Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

21MPG

:(

ah, the joys of being a VR6 owner once again......260 miles out of £50 worth of fuel.....optimax

:cry:

I managed to get 468miles out of a tank with the 2.0 8v!

I never remembered any of my other VR6's being this bad, I swear I've managed 36mpg on a motorway run before now, certainly around 28mpg on average.

Is 21MPG really as bad as it sounds?

Bit of a stab in the dark from me here but could it not be because the engine hasn't been running for so long? Mabye it's just a bit tight at the moment. Or did I just spout a big pile o' sh1te?

I was averaging 30.1mpg on the motorway this weekend, to/from inters which I was quite impressed with. That was with the occassional 130 blast too :)

Well, I have been booting it (of course!) but even if I reset the MFA whislt cruising it only does 23mpg.

I wonder if my injectors are goosed, I know they don't like being stood?

I banged some Wynn's injector cleaner it to see if it'll clean it all out and improve matters.

Is that Wynns cleaner any good? Need to try something myself to clear up a running issue.

21mpg is too low mate, it's probably your gearing that's doing it? At 70 with standard gearing pre-Schrick I was getting 28mpg. Post-schrick and chip / throttle body it's gone up to 31mpg.

K

Can't be the gearing. 6th works out almost identical to stock 5th. 4000rpm is 100mph. 70 is about 3000rpm.

Hmm. not sure if the cleaner is any good, I just put it in as I knew the injectors had been stood a while so probably gummed up.

I don't think using the 8v lambda probe is helping either.....time to get a new VR6 one.

Oh yeah keep forgetting you've got 6th. Hmmm, not sure then, MAF sensor? You said it's gutless below 3000 and they certainly are when the MAF is operating out of range!

nothing comes up on VAG-COM about the MAF, but I have another I could try.

I think it feels flat due to the lack of the VGI, and the lumpiness of the light flywheel.

I got 312 miles for just under £40 (47 litres) on the run down, Optimax. Makes a change from high cost local motoring stop start journeys.

You won't get a code for the MAF unless it's A) Shorted to ground, B) totally dead or C) erratic signal. If it's operating out of range, i.e. not quite rich enough, or running sligthly too lean. The ECU won't code it, but the effect that has on the driveability is profound.

K

I'll try that other one then.

I did try unplugging the MAF, but it made it run like sh1t, so I ruled it out as being faulty.

It's definitely not running full power, well, it might be, but I'm sure the corrado doesn't weigh 3 tons.

Have you got the 4WD in the car yet Paul? Remember the Corrado shell is gonna weigh a bit more than your Golf did and that will affect the mpg quite a bit.

I get about 28mpg on the motorway, but only about 23mpg around town with a fairly stock engine & no 4WD

John

Not 4WD yet, but the 6 speed box with the syncro transfer box on it is bloody heavy as it is.

Plus I still had a full interior, 2 people ,luggage, a full size 16" spare wheel, a trolley jack and loads of tools with me. so it must have been knocking on for 1300Kgs easy.

diet time for the lardy corrado!

mine gets about 28mpg on a good constant cruise, but I've seen much lower than that before without even hacking it... any good rolling roads in Surrey/Middlesex area? Needs a tune up i think

My mate ran the VAG-COM on it again last night. he said the timing is very retarded.

My downpipe is blowing, so it could be drawing in air ahead of the lambda, and messing up it's readings.

I got 17mpg last night......and CoxyLaad had a drive of it and said it felt slower than his standard VR6!!! so that's 3 of us who think it's well down on power.

It's still an 8v exhaust too, which won't be helping matters....

I'll fix the exhaust ,then try the MAF. if that doesn't solve it, I'll try another ECU.

i regularly get under 20mpg from mine, according to the MFA at least but i know i get about 300 miles out of a tank full, IIRC the 16v tank is smaller than the VR's isnt it? £40 a tank....

I can get nearly 60 litres in my tank. It's guzzling it. I used half a tank last night to do 120 miles.

Use your AF meter - what does *that* say the mix is?

If you're running hugely rich, there's a problem, if not it's your driving!!

Like you say though, an air leak in the exhaust manifold will *not* help your lambda one bit. The ECU would probably over-richen the mix to compensate for the high air/fuel ratio it's seeing at the lambda. Have you got some heat resistant tape you can wrap the leaks up in?

A/F gaug isn't wired in yet, but that's another thing i need to do!

and it's not my driving. even if I reset the MFA whislt doing a steady 60mph it only says 27mpg and drops to 23 if I so much as look at the accelerator.

it's p1ssing me off now, i just has no go in it at all, I bet it's a about 60BHP, if that. I takes ages to do 100, and it'll only do 120flat out, that's no good.

I'll give it a check over tonight.

And it top it all off, the missus car has packed in, and her rabbit died this morning too..... :roll: :cry: :|

Well not that it helps you one jot, but my VR just passed it's MOT..

Makes me happy, anyway! :)

When you say "reset at a steady 60mph" does that mean you reset whilst coasting with your foot off the throttle?

Just been chatting to Vince at Stealth.

He mentioned the MAF, so that is the first port of call.

But what he did say, which interested me as I've heard it before, was that sometimes, when a freshly built up VR6 is started up for the first time, because there is no oil pressure, the rear cam jumps a tooth, which knocks out the timing and confuses the ECU (as the cam position sensor trigger is on the rear cam). Now this would account for the retarded timing reading we got off the VAG-COM.

So I'll try the maf, try a different ECU, and if neither works, then the manifold is coming off and i'l checking the timing. I checked it 4 times before I put the cam cover back on.....I'll be p1ssed if it's moved... :mad: