to the rear of the Corrado.

I agree, these are high quality bearings used in many industrial applications, but do you know who sells Timken or NTN bearings for the corrado?

I was going to order SNR, but if you can get SKF VR6 front bearings and you are going to Stanford hall, could you please bring me some? :D

I was going to order SNR, but if you can get SKF VR6 front bearings and you are going to Stanford hall, could you please bring me some? :D

Lol, I just called TPS - they have them instock so I asked them to check the brand - SNR!! I think I read somewhere that SNR / SKF are the same company now or one owns the other...

They're also more expensive than they used to be, £32.50 each so £78 inc VAT (VR6 front bearings just to confirm)

Anyway - they deliver to my work so I can get them no problem just let me know by the end of today but you may want to buy from Euro if they're the same brand and I think someone on here was selling a pair for £60ish recently?

Teeee Heee .... I've just order SKF..... should of looked at the thread earlier......

not to worry they are decent bearings. TPS seem a similar price to carparts4less

Think i'll just get the SNR ones from carparts4less mate :) Thanks anyway, similar price with the discount codes etc.... and saves the hassle.

delfinis, I ididnt bother in the end mate so I think they are still available....

cheers bud..... unfortunately I needed the blunt end not the sharp end.