Sign in to follow this  
n8047035

Car is dying on me

Help everyone! My C is recently playing up. It seems to really die on me when im accelerating, and even with my pedal to the metal the revs jus fall away. This is making me really paranoid when pulling away from junctions and overtaking as one minute it can be running fine, and then the next this happens. Once it begins to die you just have to hope and pray no one is up your arse and then it suddenly kicks itself back into life and we're off again! Any ideas? Also it would really help if someone in the newcastle could reccomend a mechanic in the area that i could take it to to have a good overall health check as im a bit of a novice myself.

Cheers

Check the HT leads, spark plugs, dizzy cap and coil (if you have them)... would be a good place to start. Hope you get it sorted

Yep, those are pretty much the exact symptoms we had on an old Jetta 1.6 when the distributor cap was rotten..

Dizzy cap mate :D same happened to me three weeks ago, while scooting up the A3 to Hindhead, fortunely there was no one too close behind me. As I'd only had it serviced the week before I call my garage and got them to recover me, I was not going to trust it to get me home, any way, they looked at the HT leads, spark plugs and dizzy cap, (cause they put new leads and plugs in when they serviced it) and found the dizzy cap was split. I created saying they should have found that out during the service, especially as it looked like it had been cracked for a while. So, new dizzy and cars runnning fine! But the symptoms were exactly as you describe, check your dizzy!

thanks ppl. will check that out tommorrow. how much will a new one cost me? Oh by the way, am running a G60. thanks again

Hey,

my G60 seems to be doing the same things, I drive her every day, but as you say, you have to be careful you don't get caught out. Let me know how you get on,

Jamie

i know its taken me ages to reply but i been in and out of hospital, but hopefully thats all sorted now. Anyway, drove my C and the problem is still there but now the battery light begins to flicker when dipping the clutch and it can even stall when i go round corners etc-not safe at all. Does this confirm that it is my dizzy or could it be something with the idling valve. Finally, the CAT is really starting to smell-any suggestions would really be helpful to me because i am useless when it comes to cars. Oh, last thing, is anybody based in Newcastle, and if so could they reccomend a good garage to take my baby to.

Thanks

I created saying they should have found that out during the service, especially as it looked like it had been cracked for a while.

Hehe, yeah, my shocks have been on the way out for a while. One week after the 100K service I changed the shocks - all the original ones, all completely shot.

Did VAG tell me, let alone notice?

Not a dickybird...

Letter of complaint is on the way...(despite the fact *I* knew they were shot and had 4 new ones sitting in the dining room waiting to go on!)

With regard to servicing, Pitstop on Forth Bank down at the quayside.There seems to be nothing Ken doesn't know about VW's