lilfuzzer

Isle of Man TT

Not a biker myself but the guys that do that deserve mucho respect. Looking forward to the first race on Friday who else is?

Would love to get there one day to experience

Not been to Isle of Man TT, but have done the TT at Assen in Holland. Proper mental parties before hand too in the town. Difference there all non bikers seem to love the race and enjoy the party too.

Travelling back, there were 6 bikes abreast on the motorway and over 100 miles south, still locals were out on the bridges waving.

Isle of Man TT though is for the serious ones. Thre have always been a few that drop out of that one, saying its too dangerous. As you say One Day !!

Love the TT, nothing like it in motorsport anywhere else in the world. Have been watching the build up and will be watching the racing each day.

As a biker myself I'd love to go one day and ride it but not on TT fortnight, apparently it's madness for 2 weeks. Unfortunately a competitor has already passed away during practice.

My mate should be riding the TT this year so long as his shoulders fixed after coming off at cadwell lol !! Not the greatest of starts for the tt having to recoup from an off but i think its sorted now .

Pretty sure he'll be riding his triumph 1000 if he goes with it , and i hope he has been paying attention as he sometimes rides with guy martin lol only on push bike

Massive respect for these blokes though its got to be one of the most mental races in the world ! One small mistake and you dont get any second chances

Rip to the chaps that have been lost to it over the years

!! Just text him its next year he is doing it not this year lol !! Close though

Edited by sexybourbon
i dont listen when people tell me stuff

Not a biker myself but the guys that do that deserve mucho respect. Looking forward to the first race on Friday who else is?

Agreed. Having driven round that course in a car, it makes you realise the bikers must have steel balls to drive round at the speeds they do. Sadly, a Japanese rider died on one of the practice days. It's a very dangerous course!

It's an expensive trip but definitely worth it, even if you just do it once. There's a reason people come back year after year though and from all over the world.

First race is Saturday btw ... it's practice week this week (evenings) and then racing from Saturday until Senior Race Day next Friday.

Agreed. Having driven round that course in a car, it makes you realise the bikers must have steel balls to drive round at the speeds they do. Sadly, a Japanese rider died on one of the practice days. It's a very dangerous course!

Scary stuff indeed. How they average over 130mph for 37 miles is astonishing.

I don't tend to bother doing any laps over TT. The mountain road is one way but so much of it is coned off or under temporary speed restrictions (safety apparently) that it's not worth it.

Get the R32 on the boat matey ;)

Heading out there for just over a week on Sunday for Dad's 60th Birthday fingers crossed & both bikes make it.

So glad we decided to make it happen.

Check list for 2013 was drive the Nurburgring & ride the TT Course.

One down, one to go.

You sold yours not long after getting it, so I imagine they don't make good rock cars :lol:

Made a really good Rock car actually - the suspension soaks the bumps pretty well and the lazy torque breezes you around the course. I only sold it because I missed the ~400bhp Evo power.

Stuey, feel free to give me a shout if you want any pointers or advice ... arriving on Mad Sunday, brave man! :salute:

Never been to this and would love to see it but I think a couple of days would do me. I know its a biker mecca but I think Id rather go to the North West, sadly I missed that trip when I punted my bike down the road a few days before.

2 years since my last road bike and 6 months since I sold my race bike and Im not missing it in the slightest to be honest.

Mugello GP is another must, the Italians are nuts!!!

Been over a few times and loved every second. Even as a non biker who has no interest on a day to day level, the atmosphere coupled with the natural beauty that it is the IOM should be experienced by all at least once.

Every time I've gone back I always come away asking "how is this race still allowed to continue".

About the only sports event i've been to where there's not even a hint of corporate guests just there for the jolly. I mean where can you go and walk round the paddock and pit lane to talk to the riders and mechanics any more. They even have the scouts running the time boards for cripes sake !

wendy for sure this is on the list!!!

yeah I heard about the sad fatality :(

The weather seems to have had the better of the teams this year on the build up so maybe it will be an exciting week of racing. Looking foraward to the first race tmorrow night.

---------- Post added at 9:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:32 PM ----------

Oh and matty wish your mate the best of luck for next year and text me his name so I can keep an eye on him

---------- Post added at 9:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:33 PM ----------

Actually VR6 thats interesting that its very restrictive away from the TT 2 weeks. Is there loads of enforcement if the road is only one way then?

---------- Post added at 9:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:35 PM ----------

Actually VR6 thats interesting that its very restrictive away from the TT 2 weeks. Is there loads of enforcement if the road is only one way then?

Been watching the build up too. I wont ever be a biker but I love to watch/ listen/ gasp etc. Would love to go there some other time of the year to take it in and drive the mountain part :)

50 weeks of the year the mountain road is two way and has no speed limit. TT fortnight they make it one way and although it's still de-restricted they have loads of cones and temporary speed limits at certain places to slow/control the traffic.

10+ years ago most of the 37 mile course was de-restricted, apart from the towns and villages along the way. But they've gradually enforced more and more speed limits as the years go by. These days hardly any of the TT course, apart from the mountain, is de-restricted.

The rest of the roads on the IOM are largely de-restricted though so there are more than plenty of decent roads to take in if you want to deviate away from the official course.

I'm not a huge fan of the TT - as a local it's just added inconvenience and people driving like tossers for 2 weeks.

I couldn't recommend it enough though! :grin: Check out the daily (HD) coverage on ITV4 ...

I've been to it a few times all be it 25+ years ago!!

Amazing atmosphere, especially if you like bikes of any sort as they are all there. One of the years there was a rumour spreading that a brand new, the model had only just released, GPZ900R (and that's showing how long ago it was) written off on PDI... I could confirm the rumour as it was my uncle who had written it off. LOL

Saw plenty of crashed bikes parked up outside hotels and that was even before mad Sunday.

The whole fortnight is nuts. :)

......... Is there loads of enforcement if the road is only one way then? ...........

There is no way on earth you would even think about going over the mountain section the 'opposite' way when the one way is in place. The amount of traffic.. using every inch of the available '2 lane' road would make you not even want to be walking on it!.. though I may be remembering mad Sunday in particular.

Edited by Butterfly

It's only recent years that the mountain road has been one-way for the whole fortnight. Before about 5 years ago it only used to be Mad Sunday that got the one-way treatment.

And yep the police presence is absolutely immense for the entire fortnight. But you would have to be a moron to somehow manage to get the wrong way onto the mountain road.

I've done mad sunday 7 times before I sold my bikes in 2005.

Its real bucket list stuff and even if youre not a biker or are ever going to be one its worth just watching for the sheer spectacle of it all. I loved every minute of it but as old fartdom comes upon me i've no desire to do it again.

The guys that do this have spacehopper sizes titanium balls, it really is the ultimate race.

My hero David Jefferies, first man to do 125 mph lap met his maker 10 years ago this week, sleep well big man.

If you get the chance, go see it, if youre not impressed....youre dead

Loving the itv4 coverage ,,the riders are mental!

It makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end when the go through conker trees lent over on one wheel at 120mph!

Michael Dunlop is absolutely Mental!!

Watching the Superstock race last night and the last lap he put in was astonishing. Smashed the lap record for that classification and was only something like 3 seconds off the race bred machines on what's basically a standard road bike. The was a clip showing the guy he was battling for the lead with going round a left with his front wheel bouncing out to the right that made me soil myself. God only knows what he was feeling at that time

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Michael Dunlop is absolutely Mental!!

Watching the Superstock race last night and the last lap he put in was astonishing. Smashed the lap record for that classification and was only something like 3 seconds off the race bred machines on what's basically a standard road bike. The was a clip showing the guy he was battling for the lead with going round a left with his front wheel bouncing out to the right that made me soil myself. God only knows what he was feeling at that time

Watching it just now. There's four of them bunched up just now and their all going for it. Hat's off to the riders.

Dunlop again!

definately his year, that fella looks unstopable but fair play to anstey who ran him close in that last one