Jim

Companies to transport a non-running car?

I just wondered if any folks here have any reccomendations for a company to move a non-running car for me? I need the car moving about 90 miles - from the Cambridge area, up to Coventry. I'm hoping we can get the car to a point where it can be rolled on its wheels but it doesn't have a running engine so would need to be winched up onto a low loader / trailer.

Anybody ever used such a company before? Alternatively anyone with a car / trailer want to earn some beer tokens (and obviously petrol, etc reimbursed).

Cheers.

Bump. Obviously I can Google and find random companies but was specifically hoping to get recommendations based on experience. Ta.

When I had to move a non running car at the end of last year,I was let down by a "mate" with a trailer.

I rang around a few small established recovery companies.The prices wasn't extortionate,they turned up when they said they would,and the car was insured,mine only went about 70 miles.Being the car was/is worth a lot of money,I was more then happy with the result

I'm collecting hennys engineless car tomorrow with a local lad found on ebay.

Search car transportation / collection / delivery etc

Interesting thread. My brother is just about to drop out of the rat race and start up doing this very thing. He's been looking at buying a transporter and has been discussing contracts with a few garages. There is apparently a lot of competition and so prices are keen. But there are also a lot of people who are fly-by-night's with really shabby vehicles. He's not intending to make a fortune doing it and will be giving up a very well paid career. It's more a lifestyle thing for him and a love of cars.

Interesting thread. My brother is just about to drop out of the rat race and start up doing this very thing. He's been looking at buying a transporter and has been discussing contracts with a few garages. There is apparently a lot of competition and so prices are keen. But there are also a lot of people who are fly-by-night's with really shabby vehicles. He's not intending to make a fortune doing it and will be giving up a very well paid career. It's more a lifestyle thing for him and a love of cars.

How soon is he looking to get started?! :)

How soon is he looking to get started?! :)

In a few months - he's currently in Holland :D

Ah bugger.. I'd have happily been a trial run for him :) Ah well..

---------- Post added at 7:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:46 PM ----------

I'm collecting hennys engineless car tomorrow with a local lad found on ebay.

Search car transportation / collection / delivery etc

Found a chap based in Northampton with very good feedback.. I've dropped him a line!

Cheers.. however just got a quote from the eBay guy at £130 which is door to door - collection and delivery, fully insured, and he has exemplary feedback on eBay. I think I have a winner :)

Was thinking of Antony from the SciroccoRegister, but he´s based in Nottingham, and I´m not sure whether he´s got the matching tow-vehicle. Bit too far away, but Hywell is into this sort of stuff, out of working hours that is.

Tempest

Fair old slog for Hywell though from Wales.. I could drop him a line though and see if it's something he'd be interested in quoting for! :)

Jim, a mate of mine, Ben, has a company called Autobarnz, he's based just outside Stratford. He's got a Facebook page you should be able to find. He uses a VW transporter towing a large trailer, but he's done quite a bit if business now and seems to be doing a good job.

Cool - thanks for the tip. Found his page. Will drop him a line.

Hi, I have hired car trailers from BLT trailers CV8 3EL Tel 07831 502479 before not sure of current prices, was £50.00 for a day in 2007/8. Will use them again when I have sorted the body work on the C and I need to get it sprayed. Yell.com lists other trailer hire companies, including Poulter Trailer hire on Princes drive ind estate in Kenilworth. My A4 avant has a towbar, so can tow it if the weights are OK, not sure what you are planning to move, I will PM my mobile number if you need any help. Hatton VR6.

Jim, not sure if it'll make a difference, but let him know Grim told you about him. Hopefully he'll quote you a reasonable price.

Have ended up inundated here in many respects. Appreciate the offer Hatton but would feel a bit odd imposing on members I didn't know well for favours like that! Lined up a quote with a chap now.. Just got to go see the car and do the deal :-) Be sure to keep an eye on my members gallery thread! ;)

Shiply a company where you put your transport request on and various small/large companies come back with prices.

I`ve used the system a few times and always with great success.Worth a try!!